What's new

Why is thread & post editing time limited?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Nothing!
What does that even have to do with extended times for editing on a shaving forum?
Your post makes no sense!
humor

hyoo͞′mər

noun​

1. The quality that makes something laughable or amusing; funniness.
  2. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement.
  3. The ability to perceive, enjoy, or express what is amusing, comical, incongruous, or absurd.
:lol1:

humor

hyoo͞′mər

noun​

1. The quality that makes something laughable or amusing; funniness.
  2. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement.
  3. The ability to perceive, enjoy, or express what is amusing, comical, incongruous, or absurd.
:lol1:
Yeah I get it but when I write something humorous, I make sure that it has enough content so it can be understood as humorous. I typically don't just write a question and leave it open to interpretation. But that's just me!😉

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Yeah I get it but when I write something humorous, I make sure that it has enough content so it can be understood as humorous. I typically don't just write a question and leave it open to interpretation. But that's just me!😉
No worries. The judicious use of emoji's can often be helpful.
Sometimes I forget too.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I try to remember to add my "<eg>" at the end of any attempted humor.. or a ;)... but I forget as well. I do have an odd sense of humor... an acquired taste, perhaps, but I notice, quite a few other people here have similar odd tastes in humor.

No disrespect meant. I’ve belonged to quite a few forums in the last decade, and have been a moderator for two. Your above statement is simply not true.
OK, I'll be specific. Should have worded it differently:
(Every other forum "I have been a member of or have been a member of" allows edits all the time)
And to clarify, none of them are shaving related!
LRod

Each forum has its own dynamics: membership, technology, moderation policies and capacity, there are so many variables to consider.

Personally, I see no net benefit in increasing the editing time (or worse, creating a two tier system for payment). The primary argument seems to be that people worry about their typos, and this is true--I do as well. However, there are undoubtedly members who indirectly benefit from this: they may be dyslexic, or just struggle with English. Having a certain organic scrappiness to the posts (thanks autocorrect) means these posts are less likely to stand out.

We are only typing about shaving and other trivial topics, it's not like this is a philosophy board or some other academic community where people are judged on the form of their posts as well as the content.

None of the forums I've been a member of (mainly dogs, cars, RVs, bicycles, tv/audio, software, etc.) or operated (dog related) have had unlimited edit windows. Fifteen to 30 minutes (at a guess) seems typical of the forums with which I have experience. I live on the edge so set a window of two hours on mine (low traffic). I can't belong to all forums so I don't doubt that there are some that take a flexible approach to history. 🤷‍♂️

Each forum has its own dynamics: membership, technology, moderation policies and capacity, there are so many variables to consider.

Personally, I see no net benefit in increasing the editing time (or worse, creating a two tier system for payment). The primary argument seems to be that people worry about their typos, and this is true--I do as well. However, there are undoubtedly members who indirectly benefit from this: they may be dyslexic, or just struggle with English. Having a certain organic scrappiness to the posts (thanks autocorrect) means these posts are less likely to stand out.

We are only typing about shaving and other trivial topics, it's not like this is a philosophy board or some other academic community where people are judged on the form of their posts as well as the content.
The only worries I had are the possible typos and sometimes I remember to add something that I didn't think about before the expiration time. But two things:
1. I already know they won't change this based on the feedback here.
2. I'm ok with #1 since it was explained to me that I can simply reply to my own posts. I had never realized this and have already done it many times, Lol!!
And in the end, I realize it makes sense. Replying to your own post can be used as an editing tool without deleting the history of the original post. I'm good with that!
So that's that!
I don't have to think about this anymore, Lol!!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Some other forums may indeed allow extended editing times.
This forum isn't other forums. I think anyone you ask will agree with that sentiment.
Some other forums also have flame wars, political arguments, snarky trollish posters, and self obsessed members who scream "Use the search function" every time someone asks a question.
Those things don't make the forum better either.

Making another post for a correction has the added benefit of bumping the thread and getting more eyes on it.

Top Bottom