What's new

Why is thread & post editing time limited?

First and foremost, I love everything about the forum and the way everything works. But why are we limited in the amount of time in order to edit a Post/thread?
Every other forum I've ever belonged to allows you to edit a post whenever you want (even a year later if you'd like).
Many times I've remembered the following day about something that was supposed to be added to a post and then I'm unable to do so.
Seems counterintuitive to have to create another post for something that I remembered later on.
Another example: I've mistyped the name of a thread I've created and then realize it when it's to late.
Things sometimes change (or need to be added) in what you've posted and not being able to modify it is not productive. The liberty to modify your own post at your convenience should be allowed!
Something that should be considered!
LRod

The counter argument is that bad faith actors can ninja edit posts for disingenuous purposes. Giving people a small window encourages them to tidy up their posts in the moment in which they were written, but not go back and rewrite (or deface) history.
On a shaving forum?
I get that if this was a forum of politics, religion etc..
Again, every other forum allows edits all the time. And some I have been a member for years. And never have I seen any of that happen. If someone decides to modify something disingenuously, the moderators can simply delete the thread/post and/or deny the members access. And it's easy enough for someone to create a fresh nuisance post without modifying an existing one. So the counter argument is flawed in my opinion. So how about we get at least 24 hours for editing?
I think that would be fair!
LRod

I agree that the likelihood would seem less on a shaving forum, but read the sticky in the Honing sub. People get exercised about all sorts of topics.

More common, sadly, is rage quitting and deleting their content on the way out, which can render threads unintelligible.

Personally, I don't mind the restriction: this is the first time I have encountered it, but I've adapted just fine. 😊

I agree that the likelihood would seem less on a shaving forum, but read the sticky in the Honing sub. People get exercised about all sorts of topics.

More common, sadly, is rage quitting and deleting their content on the way out, which can render threads unintelligible.

Personally, I don't mind the restriction: this is the first time I have encountered it, but I've adapted just fine. 😊
Well, I guess it is what it is. I mean I've been dealing with it since becoming a member here but it's sometimes limiting when I remember something to add later on. Age doesn't help, Lol!
Thanks anyways,
LRod

It may be my ageing memory but I do seem to notice an increase of the editing window of opportunity the longer you have been a member.

When I first joined it seems to have been about 15 minutes, but now after 9 months, it seems to be closer to 50 minutes.

If I am inaccurate here, please, someone with technical knowledge, or vast numbers of years in the Brother/Sisterhood of B&B please correct me.

It may well be that I lose consciousness more and I am unaware of time. I accept that.

However, if anyone is sarcastic, or mocks my failing powers, I will be forced to contact a moderator with a request to delete all my posts.

As is natural and just, isn't it. :letterk1:

Well, it has been over a week now, and I can still edit this post.

Remarkable.

I think the older you are, the longer the edit time @LRod.

What was the question again?

Last edited:
We're given just enough time to go back and change there to they're or their, then to than, its to it's, should of to should have, and to actually attach that glorious image file that we've just finished waxing so eloquently about.
Do you mind if I add, cause to because? This one I see all over the digital world these days. Ugh. 🤦‍♂️

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
We have seen some cases of ninja editing by troublesome members who want to provoke without being caught, but to be fair in that regard- the Mod Team can see all edited versions of a post so while it's irritating, that's not the major reason.
As @silverlifter pointed out, we have early on had issues with some members getting upset and deleting valuable content out of spite.
Again, it is possible for the Mod Team to go back and restore that content, but if there are several posts it becomes difficult and time consuming. Photos can be lost in the process.
The standard 15 minute (or 45 minute window for 50/45 users) seems to be a good one to allow correction of "oops!" issues while preserving content which is the lifes blood of the forum.
Because we are NOT a political or controversial site is actually all the more reason!
Posts made in the heat of the moment and which are controversial are easier to delete than restoring deleted posts done while upset.
We've found that understanding and knowing that there is a time limit has encouraged members to consider their comments and contributions before hitting the "post reply" button.
Nothing is carved in stone though, there may be some circumstances for some members in the future to allow for a longer editing window, but details like that take a LONG time to work through here so that detrimental side effects don't come into play.
Adding a post to say "I forgot to mention..." bumps up a thread and actually encourages more folks to read it.

Last edited:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
The current limit is no problem, usually if I mess up my post I know straight away and can delete or fix it. If I forget something I have no problem posting later as a follow up.
I agree too that it would cause problems with some of the more troublesome members who could delete or alter posts to destroy a thread. One now ex-member and valued member of the wet shaving community had a famous meltdown on the way out recently You moderators are watchful!! ✌🏻 - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/you-moderators-are-watchful.626255/post-11823649
Also were I the sort of person who had a dislike of a particular shaving soap say....Arko I could start a thread saying how great Arko is and once @FarmerTan had left a message agreeing with my post I could alter it to make it appear as if the tanned farmer were actually agreeing with an Arko hater and then where would we be, nothing on this site could be trusted any more.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Also if you could edit a post without restriction there would have to be an alert for a post you liked or commented on has been altered.

If only I could have edited my previous post to include this extra information...

...it would have made no difference at all

bowel leathering

:scared:

or "My fist shave"
Narrator: This is Mr Sanchez. Mr. Sanchez likes to have his stool pushed in.

(completely out of context, but don't ask for a video link. It's still a terrible video) :lol:
Edit: OK, it's from "Billy's Dad is fudge packer." That is all I am saying, it's on youbube.

I'm in the camp that wishes the editing window were longer, at least 24 hours. It bugs me to see that I made a typo or made a less coherent comment than I was shooting for and can't do anything about unless I catch it immediately. It seems to be what, an hour or two until you cannot edit a post? I wish that policy was changed.

Couldn’t agree more with CCS. What with my tri-focal glasses and silly keyboard auto correct it’s very frustrating not to be able to edit a post after I’ve cleaned my glasses, had a cuppa coffee and a snooze.

Everyone here is very helpful and knowledgeable. There are no trolls and no big egos needing to be right all the time. It would be wonderful if I could edit DE85 to DE89 on one of my posts where I got the model wrong on a Razor I was discussing. Didn’t notice until the next day.
Aren’t we all adults here? We gotta be pretty grown up to need to shave. 😊
Unless things have changed being as I was born around the same time as The Beatles.
Do 14 year olds shave nowadays?

Bring back permanent or longer editing for us old farts please.

Camping next to CCS and getting a banner ready for the protest parade. 👍🤭

Top Bottom