What's new

Why is this on a page for razor blades?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Was looking at razor blades; as one does; and found the following disclaimer:

Important information
Legal Disclaimer

Please handle with care, sharp objects.

Statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition.

Why?!?!

From this page — Amazon.com - https://smile.amazon.com/STAINLESS-Polymer-Coated-Double-Safety/dp/B0017QSSIC/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_15?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RJHGAW80PT950PPARGP0

Maybe to deter someone from SWALLOWING their pride ?

On a serious note, people can do anything stupid when desperate, so companies tend to set disclaimer that the product is not intended for ingestion, dietary alternative etc.

There are cases where people did stupid stuff and then sued the company for " not telling them that product is not intended for such use ".

Like a woman ate fruits loops (not fruit but fried, colored sweet stuff) and then sued the company for tricking her into thinking that she is eating real fruits.

Also, some people are prone to eating non edible objects.

I wonder about some of these warning labels. Like this one, for example:

1609995163658.png

Any person who can read probably knows better. Young kids or animals can't read the warning, but they are the ones who might try it.

I seem to remember stories of carnival geeks eating glass, nails and razor blades as part of their shows back in the day. I’m assuming it was somehow faked. Maybe they want to discourage people from adding razor blades to their diets.

There are cases where people did stupid stuff and then sued the company for " not telling them that product is not intended for such use ".
When Apple released the iPod Shuffle in 2005, they added warnings to the user manuals to alert people not to mistake them as sticks of gum. This was probably mainly aimed at small children who will put anything in their mouths.

proxy.php

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The warning they used is not an anti-Darwinian warning in the general sense. They weren’t warning against risk of severe injury or death - they were warning against using it like a health supplement.

Though, having ingested gummy iron supplements, the razor blades are probably tastier…

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I've been seeing that on Amazon a lot with all types of products that it doesn't apply to.
Not something I am concerned about, as I wouldn't eat razor blades. However, I love crayons! 😁

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
They sure goofed on this page too, unless Clubman Osage Rub is actually a good flea and tick repellent.
Warning! Please don't try this on your cat, it will kill them.

Screenshot_20210104-185912_kindlephoto-36312858.png

I had a pager years ago where the instruction manual had warnings about not swallowing the battery, and calling the national battery ingesting hotline if you do. Then they added "Do not swallow the battery door."

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I had a pager years ago where the instruction manual had warnings about not swallowing the battery, and calling the national battery ingesting hotline if you do. Then they added "Do not swallow the battery door."
I swallowed a screen door once.....

Here is the disclaimer for Astra blades:

Disclaimer: While we work to ensure that product information is correct, on occasion manufacturers may alter their ingredient lists. Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and/or different information than that shown on our Web site. We recommend that you do not solely rely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer. Content on this site is for reference purposes and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. You should not use this information as self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. Information and statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition. Amazon.com assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements about products.

Explore more from across the store
Page

Top Bottom