What's new

Why is there such a shortage Hennessy cognac in the country?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
ohhh-snap-png.863387
Ohhh Snap! I looked around my town...no cognac to be had.

Asked by - Laitmass Schmidtschneider - 14th June, 2020

"The shortage exists because there was an unprecedented spike in Hennessy sales in the first quarter of 2017. The unexpected demand depleted the supply. According to Cognac.com: While LVMH revenues from the United States grew at a lower pace than other global regions, sales of Hennessy cognac skyrocketed.

Beside this, is there a Hennessy shortage?

There's a Hennessy Shortage. In April of 2017, executives from Hennessy announced that a possible Hennessy shortage could happen by the end of the year. By October, that shortage was confirmed, and suddenly people were very aware of the lack of bottles on store shelves.

Furthermore, why is Hennessy so expensive? Distilling other liquors is much less expensive than distilling cognac. 90% of other liquors are produced using distilling procedures where the cost is very low. But with cognac it's the opposite: Distilling wine from grape juice is a long and complicated process. Also, the alcohol comes from grapes – not grain.

Besides, will we run out of cognac?

The world's supply of cognac is running low. Part of that is because LVMH would rather hold on to the stuff and sell it later in China, where consumers prefer aged cognacs and pay roughly three times the U.S. price per bottle. Production can't be ramped up quickly. Cognac needs at least two years of aging".

Read More: Say What? A shortage of Hennessy?

proxy.php
“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good [cognac] is barely enough”. Mark Twain

It's not only a matter of "ramping up." Cognac HAS been degraded over the last several decades. But the main throttle is that it can only be produced from grapes grown in the town of Cognac and Jarnac, and perhaps a couple of other nearby places.

We have plenty in AZ. Our local store has the following in stock.

1605476672597.png
1605476686356.png
1605476807632.png

and if you want to spend close to $3,000 you can get this version (Paradis Imperial)

1605476875576.png

Interesting. There seems to be plenty of Hennessy in the Washington, DC area. I have have noticed a greater variety of good cognacs showing up on shelved recently, like various expressions of Park. I cannot really speak to prices, although I noticed the Kirkland (Costco) XO, which I like quite a bit, seemed to go down in price recently from around $60, to not that much north of $40. which seems like a really good deal.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I know that import problems also have contributed to shortages and delays this year for other products. I wouldn't be surprised if that has contributed in some degree to cognac.

It's not only a matter of "ramping up." Cognac HAS been degraded over the last several decades. But the main throttle is that it can only be produced from grapes grown in the town of Cognac and Jarnac, and perhaps a couple of other nearby places.
The growing region of Cognac is two whole departments of France...

600px-Map_of_Cognac_Regions3.svg.png

Top Bottom