What's new

Why is Proraso Soap not more popular?

I was online looking to replacing my tube of proraso that ran out.
I WAS looking at the superlather site to buy the big 500ml proraso, but then i noticed that i can only use paypal or check/money order i decided to look else-where.

So i bought 2 tubs of Proraso Soap from another website and when it arrived i was amazed.

I use significantly less than the cream, and it makes a great lather.
The cooling effect is a LOT less noticeable than the cream, but i still get the great thick creamy lather that i got with the cream.

I dont think i'm going to buy the cream anymore.

Anyone know if the soap comes in a bigger size than 150ml?

It's great stuff, there's no question about it. I use several other soaps and creams, but it seems like Proraso gives me the best results (the Green Tea and Aloe). Tabac is close second.

I personally get better results with Proraso in the green tub than with Tabac. I think the softness of the soap makes up for the water issues here in Dallas.

I plan on trying the soap in the white tub, in addition to the pre/post, balm, and the AS splash.

If I could buy it at Bath and Body Works, if CO Bigelow made a branded version, I would buy it.

I'm just not big on mail order right now.

-Mason

I think some people just may not like the cooling effect of the lather, I am one, but I do like the Red Proraso much better. Got a stash of that some time ago, sorry they don't make it any more. It is a good cream.

I think some people just may not like the cooling effect of the lather, I am one, but I do like the Red Proraso much better. Got a stash of that some time ago, sorry they don't make it any more. It is a good cream.

Have you ever tried the Proraso Soap?

Either the soap has 1/4th the cooling effect of the cream, or i'm just used to it.

Actually I haven't tried the soap, I figured it would all be pretty much the same. If it doesn't have the same amount of menthol in it, it might be worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Currently been using the Proraso green tube for the past 4 months.

Using just the cream does not protect or moisturize my face compared to other products. The cooling effect only works if one uses more than the suggested amount. Super lathers well.

IMO as others have mentioned Proraso is overrated. However Gio likes the product line. Skeptical of the soap but could try in the future. Based on posts the soap may moisturize better than creams.

For dry skins, I suggest staying away from the Proraso line. American soaps emphasize glycerin thus providing more moisturizing.

Currently been using the Proraso green tube for the past 4 months.

Using just the cream does not protect or moisturize my face compared to other products. The cooling effect only works if one uses more than the suggested amount. Super lathers well.

IMO as others have mentioned Proraso is overrated. However Gio likes the product line. Skeptical of the soap but could try in the future. Based on posts the soap may moisturize better than creams.

For dry skins, I suggest staying away from the Proraso line. American soaps emphasize glycerin thus providing more moisturizing.

No, the soap does as much moisturizing as the cream, hardly at all. In fact, after about 20 minutes after shaving, if i dont apply some kind of aftershave my face feels like i just walked through a desert sand storm, DRY DRY DRY.

I dont mind this because it gives me a chance to apply extra aftershaves, which i really enjoy the scent of.

The cooling effect of the cream was a bit too much for me, more than once it felt like a stinging sensation instead of cooling. But the soap has a milder cooling effect compared to the cream, enjoyable even on cold days.

But even so, i get comfortable SLICK shaves from my proraso soap, its only after the fact that the dryness starts coming out.

I hardly consider the Proraso a soap. It's more like a very thick cream to me, and I associate the performance more with cream-- unlike something like the Valobra soft soaps, which are more toward the soapy side of the spectrum.

I think people who lean toward soaps want something more soaplike than the Proraso.

Well, the main reason i stayed away from the Proraso "soap" for so long is because that i've read these forums for so long and just assumed it was exactly like the cream.

I know its nowhere NEAR what real soap is, but the container says soap, so i say soap also.

Just bought a tub Proraso Soap, i actually thought it was a cream in a tub but its way to hard for a cream.

Produced mountains of lather in an instant for me, lovely sent too :smile:

I used the CO Bigelow version for about six months and recently purchased the real Proraso from Lee at Lee's Razors. The difference is very noticeable: more of a menthol kick, cream is more smooth and builds a slicker lather.

The summer I was using all the time this soap.

Really cool and dirty cheap!

I get great results from this soap and sometimes I use it with cream to create superlather!

Thought I could only use it in the warmer summer months but I was wrong.

I use Proraso cream and "soap" both and if you use hot water, and are in a warm steamy area, (ie. in the shower, or if you shave right after the shower while there is plenty of warm steam all around) the feeling is fresh. Great scent too. Go out and buy both, they're both great!

Anyone know if the soap comes in a bigger size than 150ml?

Not that I've seen, but one 147g/150ml tub has lasted me pretty much 5 months so far (using it about 70% of the time) and there's still about half left... on an everyday basis I'd expect 6 months to be a ballpark for longevity.

Really enjoy ProRaso (it's with QED and HBS in my rotation). Picked mine up for $5-$6 when visiting my old barber in Toronto.

My 150g tub (which I use probably 40% of the time) doesn't have much of a dent after close to a year -- I don't know why one would want or need to buy more at a time.

- Richard

For me, the Proraso White (with green tea) is my go-to soap, although I regard it as a thicker cream, not necessarily as a soap. It does wonders for my sensitive skin, it provides great cushion, and moisturizes very well.

Top Bottom