What's new

Why is it called 'wet shaving'

Why is it what we do with shave creams, soaps, brushes and razors 'wet shaving'? The old foam in a can and cartridge shaving is also done wet? Why the distinction? :001_huh:

Because electric shaving was dry shaving. Wet shaving is a much older word than the recent revival in the western world.

When I started shaving, people mainly used soap and brush (wet) or electrics (dry). Canned did not get popular here before the late eighties.

I prefer "Traditional Shaving", or "Vintage Shaving". I never liked Wet Shaving. It doesn't make sense.

I always understood it as "shaving which requires making lather by combining soap with water", hence the "wet" part. As opposed to shaving with canned chemical sludge, or with a miniature electric lawnmower, which requires no such addition of water.

It makes sense to me like that, even if it's probably wrong in the absolute sense.

Amen.

I see the general answer has already been given. But to elaborate more, many would consider DE or straight shaving with soap and brush to be true wet shaving, while cartridges and can foam are kind of that bastard cousin you try to avoid. Lol, sry, that may have been harsher sounding than intended. As I car guy, Id try to equate it by saying; to me, a 1968 Camaro SSRS is a muscle car; whereas a 2014 Camaro SS (while intended to be a modern muscle car), is just not. I suppose its a matter of age, perspective, etc.

I think what the OP means, why is only using DEs/SEs/Straights is considered "wet shaving"? It seems carts and canned goop isn't. I've noticed that myself. The term "wet shaving" is always used to describe the more tradition forms of shaving, which makes no sense. When I used carts and goop, I did it in the shower, so technically that was wet shaving as well.

The term is a misnomer. It would more appropriately be called "safety razor" or "straight razor" shaving. But the term "wet shaving" has come to represent a certain retro subculture/hobby.

As Wittgenstein said, meaning is use. That's the term that people use for DE and straight shaving, and everybody seems to get it.

I'm guessing it's because of the water y'all use to make lather and stuff. Might be wrong though.

Cart shaving is also wet shaving, whether some of you like it or not.

Last edited:
I have seen some explanations here as to why some people refer to "wet shaving" as limited to traditional shaving pre-cartridge style, with DE, SE, injector, straight, shavette, or extinct varieties such as the Techmatic band shaver. Wet shaving meant not using an electric. Some marketing articles still refer to all non-electric shaving as the "wet shaving market", which in USA would be 75 percent of men who shave and would include users of quickie goop and cartridges.
Because of the ambiguity of just what wet shaving is included in what someone would call "wet shaving", I prefer to refer to non-cartridge wet shaving as "traditional shaving".

I spent decades wet shaving with carts. I still wet shave with the despised 'canned goop' - and yes, it is used with water. You do not apply it to a dry face.

FWIW, in the decade after canned shave cream was introduced, 2 out of 3 shavers switched...and that was way before carts. I think Gillette Foamy works great with carts OR with DE razors. You do not need a brush to use a DE razor...

My general understanding is "wet shaving" is using water, lather/cream, and a razor (varying types - carts injectors etc.).
"traditional wet shaving" is using a DE, SE, Straight razor and others in use before the modern carts, injectors etc.

Top Bottom