What's new

Why Is Hold Music Uniformly Awful?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Got a news flash....this is how 911 is done

I don't want to know what our hold music would sound like!:barbershop_quartet_:letterk1:
I'm not opposed to that. The Military uses a similar protocol to ensure that people who have a process "memorized" haven't memorized it with a few steps missing.
Though I do think there's a difference in the need for such measures between critical path stuff and phone in sales help from a company or fast food workers!

I usually put it on speaker, lower the vol and tune the music out while I do something else on my computer. My wife can't stand it. I will usually monitor the line for her. If it goes over an hour, even I hang up.

I love sites, like Dyson, that say the wait will be 10+ minutes, would you like to be called back. Heck yea!!. As annoyed as I was with Dyson over a recent problem, they were pretty good at getting back in a reasonable time.

1645740044732.png

I usually put it on speaker, lower the vol and tune the music out while I do something else on my computer. My wife can't stand it. I will usually monitor the line for her. If it goes over an hour, even I hang up.

I love sites, like Dyson, that say the wait will be 10+ minutes, would you like to be called back. Heck yea!!. As annoyed as I was with Dyson over a recent problem, they were pretty good at getting back in a reasonable time.
I'm like your wife.

Proof that hold music can be wonderful came on a Simpson's episode in which baby Maggie goes missing.

Homer calls the police department.

Police: Police department. How can I help you?
Homer: I'd like the Department of Missing Babies
Police: Please hold
(Hold music: "Baby Come Back")

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Proof that hold music can be wonderful came on a Simpson's episode in which baby Maggie goes missing.

Homer calls the police department.

Police: Police department. How can I help you?
Homer: I'd like the Department of Missing Babies
Police: Please hold
(Hold music: "Baby Come Back")
The War of even laffed at this one! Well done!

I think perhaps worse than phone hold music, is background music chosen for training videos. Why is this even necessary? Posting this because I'm currently in a training video for work, and they used this for at least 10 minutes. Perhaps the trainer wanted to build in a coffee/bathroom break for themselves...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think perhaps worse than phone hold music, is background music chosen for training videos. Why is this even necessary? Posting this because I'm currently in a training video for work, and they used this for at least 10 minutes. Perhaps the trainer wanted to build in a coffee/bathroom break for themselves...
Kinda like a disc jockey!

I wish I could find this on YouTube, but there was a great book on Second City that came with two even better CD's of material performed by them. One was a hold music routine where the operator is just singing the hold music.

Hold music is bad because any song you've ever heard is both subject to licensing fees and/or royalties, and like Phil said there's at least one person out there who hates every song ever written. Generic, non threatening, low-key music is written specifically for this use case.

They can't leave you in silence because most people will wonder if they've been disconnected, hang up, and start the whole process over.

There's a great podcast episode about the history of Muzak.... and the surprising Seattle Grunge connection to it! When Muzak Met Grunge - https://slate.com/podcasts/decoder-ring/2021/06/muzak-grunge-elevator-music

Top Bottom