What's new

Why is GEM PTFE so much better than uncoated?

I considered tacking on to the thread from 2 years, 3 months ago that I started asking to compare ptfe and not coated. I decided to start a new thread because that question really was answered and this is a new question. For the record, I have been happily using the ptfe blades since in my ATT G1.

I ask for thoughts on this because of two things I have experienced.

1. I tried the uncoated GEM blades and thought they were horrible.
2. I am in the process of testing out some Kai DE blades with others (in the Grundi thread), and Kai claims they are not coated with anything. I find them to be fine blades.

First off, I was surprised I found the Kai as good as I did because I had tried them some years back and found them to be very harsh. I did not like them at all. This time around I find nothing wrong with them. I'm sure my shaving skills have improved in the past few years and I've learned some things.

So this gets me to thinking again about the GEM blades. Why should the uncoated blades be so much worse? One would assume both blades would be sharpened exactly the same. This doesn't make sense. I can see how the ptfe coating would provide some extra glide, but only for a few shaves. Most of us use the GEM blades at least 5 or 6 times. This is apparent from the current thread going in this forum now. Simple logic would tell me that by the third or fourth shave, the blades should be the same. This does not seem to be the case. Most people find the ptfe far, far better than the uncoated version.

If I could find some uncoated SS GEM blades in a store near me, I would buy a package and do some new trials. I'm too lazy to end up paying $10 to $15 for a package of five, and waiting weeks to get them (which is what it took the last time I ordered from tryablade - the USPS seems to be a mess).

I'm wondering two things:
1. What your thoughts are on why the uncoated blades are perceived to be so much worse.
2. If anyone knows of a store brand that are really the GEM SS uncoated blades. I'm going into the big city of Bangor next week and I'll pick up some if they're available.

I’ve never really understood the theory behind coated blades. There are good uncoated DE blades so why not the SE.
Since only the apex of the blade touches your face, I would think that any coating would be obliterated after the first few strokes.
I have GEM PTFE blades, but no uncoated GEM blades to compare to. Are uncoated really that bad. Everyone complains about the “breaking in” time (3 shaves) for PTFE blades, perhaps the PTFE just gets worn off after the first three strokes and it’s basically an uncoated? I shave with GEM, and other Carbon SE blades which are fine, even though they are uncoated. Coated...uncoated, they all seem to start giving their best shaves by their fourth outing.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I considered tacking on to the thread from 2 years, 3 months ago that I started asking to compare ptfe and not coated. I decided to start a new thread because that question really was answered and this is a new question. For the record, I have been happily using the ptfe blades since in my ATT G1.

I ask for thoughts on this because of two things I have experienced.

1. I tried the uncoated GEM blades and thought they were horrible.
2. I am in the process of testing out some Kai DE blades with others (in the Grundi thread), and Kai claims they are not coated with anything. I find them to be fine blades.

First off, I was surprised I found the Kai as good as I did because I had tried them some years back and found them to be very harsh. I did not like them at all. This time around I find nothing wrong with them. I'm sure my shaving skills have improved in the past few years and I've learned some things.

So this gets me to thinking again about the GEM blades. Why should the uncoated blades be so much worse? One would assume both blades would be sharpened exactly the same. This doesn't make sense. I can see how the ptfe coating would provide some extra glide, but only for a few shaves. Most of us use the GEM blades at least 5 or 6 times. This is apparent from the current thread going in this forum now. Simple logic would tell me that by the third or fourth shave, the blades should be the same. This does not seem to be the case. Most people find the ptfe far, far better than the uncoated version.

If I could find some uncoated SS GEM blades in a store near me, I would buy a package and do some new trials. I'm too lazy to end up paying $10 to $15 for a package of five, and waiting weeks to get them (which is what it took the last time I ordered from tryablade - the USPS seems to be a mess).

I'm wondering two things:
1. What your thoughts are on why the uncoated blades are perceived to be so much worse.
2. If anyone knows of a store brand that are really the GEM SS uncoated blades. I'm going into the big city of Bangor next week and I'll pick up some if they're available.
If you have a new Gem Ptfe blade just take some alcohol wipes and wipe it well a few times and your Teflon should disappear and leave you just a stainless steel blade to try out is my suggestion. The PTFE is there for smoothing out the blade when in first & second or more uses.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Therefore stropping an uncoated blade should suit the same function, smoothing out the factory imperfections.
It should remove the Teflon coating for sure, most coatings usually have a couple important functions from my limited research is to smooth out the shave and some elements like Platinum and Iridium are to support the fine edge to give better life of edge.
Stropping straightens out those little curled edges, those edges are measured in Millionths of inch to give us that nice shave edge.
razor edge (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

I’ve never really understood the theory behind coated blades. There are good uncoated DE blades so why not the SE.
Since only the apex of the blade touches your face, I would think that any coating would be obliterated after the first few strokes.
I have GEM PTFE blades, but no uncoated GEM blades to compare to. Are uncoated really that bad. Everyone complains about the “breaking in” time (3 shaves) for PTFE blades, perhaps the PTFE just gets worn off after the first three strokes and it’s basically an uncoated? I shave with GEM, and other Carbon SE blades which are fine, even though they are uncoated. Coated...uncoated, they all seem to start giving their best shaves by their fourth outing.

DE blades are, for the most part, made expressly to be used in shaving. SE blades, for the most part, and especially the PTFE coated ones, are made expressly for use in laboratory and pathology instruments slicers and dicers; we're using them "off label". For those applications the coatings may make a big difference.

I've read somewhere that all stainless blades, DE or SE, are coated with something, just not always PTFE.

Want to try a great blade? Get some Treet carbon steel Falcon or Dura-Sharp DE blades. They have a coating that retards rust. If I'm careful about drying the blades between shaves, I can make one last a month in my Shake-Sharp.

I can't even imagine what uncoated GEM blades must be like. I find the first two shaves on the PTFE ones to be almost unbearably harsh. They seem to mellow out after … the coating is gone? So confused :p

Top Bottom