What's new

Why is everyone removing the tallow!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are so many soap makers removing the tallow from their products!!

There used to be so many amazing tallow soaps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the new trend. The basis for it is that animals contribute much more to climate change than grain crops, but until we start eating less meat, the beef fat is still out there and I think better made into soap that going to a landfill or something equally bad.

I like what Rod says on the Stirling website.

"Using animal fats in soaps is a practice that dates back thousands of years. They make for a hard, great lathering bar of soap that is rich in fatty acids. Plus, we believe that if animals are to be consumed, there should be no part of that animal that goes to waste. "

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
My uneducated guess is to comply with market regulations. From a company perspective, it's better to make something than can be sold anywhere rather than something than cannot.

To produce palm oil, the fruit is collected from the trees, which can live an average of 28 to 30 years. However, once the trees grow too high, making it difficult to reach the fruit, they are cut down to make room for new trees - which contributes to deforestation of the rainforest.

To keep up with the incredibly high demand for the cheaply produced oil, acres of rainforest are being cut down - leading to a loss of animal habitat for endangered species.

In the past 16 years, the quest for palm oil has led to the death of an estimated 100,000 orangutans, according to research.

Other animals such as elephants, rhinos and tigers are also at risk.

I think that the E.U. has concerns about BSE and that that is a big part of the move away from tallow. I'm surprised that this is not talked about more on the forums. Animals unfit for human consumption are still rendered for their fats.

It’s not all bad. The farther I get from my pack a day habit the more I notice that gamey tallow scent. Except for tabac. With tabac I only smell tabac.

Palm oil is supposed to be the next thing, it's also being used as a substitute for trans fats (which has to be removed from the USA market by...next year?). The bad news is palm oil cultivation is very, very unethical. It damages complete ecosystems, among other things.

That said, there are good tallow soaps and terrible ones. There's also good soaps that have no tallow. Williams and Arko are tallow but they leave much to be desired, while Proraso was never tallow yet it's amazing. All I'm suggesting is don't write off a shaving soap just because of its lack of tallow.

Just because some thing has been done for a long time doesn’t make it good. I don’t see any reason to Support an objectively cruel industry when there are many good alternatives.

I've been De shaving for a few years now and tallow soaps are kind of like
the original soaps to me, tallow soaps were considered better soaps and I ran
with that thought. And that may well be wrong as I have some very good
non tallow soaps too. If I shaved not knowing if a soap was tallow or not
I probably couldn't tell a real difference. Unfortunately in todays world personal
choice is becoming less of an option. If I want to eat 3 pizzas and wash it down
with 2 gallons of corn syrup or 8 "big gulps" it should be my choice.
Is obtaining tallow from an animal cruel? Or is it a byproduct of the animals life
span. Man has been killing and eating animals for a long time

I'll keep buying tallow soaps as long as they are available...Arko isn't going anywhere.

I mixed Arko and Proraso once and it was very interesting.

I do enjoy tallow soaps. However if these new non-tallow soaps turn up to be like Saponificio Varesino, I’m 100% down for that! :001_tt2:

Palm oil is supposed to be the next thing, it's also being used as a substitute for trans fats (which has to be removed from the USA market by...next year?). The bad news is palm oil cultivation is very, very unethical. It damages complete ecosystems, among other things.

That said, there are good tallow soaps and terrible ones. There's also good soaps that have no tallow. Williams and Arko are tallow but they leave much to be desired, while Proraso was never tallow yet it's amazing. All I'm suggesting is don't write off a shaving soap just because of its lack of tallow.

I don't understand the cult of tallow. I've used some really mediocre, expensive tallow soaps, like C&E Sandalwood, for instance (which I believe was made in the UK). Not everything tallow is gold.

Godrej shave rounds don't have any tallow in them at all but, aside from being a bit drying, the shave is identical to what you'ld get with many tallow soaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom