What's new

Why is B&B like it is?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Why are the members of B&B so civil and helpful to each other here?

Is it because most traditional wet shaves are just that way?

I understand that the modified do a great job of directing the flow of information and entertainment on B&B but surely there is something more too it.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I think it has something to do with most of us being gentlemen who appreciate the finer art of wet shaving. I think the straight razor users among us in particular have more patience. That patience is a reflection of who we are and how we act.
Well-stated. The kind and civil discourse on B&B provides an oasis in a desert of toxic social media platforms, and the folks who moderate and otherwise keep the lights on do a stellar job of preserving it.

If you agree, and appreciate what B&B provides, being a ‘Contributor‘ is a great way to say ‘thank you’ to B&B and to maintain that inertia of kindness and civility.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have read, although not joined, several other shaving forums and not found them as civil or refined as B&B, in fact quite the opposite. ....
I have had a similar experience as @Eclipse Red Ring with other shaving forums. This indicates to me that it is not just the subject of traditional wet shaving and those who wet shave that produces a forum like B&B. There is something else that makes B&B the oasis that it is.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think that B&B presents itself as an oasis in the toxic wasteland, where we all expect decent behavior from each other.
That expectation of civil behavior is recognized.
Some people seek B&B out because of it, some people stumble upon B&B and stay here because of it.
The folks that for whatever reason can't abide by that standard of conduct that we all respect are weeded out rather quickly so that they don't contaminate this oasis.

As a new member i joined because of the consistently positive attitudes of the members. The willingness to help others experience better shaving stands out. I think this attracts people who have a similar nature.

The PIF's were a surprise to me. While I didn't go looked for one, I do feel I will gift one in the near future.
edit: to adjust wording to more correctly reflect that a fellow member has messaged me to set up a PIF. Which I am still touched by.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think part of what plays into the positive attitude is that new people are not flamed for asking questions that have been asked and answered hundreds of times before.
Rather than getting a curt "Use the search function noob" as is the case with many online forums, people are genuinely happy to answer the same question over and over again.
This display of patience and kindness is catchy. It inspires others to be better.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Well posed question on a subject I've often thought about.

There's definitely something special about B&B that transcends mere civility: it's a sense of real community.

I think part of it comes from there being so few of us spread so widely apart. It's kind of odd to try to spark up a conversation with a stranger--or even a friend--with, "How was your shave this morning?" Yet here we're able to do it all the time. It's the currency of our community.

Naturally, we're all cut from different bolts of cloth, but we're tailored in much the same way. We tend to be gracious rather than sarcastic; welcoming rather than aloof; tolerant instead of judgmental. At least, that's the sense I've gotten since having joined back in 2011. There was no noobie hazing, no condescension and no impatience at naïve questions. All I got was help and encouragement.

Much as I enjoy my "brothers in the blade" here, I've come to doubly value everyone's participation during the pandemic. Isolated as I am, B&B permits me entry into a world of gentle and generous folk who, among other things, value an old-fashioned and relaxing ritual that would otherwise be just a quaint relic of a slower, more welcoming world.

Bless you all!

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I agree with the above. The civility and general attitude is contagious. It always seems that everyone approaches any subject knowing that there are multiple points of view and that all are valid. No bashing or belittling, just honest open conversation. It is truly enjoyable and nobody wants to be "that person".

I came across B&B a year ago by accident.I couldn't believe how friendly everybody was and i got no sarcasm when i asked dumb questions just politeness and help.As a newbie of wet shaving i found the knowledge on here amazing.Also during lockdown you guy's stopped me from going crazy as i live alone so i thank you all.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I honestly could quote a LOT of the posts above. I think I have even said before that B and B is an oasis for me.

We all, no matter how much we might deny it, want to BELONG to a group, and as weird as I am, me and my Mickey Mouse ways have not only been embraced, but encouraged.

Simply stated, I feel "loved" here.

[Soliloquy Alert! Soliloquy Alert!]

AHEM, Gentlemen (and ladies of course), Gentlemen, Gentlemen. I believe we are looking at B&B incorrectly by labeling and referring to our fraternity and forum as a "Social Media" site/platform. That it is simply not true, not the case, not true indeed; patently wrong. We are no such thing. Having come from very humble socio-economic beginnings, I do not subscribe to the belief that one is destined to hold to the societal class, place or strata placed upon them at birth, nor are they to remain there but by choice. "Life is about choices; make good ones." Unlike many others, I didn't drink Coca Cola when I was young, but chose to break free of the crowd and chose to drink 7Up and revel in the uniqueness of being a member of the "Un-Cola" crowd. With that said, in common usage/acceptance, I think calling B&B a "Social Media platform" is a disservice and (like drinking the "Un-Cola," -- okay, you "Peppers" over there, I see you "longing to belong," you can join us, it's a big tent) we should tout B&B as the "original, often imitated, never duplicated (Hooters shoutout), "Un-Social Media Platform." In hopes of not being besmirched, confused or referred in the same breath as, or "guilt by association or reputation" the likes of FaceBook, Twitter, etc. or any of the other "Social Media Platforms" out there. The minute B&B degrades to that point, I shall leave and never darken its doorstep... AGAIN!

Some of the non Shaving forums I used to go to are pretty toxic. I think one reason is that they’re more “anything goes”. People will argue about religion and politics a lot, even in threads where that would seem off topic.
I like it here because (among other reasons) someone can ask “what’s the best soap” without responses getting political. I come here to avoid that stuff.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
[Soliloquy Alert! Soliloquy Alert!]

AHEM, Gentlemen (and ladies of course), Gentlemen, Gentlemen. I believe we are looking at B&B incorrectly by labeling and referring to our fraternity and forum as a "Social Media" site/platform. That it is simply not true, not the case, not true indeed; patently wrong. We are no such thing. Having come from very humble socio-economic beginnings, I do not subscribe to the belief that one is destined to hold to the societal class, place or strata placed upon them at birth, nor are they to remain there but by choice. "Life is about choices; make good ones." Unlike many others, I didn't drink Coca Cola when I was young, but chose to break free of the crowd and chose to drink 7Up and revel in the uniqueness of being a member of the "Un-Cola" crowd. With that said, in common usage/acceptance, I think calling B&B a "Social Media platform" is a disservice and (like drinking the "Un-Cola," -- okay, you "Peppers" over there, I see you "longing to belong," you can join us, it's a big tent) we should tout B&B as the "original, often imitated, never duplicated (Hooters shoutout), "Un-Social Media Platform." In hopes of not being besmirched, confused or referred in the same breath as, or "guilt by association or reputation" the likes of FaceBook, Twitter, etc. or any of the other "Social Media Platforms" out there. The minute B&B degrades to that point, I shall leave and never darken its doorstep... AGAIN!
Well said my friend.

Top Bottom