What's new

Why is B&B like it is?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Some of the non Shaving forums I used to go to are pretty toxic. I think one reason is that they’re more “anything goes”. People will argue about religion and politics a lot, even in threads where that would seem off topic.
I like it here because (among reasons) someone can ask “what’s the best soap” without responses getting political. I come here to avoid that stuff.
And I like to think that everyone here KNOWS that I will answer, "IMHO, and YMMV (and be wrong) Arko is the best soap!"

I am the "Cliffy" of the watering hole that is "B&B" - I have no problem answering questions about stuff I have no idea the answer to.

I honestly could quote a LOT of the posts above. I think I have even said before that B and B is an oasis for me.

We all, no matter how much we might deny it, want to BELONG to a group, and as weird as I am, me and my Mickey Mouse ways have not only been embraced, but encouraged.

Simply stated, I feel "loved" here.
To wit, we coronated you a king! All Hail, King @FarmerTan, Sovereign of Arkoland!

Additionally, any man who can call his missus "War Department" and live to tell the tale earns a certain amount of respect.

Edit: I just noticed this . . .
1627573368602.png

"Dave himself". Awesome.

Last edited:
Unlike many others, I didn't drink Coca-Cola when I was young but chose to break free of the crowd and chose to drink 7Up and revel in the uniqueness of being a member of the "Un-Cola" crowd.
I now have a disturbing craving for 7-Up. Seriously. I'm usually a Pepsi guy (go ahead, haters!) but thinking about that "un-cola" thing, the bubbles, the thought of recollected sweetness on ice . . . man, now I gotta have some.

Okay, last entry, I promise . . .

I could answer, of course, but there is little of interest or uniqueness that I could add. I will say, however, B&B was the one site that continuously popped up when I was first trying to wean myself from cartridges and canned goo. I haven't had the experience others have on other shave forums, but I can scarcely imagine any possible desire to be anywhere else. You all make my daily world a little brighter for being here and being yourselves.

I have been on other forums and B&b stands out.
When my dad was terminal ill somehow it sunk in why waste time with shaving (self censored) who call each other names because someone uses something lesser in their opinion.
I even left B&b some time… but I came back since b&b audience is a lot more relaxed. Sure we like to poke from time to time but everything goes with a smile and a good laugh.
The moderators do their best to keep us in line with the carved in stone rules and prevent lots of uproar. Which must have been difficult past year.

so people I am happy with you!

Why are the members of B&B so civil and helpful to each other here?

Is it because most traditional wet shaves are just that way?

I understand that the modified do a great job of directing the flow of information and entertainment on B&B but surely there is something more too it.
i am fairly new here mainly just read and find answers to any questions i have what i have noticed from day one. there just isnt any a holes here i belong to a few other non shaving forums the way people answer here is lots different nobody makes a newbie feel like an idiot when answering any questions they might have

Like many, I found B&B through my searches for info on wet shaving--which razor made the most sense for me to buy? Somehow, the information here was more freely given, more humbly given, and more useful to me than was the case on other sites. I belong and have belonged to other (non-shaving sites) with very different types of moderators. One of the sites (chessgames.com) had a moderator who was a big free speech advocate. I thought I was too until I saw how much vitriol and hate (politics, bigotry of all sorts, personal vendettas, etc.) was allowed. The site is struggling and has almost no discussion of chess left on it. I no longer participate there.

The other site on which I am still active is called bridgewinners.com (oriented towards the card game, mostly for serious players). It is moderated with a heavy hand: no comments are allowed that aren't at least tangentially related to bridge. No politics, no sports, no nothing unrelated to bridge. At first, I thought this was a little too much, but I have come to appreciate the narrow focus and its effect on the civility of the site. It is far from perfect, in part because lots of people do know each other in real life (from going to tournaments). Some of their real life disputes do spill over to the site from time to time, but the moderators rely on the members to "flag" objectionable or inappropriate comments. Enough flags and those comments are gone. Even one flag can be enough once the moderator looks at the comment.

What makes B&B special? To me, there is a nice mix of good, welcoming people, good moderation, and openness to the broader interests of the members (from photography to cigars to you-name-it). The good and welcoming people set a great example for the rest of us. I now "welcome" people because I was "welcomed" (thanks to @FarmerTan for being the first). I occasionally am "respectfully not in" to PIFs--where did I learn that other than by example? After lurking for a year, I became a member because of a post from @DEPenguin that showed me a lot about the people here. I am glad to be a small part of this group.

Thanks

Last edited:
Like many, I found B&B through my searches for info on wet shaving--which razor made the most sense for me to buy? Somehow, the information here was more freely given, more humbly given, and more useful to me than was the case on other sites. I belong and have belonged to other (non-shaving sites) with very different types of moderators. One of the sites (chessgames.com) had a moderator who was a big free speech advocate. I thought I was too until I saw how much vitriol and hate (politics, bigotry of all sorts, personal vendettas, etc.) was allowed. The site is struggling and has almost no discussion of chess left on it. I no longer participate there.

The other site on which I am still active is called bridgewinners.com (oriented towards the card game, mostly for serious players). It is moderated with a heavy hand: no comments are allowed that aren't at least tangentially related to bridge. No politics, no sports, no nothing unrelated to bridge. At first, I thought this was a little too much, but I have come to appreciate the narrow focus and its effect on the civility of the site. It is far from perfect, in part because lots of people do know each other in real life (from going to tournaments). Some of their real life disputes do spill over to the site from time to time, but the moderators rely on the members to "flag" objectionable or inappropriate comments. Enough flags and those comments are gone. Even one flag can be enough once the moderator looks at the comment.

What makes B&B special? To me, there is a nice mix of good, welcoming people, good moderation, and openness to the broader interests of the members (from photography to cigars to you-name-it). The good and welcoming people set a great example for the rest of us. I now "welcome" people because I was "welcomed" (thanks to @FarmerTan for being the first). I occasionally am "respectfully not in" to PIFs--where did I learn that other than by example? After lurking for a year, I became a member because of a post from @DEPenguin that showed me a lot about the people here. I am glad to be a small part of this group.

Thanks
Wow . . . thanks, @Hms123! I may have just earned my wings :angel:

I think part of what plays into the positive attitude is that new people are not flamed for asking questions that have been asked and answered hundreds of times before.
Rather than getting a curt "Use the search function noob" as is the case with many online forums, people are genuinely happy to answer the same question over and over again.
This display of patience and kindness is catchy. It inspires others to be better.

Over the years I have received a number of PMs and emails from new members asking me questions. Some of the questions are basic. I answer the questions and often will ask the member why he did not post his question in the appropriate subforum. Invariably, the answer I get back is based on their experience in other forms they were concerned about what older members might say about him or his question. When I assure him of the prevalent conduct on B&B, they will give it a try. A number of times I have posed the question for him and have told him to see the response. When they see a courteous response they will participate.

I have to admit, after years of that attitude in the forums I used to frequent, sometimes when I see a post my first response is “the search function is your friend” or some such, but I stop and think “why ruin someone else’s (and potentially others who read it) experience or day with my bad attitude. Nobody was born running so to speak. Thanks for reminding me what’s great about this place.
Over the years I have received a number of PMs and emails from new members asking me questions. Some of the questions are basic. I answer the questions and often will ask the member why he did not post his question in the appropriate subforum. Invariably, the answer I get back is based on their experience in other forms they were concerned about what older members might say about him or his question. When I assure him of the prevalent conduct on B&B, they will give it a try. A number of times I have posed the question for him and have told him to see the response. When they see a courteous response they will participate.

Grinn usually I do note that there is a search but I also try to recall from memory what I have read or my own experience….
and out of own experience search function is not easy sometimes difficult to find my own rants. It took me years to notice there was a proper review section 🤪 thank you for your patience!

ps: now I wished my brain stored more direct usable work related info instead of part of b&b threads though the later makes less money it does make some relaxing fun. 😊

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
To wit, we coronated you a king! All Hail, King @FarmerTan, Sovereign of Arkoland!

Additionally, any man who can call his missus "War Department" and live to tell the tale earns a certain amount of respect.

Edit: I just noticed this . . .
View attachment 1303769

"Dave himself". Awesome.
We both have weapons, and "dirt" on each other. The KEY to a happy, long-term relationship.

Top Bottom