What's new

Why I waited 2 years to DE shave

As my 100th post I'll share how I got here

2 years ago I inherited a 1962 Gillette Slim. Coming from a cartridge razor this was a serious tool capable of injury. Respect must be given.

I examined the adjusting barrel (1-9) which sets the aggressiveness. I didn't know if 1 was aggressive or 9 was aggressive so I popped a blade in.

Twisting back and forth I notice the blade was closer to the bar on 1 and further back on 9. I interpreted this a 9=safer. I did not notice the gigantic gap the was created between bar and blade. I had no idea about angles.

So I squeezed a little CO Bigalo Green in my palm and wiped it on my face. Let the shaving begin....

I applied a generous amount of pressure, never re-lathered, and set the razor from phase to kill.

I had the worst razor burn on my whole face. My neck almost bled out.

I tossed the razor in the drawer and forgot about it. Worst shave of my life.

2 years late I received a Merkur Progress, brush, and bowl. Beat shave of my life.

The first time doesn't always go well. Don't give up. It works if you work it.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B!!

LOL, wow that's a rough story, but we're glad you decided to give it another go on less than kill mode.

Thanks for sharing. I hope it encourages others to not give up. Glad you shared this with us and I hope you continue to become an active member of B&B.

WARHAWK

Love the story! Especially the line;
"Twisting back and forth I notice the blade was closer to the bar on 1 and further back on 9. I interpreted this a 9=safer. I did not notice the gigantic gap the was created between bar and blade. I had no idea about angles" :lol:

We've all been there before! Thanks for sharing!

Love the story! Especially the line;
"Twisting back and forth I notice the blade was closer to the bar on 1 and further back on 9. I interpreted this a 9=safer. I did not notice the gigantic gap the was created between bar and blade. I had no idea about angles" :lol:

We've all been there before! Thanks for sharing!

Proof that even focused effort doesn't guarantee success.

Top Bottom