What's new

Why I think Edgewell/Schick/Personna could give Gillette a run for their money

Actually, I have recently noticed that they are already doing some of the things I was thinking about. Schick is selling the Personna Caliber 5 Motionsphere as the Xtreme 5 Pivot Ball, and the Personna Matrix3 as the Schick Xtreme3 Reload Hybrid Disposable (with a cheaper plastic handle as opposed to the regular Matrix3 which has some rubber on it.) And these are on the same shelves in the stores as the store branded Personna versions, which are being sold for less.
Now I never studied business, but I think this is a fairly wise trend that they should continue, but with modifications. It could be argued that the Schick brand is just as recognizable as Gillette. I have never seen a Personna branded item in a store, only online.
As a layman, what I would do is stop this store brand thing, and sell all the Personnas under the Schick brand in stores. Personna has a great variety. Sell them branded as Schick in the stores but keep the store brand prices. Then watch Gillette panic and scramble.
I know people will shoot holes in this idea, but like I said I am a layman, not a business guy. Why sell thru Amazon and call it Solimo when Personna branded products are also sold there?And why try to fool us by saying Solimo carts will only fit Solimo handles. Now I have never bought a Solimo cart but I will bet my bottom dollar that it will fit Personna Caliber handles.
I dont remember when I discovered that the store brands werent made by the stores, but mostly by Personna. I was extremely disappointed about 10 years ago when Rite Aid had their 5 blader on clearance, branded Renewal, which meant it was being discontinued. I asked someone in the store about it and of course they were clueless. Then new boxes of 5 blade Renewals showed up with a different handle and cart. I didnt buy it because I liked the old one so much that I bought an extra handle for travel. Little did I know I had been using a Personna Magnum 5 that could be bought at other stores or online. It is still sold in stores by CVS and Dollar General under their own brands. I still have the handles and have bought carts for it very inexpensively on eBay. It is not the only razor I use but I still think it is excellent.
I think this idea is so obvious. Shoot holes in it if you like. And I am sure there are plenty of legal reasons that maybe they can’t do it or at least not right away.

Interesting suggestion! I would love to see Gillette get more competition on store shelves!
:clap: :clap:

I dont think Gillette is worried about it because Gillette has built such a brand reputation that Schick really can compete with them on brand.

I dont think Gillette is worried about it because Gillette has built such a brand reputation that Schick really can compete with them on brand.
You meant can’t compete, right?
You are from the US like me and my whole life both Schick and Gillette have been household names. That being said, I started with the Gillette Atra and used it exclusively for at least 20 years before trying a Schick Quattro and then back to Gillette with Fusion. The latter 2 I tried simply because I got them free in the mail. Then started using store branded twins again not knowing they were Personnas. Also used Personna Magnum 5 under a store brand when Fusion prices went up. I never once thought I was sacrificing quality by not using Gillette. I was always a one cart a week guy shaving every day, because my father taught me to change blades once a week.
The Edgewell/Personnna/Schick/American Safety Razor goes back to 1875, about 25 years older than Gillette I think. Can they pass Gillette into #1? Who knows? Don’t know how close to them they are in sales but has anyone actually ever tallied it up by including all what is now Edgewell, including store branded ones?

I think the #1 problem is that Edgewell sells the same stuff under too many brands, and most consumers don’t know that. Schick is their most well known brand so just use that. I mean, why the heck did they come up with the Bulldog brand when it is just a Caliber 5 on a wooden handle? Which is just a Solimo cart and a Schick xtreme5 pivotball cart, and a Walgreens 5 blade cart and a Rite Aid Daylogic 5 blade cart and a Walmart Equate 5 blade cart, and on and on and on. Brand recognition is it. And Schick is the one and only brand they should sell under.

Last edited:
Most users don't know about Personna and Personna Private label. However, most consumers are aware of diffusion lines. Edgewell used the Wilkinson Sword brand, which they share with Gillette around the world, as a private label in Wal-Mart. I think a budget diffusion line should be created. Gillette have created the Gillette 3 and 5, but it hasn't diluted the brand as they still sell relatively inexpensive disposables.

I disagree, their share has fallen by 20%.
They introduced cheaper carts and changed their advertising. The are being impacted by Schick as much as hipster beards, Harry's and Dollar Shave.

Most users don't know about Personna and Personna Private label. However, most consumers are aware of diffusion lines. Edgewell used the Wilkinson Sword brand, which they share with Gillette around the world, as a private label in Wal-Mart. I think a budget diffusion line should be created. Gillette have created the Gillette 3 and 5, but it hasn't diluted the brand as they still sell relatively inexpensive disposables.
Yes I forgot to mention Wilkinson Sword is part of Edgewell. I remember about 30+ years ago they were advertising here in the US and their stuff was on the shelves. Walmart no longer carries Wilkinson here in the US.

Yes I forgot to mention Wilkinson Sword is part of Edgewell. I remember about 30+ years ago they were advertising here in the US and their stuff was on the shelves. Walmart no longer carries Wilkinson here in the US.
The Wilkinson Sword trade name is used by Schick in Europe and North America. Gillette have the brand name in Brazil, Australia, India and Japan.

The Wilkinson Sword trade name is used by Schick in Europe and North America. Gillette have the brand name in Brazil, Australia, India and Japan.
Gillette uses the Wilkinson name for their products? I did not know that.
By North America do you mean in Canada? Because I haven’t seen Wilkinson Sword in the US in years. I have a Wilkinson Sword Profile handle that I got for free on a plane flight to London about 25 years ago. I think it was British Airways.

Gillette uses the Wilkinson name for their products? I did not know that.
By North America do you mean in Canada? Because I haven’t seen Wilkinson Sword in the US in years. I have a Wilkinson Sword Profile handle that I got for free on a plane flight to London about 25 years ago. I think it was British Airways.
Schick bought certain Wilkinson Sword markets from Gillette in 1992 after consumer/trade bodies in the EU and UK etc determined Gillette ownership not to be in the public interest. The market share in Canada and the US would have been to small to retain. Schick used Wilkinson Sword as a private label with Walmart, which caused the collapse of ASR who they subsequently purchased.

Schick bought certain Wilkinson Sword markets from Gillette in 1992 after consumer/trade bodies in the EU and UK etc determined Gillette ownership not to be in the public interest. The market share in Canada and the US would have been to small to retain. Schick used Wilkinson Sword as a private label with Walmart, which caused the collapse of ASR who they subsequently purchased.
Confusing, but very interesting.
With apololgies to Artie Johnson.
I wonder how many people here will get the reference.

ASR, Energizer, Personna, Schick, Edgewell, who bought who, when, I can’t keep track though I have read the Wikipedia articles.

Warner Lambert bought Schick in 1970, they then bought certain Wilkinson Sword markets in 92/93. They are sold to Energizer in 03. Energizer buys ASR in 2011. In 2015 Edgewell is spun off from Energizer, or vice versa. ASR took over Pal/Personna in the early 1950's.

Warner Lambert bought Schick in 1970, they then bought certain Wilkinson Sword markets in 92/93. They are sold to Energizer in 03. Energizer buys ASR in 2011. In 2015 Edgewell is spun off from Energizer, or vice versa. ASR took over Pal/Personna in the early 1950's.

The Edgewell history of brands is definitely confusing. However, the Gillette story is not much better. They sell under such brands as Astra, PermaSharp, 7 O'Clock, Polsilver (now discontinued), Nacet, Minora, Rubie, Spuitnik, etc.

The most disruptive event to occur in the shaving market was the introduction of the stainless steel razor blade by Wilkinson Sword. Prior to that development, Gillette had a 90% share of the DE razor blade market. That share dropped to about 70 percent. Today, the shaving market is even more divided with Gillette having about 53% share.

The Edgewell history of brands is definitely confusing. However, the Gillette story is not much better. They sell under such brands as Astra, PermaSharp, 7 O'Clock, Polsilver (now discontinued), Nacet, Minora, Rubie, Spuitnik, etc.

The most disruptive event to occur in the shaving market was the introduction of the stainless steel razor blade by Wilkinson Sword. Prior to that development, Gillette had a 90% share of the DE razor blade market. That share dropped to about 70 percent. Today, the shaving market is even more divided with Gillette having about 53% share.
They are international brands as Gillette purchased local companies in Czechoslovakia, Turkey, and Poland. Then entered into partnership in Russia transferring DE production there.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Personna brand is a lot larger than people think, they make blades for off brand razor companys and their own brands like Gem. Edgewell controls Personna brand and Edgewell also was going to buy Harry's razor for approx 1.3 billion US but for some reason behind the scene's the politicians blocked that merger buy out. I wonder why the current administration stopped that.( I think Edgewell would of been the size of Gillette or bigger.) Edgewell makes all kinds of cutting blades from surgery tools to construction cutting edge tools. They are very diversified and Harry's would of made them huge, but that is just a dream for now. Gillette and Edgewell or ASR are still trying to trip one another up for the last 100 years and (Gillette P&G) won the last battle IMO.

Personna brand is a lot larger than people think, they make blades for off brand razor companys and their own brands like Gem. Edgewell controls Personna brand and Edgewell also was going to buy Harry's razor for approx 1.3 billion US but for some reason behind the scene's the politicians blocked that merger buy out. I wonder why the current administration stopped that.( I think Edgewell would of been the size of Gillette or bigger.) Edgewell makes all kinds of cutting blades from surgery tools to construction cutting edge tools. They are very diversified and Harry's would of made them huge, but that is just a dream for now. Gillette and Edgewell or ASR are still trying to trip one another up for the last 100 years and (Gillette P&G) won the last battle IMO.
You hit the nail right on the head about Personna/Edgewell’s size. That is what motivated me to create this thread. Harry’s has exactly one cartridge and a few different handles. I am not sure why Edgewell wanted to buy them anyway. I know Harry’s and Dollar Shave Club made Gillette reduce prices and come out with some less expensive carts, but $2 to $2.50 a cart is still way too much, especially when I recently bought various store branded 3 and 5 bladed Personna carts for between 50 cents to 75 cents and sometimes even lower.
Maybe Edgewell is closer to Gillette in terms of sales if you take into account all the different brands they sell under. And maybe they don’t care about the statistics that are reported. They must make tons of money with all the store brand contracts they have. I consider knowing that the store brands are Personnas to be one of the best kept secrets that really isn’t a secret if you do a little research. So maybe I should just keep it quiet, lol.
And I think Edgewell and Gillette should be worried about Dorco. I recently tried Dorcos under different branding and was blown away by the quality, and the price if you buy on eBay when the Dorco name isn’t advertised in the listing. It just takes a sharp eye to look at the pics.

Edgewell only produces carts under the Personna brand. Personna and Gem blades are produced by AccuTec. AccuTec own the trade names. Private label has a very small percentage of the market.

Edgewell only produces carts under the Personna brand. Personna and Gem blades are produced by AccuTec. AccuTec own the trade names. Private label has a very small percentage of the market.

It is my understanding that AccuTec produces blades for industrial, medical and laboratory use under the Personna and Gem brands. The blades that shavers have dubbed Lab Blues and Med Prep were produced for laboratory and medical use.

The blades the shavers have called Personna Israeli Reds, Israeli Personnas, and Crystals, had nothing to do with Accutec. Those blades were produced by Edgewell. Now that the Personna facility in Israel is closed, these blades are being made in Germany, most likely in the same facility that makes the Wilkinson Sword Classic blades, another Edgewell brand. Edgewell seems to use the Personna and Wilkinon Sword names interchangeably depending upon the region of the world in which the products are being sold.

Top Bottom