What's new

Why I started traditional wetshaving.

I found traditional wetshaving from the article on Artofmanliness.com as did many others. That is also how I found this place. I didn't start doing this to save money, or really even to get a better shave although I do get better shaves now than before. I started this because that article brought back one of the very few memories I have of my grandfather(I called him papa).

My grandfather died when I was very young. Probably about 5 or so. He was in a wheelchair because he had lost toes to diabetes(he told me an alligator bit them off... :biggrin1:). So he couldn't stand up in the bathroom to shave. Instead he had a small shaving mirror that he set on the kitchen table every morning, lathered up with a cheap old vdh brush, and shaved with a DE. I don't know what kind it was, only that it was TTO, so probably a Superspeed.

At the time Mawmaw and Papa babysat me every day while mom worked. When I got over there, I would go and wake Papa up, and he would get his clothes on and come into the kitchen. When he got done shaving he would put me on his lap, lather my face up with his brush, and he gave me a little T shaped piece of plastic that I would scrape the lather off of my face with. Then we would have a glass of root beer together while Mawmaw cooked breakfast.

I still have the shaving mirror, brush, and little piece of plastic. At one time I had the razor, a couple of old blades, and his mug but over several years and moving several times the rest of it got lost. Papa died over 20 years ago. The brush handle I have isn't worth anything, just an at least 20-something year old vdh handle that is cracked, but I am going to restore it eventually and use it just because it was Papa's.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Mike:

That was a great story and I'm sure you have lots of memories invested in that gear. Those will all be keepers and one day passed down to your heirs. Please post photos of your brush after it is restored. Thanks for sharing.

Don

PS I loved the part about alligators bit his toes off. :lol:

I'm really touched by your story, Mike. I like the manly ritual of the shave, followed by the postshave glass of rootbeer :biggrin1:

I never saw what kind of razor either of my grandfathers in Italy would have shaved with as younger men. It's something that I'm curious about to this day.

What a wonderfull memory! My daughter is 4 and MUST be present when I shave, even though she takes off after the second pass. She loves to watch. I am looking for a kid friendly kit for her. Thanks for sharing. I hope to have those memories with my children and grandchildren.

What a fantastic story, thanks for sharing. Root beer with gramps...such a novelty! Now I will be sure to hang onto my gear to share with my kids and their kids. :thumbup1:

I found traditional wetshaving from the article on Artofmanliness.com as did many others. That is also how I found this place. I didn't start doing this to save money, or really even to get a better shave although I do get better shaves now than before. I started this because that article brought back one of the very few memories I have of my grandfather(I called him papa).

My grandfather died when I was very young. Probably about 5 or so. He was in a wheelchair because he had lost toes to diabetes(he told me an alligator bit them off... :biggrin1:). So he couldn't stand up in the bathroom to shave. Instead he had a small shaving mirror that he set on the kitchen table every morning, lathered up with a cheap old vdh brush, and shaved with a DE. I don't know what kind it was, only that it was TTO, so probably a Superspeed.

At the time Mawmaw and Papa babysat me every day while mom worked. When I got over there, I would go and wake Papa up, and he would get his clothes on and come into the kitchen. When he got done shaving he would put me on his lap, lather my face up with his brush, and he gave me a little T shaped piece of plastic that I would scrape the lather off of my face with. Then we would have a glass of root beer together while Mawmaw cooked breakfast.

I still have the shaving mirror, brush, and little piece of plastic. At one time I had the razor, a couple of old blades, and his mug but over several years and moving several times the rest of it got lost. Papa died over 20 years ago. The brush handle I have isn't worth anything, just an at least 20-something year old vdh handle that is cracked, but I am going to restore it eventually and use it just because it was Papa's.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Wonderful story.

Believe me, that "old vdh brush" is priceless, and will be a cherished heirloom in your shave den. What you're doing to honor your grandfather and pass along his memories and good habits is one of the greatest things you can ever do,

I know how you feel. My grandpa and I had a ritual like that too. He gave me his best superspeed without the blade in so i could shave with him. I now have his stuff as he died just last year. Have a cracked vdh brush and the ss. That will always be my favorite razor. Great story man. Great memories

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Grandpa stories are the best! I have on old plastic teddy bear that my grandpa gave me over 40 years ago (he's gone over 30) that make my eyes tear up when I just sit and look at it. I can only imagine what it feels like to have his old shaving gear. Geez, just typing this and thinking on him is almost bringing a tear.

Top Bottom