What's new

Why I Sold All of My "High End" Razors

The Paradigm SE still provided the most smooth and comfortable shave, but the NEW's are VERY close to matching the Paradigm. So close, in fact, that I haven't used another razor since owning them!

The 3-piece RFB arrived to me with a tech cap, unfortunately, but the NEW LC cap does the trick in it's place.

I received the 2-piece RFB today and it looks great. Apparently it's rhodium plated.

I really don't need any other razor...but you know how that goes.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

The RFB is my particular favorite razor. I have a couple of RFB's, plus several other types of NEW's. The RFB's are many times silver plated. Yours may be rhodium plated, but don't be surprised if it's the original silver plating. They are beautiful!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
The Paradigm SE still provided the most smooth and comfortable shave, but the NEW's are VERY close to matching the Paradigm. So close, in fact, that I haven't used another razor since owning them!

The 3-piece RFB arrived to me with a tech cap, unfortunately, but the NEW LC cap does the trick in it's place.

I received the 2-piece RFB today and it looks great. Apparently it's rhodium plated.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Very nice !
I love my RFB s

@DCP Those are some great looking razors. I really have to hunt for an RFB on the bay. I have a NEW LC but it has the pronounced "bump" in the bottom that limits which handles I can put on it. I get very good shaves from it but I find it too light. If I can find an RFB and put a heftier handle on it like my Weber bulldog, it might just be the cure to my RAD. Does anyone find a difference in the way the NEW RFB and the NEW FB shave?

@DCP Those are some great looking razors. I really have to hunt for an RFB on the bay. I have a NEW LC but it has the pronounced "bump" in the bottom that limits which handles I can put on it. I get very good shaves from it but I find it too light. If I can find an RFB and put a heftier handle on it like my Weber bulldog, it might just be the cure to my RAD. Does anyone find a difference in the way the NEW RFB and the NEW FB shave?
The NEW LC and SC shave with very similar feel and effectiveness for me. I might give a slight edge to the LC if I had to choose either of the two.

The RFB is just as smooth and probably more efficient. It's really hard to tell, though, since they shave so similarly.

Very nice razors.

When I was collecting RFBs, I came to the conclusion that
A) the 2 piece 77/88 is the the classiest Gillette ever made and very smooth and
B) the 3 piece 44 shaves better

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Huge mistake. You need to get rid of those old things and look to the new ones. Pass the old ones on to those who are less fortunate.

Very nice razors.

When I was collecting RFBs, I came to the conclusion that
A) the 2 piece 77/88 is the the classiest Gillette ever made and very smooth and
B) the 3 piece 44 shaves better

I hope you're wrong. I really hope the 77/88 shaves just as well as the 44 for me. I'll find out later tonight.

I hope you're wrong. I really hope the 77/88 shaves just as well as the 44 for me. I'll find out later tonight.

My personal findings are the opposite - I find that the 77/88 shaves better than the #44. YMMV as always, haha. And the looks... wow, the 77/88 is among the very most beautiful razors ever made - even if all messed up:

B3C15D7E-62F5-49D5-A693-7399258A1A10.jpeg

I noticed the 2-piece to be noticeably more aggressive with tonight's shave. Still smooth and comfortable, but more aggressive.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I once made a similar claim about not needing any more and was encouraged to look beyond the Gillette brand. As a result I discovered the Conrad designed Barbasol Floating Head, vintage GEM razors, and antique Schick injector type.

While I can appreciate those that settle on vintage Gillettes with their "container signifying the model" histories, there is simply more more to experience.

I once made a similar claim about not needing any more and was encouraged to look beyond the Gillette brand. As a result I discovered the Conrad designed Barbasol Floating Head, vintage GEM razors, and antique Schick injector type.

While I can appreciate those that settle on vintage Gillettes with their "container signifying the model" histories, there is simply more more to experience.
Been there, done that. I've been down many rabbit holes.

R

romsitsa

It's really YMMW. My No 77, No 44, custom built British New and British LC all were the same.

adam

I have an RFB New, a LC New, and a British flat-bottom LC New. There are subtle differences among them. They are all great shavers.

Top Bottom