What's new

Why I smoke a pipe...

So I have been a pipe smoker for maybe four years consistently now. It is a mere drop in the bucket compared to most, and it is a drop in an ocean for the Brown Leaf giants here. Nevertheless I enjoy it, and I strive to expand my experience.

Normally I smoke in my car as I'm running from place to place. I'm a student, husband, and I work full time so I tend to keep a fairly packed schedule. Well, today I had an unexpected day off. I have been doing the usual honey-dos around the house, and decided while doing some reading for class that it would be nice to do so outdoors.

Two things... Normally I smoke in the car. Not the most relaxing or peaceful way to smoke. Also, I live in Oregon, kind of in the sticks. For those that aren't familiar with Oregon, yes it rains a lot, but that crazy amount of rain leads to unbelievable green landscapes in the spring and summer. I have lived in a good number of places in the USA and Oregon is tough to beat in terms of natural beauty.

Back to the pipe business. I sat in a chair in my backyard in the sunshine gazing at so many full, green trees against an incredibly blue sky with zero haze from the city. It was so peaceful and relaxing. Being able to sit, relax, and enjoy a great smoke (GL Pease Virginia Cream in a Savinelli pipe) was darn near heaven on earth.

I'm sure many of you have had a similar experience. This is absolutely why I smoke a pipe. Its a way to slow myself down long enough so that I remember why I work, and how God's creation is so miraculous.

Stefan, you have just epitomized what it means to be a pipe smoker. Your post is the text book example of the phrase "That guy gets it". Now you understand how life was meant to be experienced. Live well and smoke often, brother.

I picked up pipe smoking in 1988, I was a m60 gunner with 2nd ranger batt, and my platoon sergeant, probably the coolest man on the earth, at the time, was a huge pipe smoker. I picked it up from him, and have been a pipe smoker ever since. Nothing like sitting in my back yard, a fine Cavendish filled pipe, enjoying the air, and perhaps some fine bourbon. Yes, life is good

This is where I got to enjoy my smoke today. Virginia Cream in a corn cob, with my feet in the water. Hard to beat.

Attachments

• IMG_1404.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
When it's raining, all you need is a bit of a roof over your head to keep your pipe dry, and smoke away still. I'm one of those who loves being on a porch or such, watching the rain, while sipping away on a good blend of tobacco and coffee.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
When it's raining, all you need is a bit of a roof over your head to keep your pipe dry, and smoke away still. I'm one of those who loves being on a porch or such, watching the rain, while sipping away on a good blend of tobacco and coffee.
I am the same way- which is why the mods gave me this avatar.

Top Bottom