What's new

Why I like hand lathering (and ARCO sticks)

Look. I'm fully aware of the attraction of pomp and circumstance - a Badger shaving brush, Italian bowl. You know the idea and process. I get it, and admit I have all these tools, etc. But then I returned to a couple ARCO sticks and remain with them and here's why:

1. While mounds of foam may look cool, it's a lot of trouble, and frankly never seemed to improve my shave.

2. ARCO and hand lathering massages my face (like a facial), does (for me) a better job of softening the beard, not to mention the massaging of the face feels good and is good for me - improves circulation and a sense of being refreshed (facials and massage intend and achieve that).

3. I am not fanatical - my face is not a baby's bottom, and the ultra closeness of a badger shave doesn't last all that long anyway. What I want is a "pretty good, nice shave" that is easy, traditional in its own way, personal and in which the process (the massage and beard softening) feels and looks very good. It still fees intimate, is effective in both time and result - and allows me to shave more often, more easily and look good for the day.

Let's face it - I had an Italian barber who cut my hair for literally 50 years. I even occasionally experienced the steaming towel, lathering and stropped straight razor shaves he provided, followed by a shoulder rub and powdering. Fantastic. It was a special treat - but - not everyday, and very infrequently. The rest of the time I find my own hand lathering has its own tradition among the hoi polloi, of which I am one.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I hand lathered for years when I was in college. Now that I can afford it I prefer the luxury of a fine brush, especially badger.
And I can't take the Arko stench so I guess we're at opposites, to each his own.
I'm glad you found your special treatment.

Shaving bowl for the anti-hand lather, unhealthy, hyper-fixated, badgered shavers among us, lol...

mug.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Look. I'm fully aware of the attraction of pomp and circumstance - a Badger shaving brush, Italian bowl. You know the idea and process. I get it, and admit I have all these tools, etc. But then I returned to a couple ARCO sticks and remain with them and here's why:

1. While mounds of foam may look cool, it's a lot of trouble, and frankly never seemed to improve my shave.

2. ARCO and hand lathering massages my face (like a facial), does (for me) a better job of softening the beard, not to mention the massaging of the face feels good and is good for me - improves circulation and a sense of being refreshed (facials and massage intend and achieve that).

3. I am not fanatical - my face is not a baby's bottom, and the ultra closeness of a badger shave doesn't last all that long anyway. What I want is a "pretty good, nice shave" that is easy, traditional in its own way, personal and in which the process (the massage and beard softening) feels and looks very good. It still fees intimate, is effective in both time and result - and allows me to shave more often, more easily and look good for the day.

Let's face it - I had an Italian barber who cut my hair for literally 50 years. I even occasionally experienced the steaming towel, lathering and stropped straight razor shaves he provided, followed by a shoulder rub and powdering. Fantastic. It was a special treat - but - not everyday, and very infrequently. The rest of the time I find my own hand lathering has its own tradition among the hoi polloi, of which I am one.
I face lather just to get rid of all the unnecessary paraphernalia. I do use a brush though because it is necessary to get the hydration to my liking. I must admit that I am an avid user of ARKO shave sticks and have been for a few years. I love the scent of ARKO in the morning; it smells like victory - I mean shaving.

A brush can build up a rich, creamy foam which provides a barrier to stop the lather drying out next to your skin. So the skin should stay nicely-lubricated for longer v hand lathering.

My stripped-down camping kit (30g in total) doesn't include a brush. Hand-lathering works fine but I will have to re-apply water during the shave as the soap dries out.

Benefits of Facial Massage​

• Increases circulation
  • Improves elasticity and stimulates collagen production, reducing fine lines and wrinkles1
  • Releases muscle tension in the face
  • Stimulates the lymphatic system2
  • Temporarily lifts skin3
  • Replaces collagen in the facial skin

There’s a host of reasons why taking time to massage your face is worth it for your mental health, not only your skin. Studies have suggested that facial massage has strong effects on stress alleviation, or psychological relaxation.4 For other potential benefits, like collagen production, I needed some help from an expert understanding.

Facial massage is really an ancient art, far preceeding badger brush shaving. In addition to being able to build up a decent lather, massage also softens the beard, lifts it, and in my opinion improves my shave. To me, brush lathering may have the pomp and circumstance, but little else. I find the longer I hand lather, the better my face feels (and looks). The effects of frequent and extended hand lathering/massage has been really quite surprising. The notion that badger brushing is superior is surely debatable - at least in my own personal experience. Time spent equalled results for me beyond the shave itself. Seriously.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I shaved with cartridge razors for 35 years+ with Gillette foam + Gel which I preferred, lather was created by my hands and it worked but I do not think it is better than using a brush from what I recall. Brushes scrub and massages and work just as good + better IMO from my experiences. If it hand lathering works and the person likes using that routine keep using it because it is user satisfaction mostly.

I shaved with cartridge razors for 35 years+ with Gillette foam + Gel which I preferred, lather was created by my hands and it worked but I do not think it is better than using a brush from what I recall. Brushes scrub and massages and work just as good + better IMO from my experiences. If it hand lathering works and the person likes using that routine keep using it because it is user satisfaction mostly.
Hi Ron... perhaps I failed at making my point: I too used the cartridges and foam/gel. The foam is simply applied (no massage), the gel may entail a wee bit of massage, but the arco sticks - which are dry - require a real face massage, which over time I extended as I realized the benefits: a good shave of course, improved by the additional softening and raising of the beard by the massage, and a bonus - improved facial skin and tone. None of these are provided by smearing on unnecessary mountains of lathered foam with a brush.

Don't get me wrong - I have all the paraphernalia and love the pomp - but to me, hand lathering is better, more engaging, more personal and more intimate.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hi Ron... perhaps I failed at making my point: I too used the cartridges and foam/gel. The foam is simply applied (no massage), the gel may entail a wee bit of massage, but the arco sticks - which are dry - require a real face massage, which over time I extended as I realized the benefits: a good shave of course, improved by the additional softening and raising of the beard by the massage, and a bonus - improved facial skin and tone. None of these are provided by smearing on unnecessary mountains of lathered foam with a brush.

Don't get me wrong - I have all the paraphernalia and love the pomp - but to me, hand lathering is better, more engaging, more personal and more intimate.
If you enjoy the soap stick for the massage another enjoyable soap stick is Speick stick, it is slightly better to the skin possibly and the lather has excellent lather qualities IMO. I also have the Arco stick and it works but will slightly dry the beard skin if used daily or very frequently. Speick is more money & there is always a reason for that, usually better ingredients and results. Soaps for thought!
What softens the beard in my experience is it is usually slightly more Alkaline on the PH scale than other soaps manufactured for shaving.
To test my thoughts on Alkaline shave soaps just cut a few slivers off & press into a bowl and generate lather with a brush if you have one, just use the soap foam to wash your hands for a 3-4 times and it will dry your skin and especially in winter months more dramatically from my testing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom