What's new

Why Gillette insist 5 blades matter. Absolute conjecture.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I was an airline and hotel program top tier guy for years and had customized my travel toiletries kit until it was perfect. For me. The BIC Metal, IMNSHO, as others have said, is likely the best disposable razor for those of us who are DE shavers.

The one drawback I found with it is that because it is so light (practically weightless) you must use pressure with it. While it can give you a smooth shave, until you figure out where that pressure sweet spot is, it can give you a rough shave. I used to get more weepers with it than my DE's for maybe a couple dozen travel days.

Once I dialed it in, though, it was fine. I absolutely think it's the best for the reasons you mentioned, but don't give up on them if you don't get a great result with them first few outings with it.

The real question is a 5 blade approach really better, than say a 3 blade approach? I'm not sure it is. At some point the pesky "law of diminishing returns" kicks in. But when? The answer is unclear and dubious.
Best for shaving is one blade. You can always go over an area twice if you think you need to. The only difference in having five blades is that the cost is multiplied by five. I don’t know why anybody would think multiple blades could possibly improve the shave. How? And why would you want to always have five blades dragging across your skin?

I know the man who invented the twin-blade razor - he used to be my neighbour and he had a successful career as a marketing executive at Wilkinson Sword. He freely admits the reason for the twin-blade razor was to increase blade sales. He does not think two blades makes any difference to the shave. I don’t know what he shaves with - I should have asked him.

Best for shaving is one blade. You can always go over an area twice if you think you need to. The only difference in having five blades is that the cost is multiplied by five. I don’t know why anybody would think multiple blades could possibly improve the shave. How? And why would you want to always have five blades dragging across your skin?

I know the man who invented the twin-blade razor - he used to be my neighbour and he had a successful career as a marketing executive at Wilkinson Sword. He freely admits the reason for the twin-blade razor was to increase blade sales. He does not think two blades makes any difference to the shave. I don’t know what he shaves with - I should have asked him.
I mean not really. Do one WTG pass with a mach3 and do 3 WTG passes with a DE and see how your face feels both in terms of stubble and irritation. The idea that a cart with 5 blades is akin to doing 5 passes with a DE in the same direction is false. As @macintoshBR said, I really don't understand how Gilette is always being criticised on here. If you don't like carts, don't use them. At one point, everyone went from SE or DE shaving to carts and thought it was better. They aren't mass hypnotists. Most people prefer carts over every other type of razor.

It’s all advertising(on every single screen) and new inventions and stuff. Cuz of online info and products there’s new interest in DE and SE. I keep telling my young boys(young men?…that was fast!) try new things and you might find something works better for you at that time in your life. I would not have shaved with a blade in my teens and 20’s. Too slow! Everyone is different. But I will say I now enjoy shaving with my DE and a nice soap/aftershave combo at 45 yrs old. I will end my rant on “try new stuff”

If you don't like carts, don't use them. At one point, everyone went from SE or DE shaving to carts and thought it was better. They aren't mass hypnotists. Most people prefer carts over every other type of razor.
True. Convenience sells, always will. Goo, shave, rinse and repeat. I guess the vast majority of shavers don't think twice, cansider shaving a chore and they need a quick way to get it over with and wiling to pay for it. Hence the blooming cart business.

When the similar action like banning the plastic straws hit the other non recyclable plastic usage, the carts will change. They will make it of PLA or hard pressed cardboard saying it's biadegradable or something. People will buy it or just grow a beard, facial hair had a great comeback in the last decade (bringing great many facial hair products with it), being clean shaven lost it's previous social quality anyway.

5 blades provide a better shave? Why is it then they have re-entered the DE shaver business after a near 50 year hiatus?

I haven't used a Gillette cartridge for about 20 years but I used the Sensor starting out as a teen and I tried the Mach 3 when it came out, too. Honestly, it's been a while, but I recall the mach 3 being a pretty close shave (one pass, ATG) but it came with some irritation and ingrowns. But I got irritation with a twin blade cart too. My main complaint at the time was the price. They did last marginally longer than disposables, but not by enough to justify the cost. I could buy a big bag of store brand disposables and just toss them after 2 or 3 shaves.

Thank goodness I got into straight razors. Look at all the money I'm saving. 🙄🤣

When I was watching the 5 blade video. The one thing that came to my mind was, what speed is this cart going? It seems to me that a shaver would need to hit the speed just right to get the results.

Then after the results, it's time for irritation and ingrown hairs.

5 blades provide a better shave? Why is it then they have re-entered the DE shaver business after a near 50 year hiatus?
On the whole 5 blades probably does for the majority of people. They introduced the new Skinguard, as certain individuals have sensitive skin. There is also a market for nostalgia. However, did you know the new Gillette DE razors are marketed for shaving the neck line of beards? Obviously not...

I'm not going to rehash the whole cartridge vs DE vs straight, but I will say a straight is very nice for edging a beard because you can see exactly where the blade is in relation to the beard line. A shavette style would probably be even better with its shorter blade length.

I shaved with cartridge razors happily for 40 years without ingrown hairs or irritation. I started with the Trac 2 then Mach 3 and finally Schick Hydro 3. What brought me back to safety razors was my local Walmart stopped carrying the Hydro 3. I hated every 5 bladed razor that I ever tried and the cost of the replacement cartridges are ridiculous. I felt like I was being forced to buy expensive razor cartridges that I hated so I rebelled and went old school. It was one of the best decisions that I ever made.

I’ll just say back when fusions became THE thing I went sure I’ll give it a shot…well they were worse than my 3 blade Gillette sensitive (not so bad of a blade I could actually use those) constant tugging etc …if you have a really light beard meh maybe ok for you but yeah…but yea now I’m in the de and se scene …there is no reason to ever go back…sad part is there’s a lot of people who still think Gillette’s carts are THE best shave they can get because they havnt found out wet shaving yet

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’d love a tour of the marketing department. 5 blades is better. More sales. 2 blades are better. More sales. 6 blades are better …

I’ll just say back when fusions became THE thing I went sure I’ll give it a shot…well they were worse than my 3 blade Gillette sensitive (not so bad of a blade I could actually use those) constant tugging etc …if you have a really light beard meh maybe ok for you but yeah…but yea now I’m in the de and se scene …there is no reason to ever go back…sad part is there’s a lot of people who still think Gillette’s carts are THE best shave they can get because they havnt found out wet shaving yet
Carts are wet shaving

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A lawsuit filed by Wilkinson Sword years ago against Gillette for "misleading information" on closeness of shave from multiple blade carts proved in Court that Gillette was categorically correct.
However, Gillette still lost the case because the difference was so minuscule as to be completely undetectable by the end user.

Top Bottom