What's new

Why (for me) wilkinson/schick cartridges are better than gillette's.

Disclaimer: i'm an ex engineer so maybe i just like to overcomplicate things.
But after a few research and objective examination i reached this conclusion. The wilkinson (in europe schick is called wilkinson sword) blades are better engineered than gillette's.
I now will try to explain why. After some observation and dissecting two used cartridges (hydro and fusion) i notice that:
- Gillette use a simple pin pivot just behind the razor head, Schick/Wilkinson pivot using a semicircular track which puts the pivot point somewhere about the surface of the skin. This latter mechanism should be better because the head is more free to follow the face’s profiles.
- The individual blades on the Fusions are mounted on springs, so move up way from the cutting zone when subject to any pressure. When you consider that these blades have nearly zero exposure and are buried within a plastic cartridge maybe that this could be counterproductive, it could work towards preventing the blades from actually giving a very close shave.
So then Schick/Wilkinson Sword seem to have technological superiority in two very key areas. All in my humble opinion, of course.

The individual blades on the Fusions are mounted on springs, so move up way from the cutting zone when subject to any pressure. When you consider that these blades have nearly zero exposure and are buried within a plastic cartridge maybe that this could be counterproductive, it could work towards preventing the blades from actually giving a very close shave.

Interesting. Too close shave leads to ingrown hairs, so perhaps these are 'training wheels' for those that start shaving with too much pressure applied.

Interesting. Too close shave leads to ingrown hairs, so perhaps these are 'training wheels' for those that start shaving with too much pressure applied.
just apply less pressure and you're done. There's no reason to apply tto much pressure because this doesn't increase shave efficacy. You just irritate your skin. When the blade touches your skin that's the only amount of pressure you need.

The Hydro product lines are too clunky, and the gel reservoirs annoying. The Fusion/Skinguards are poor value. Due to the above out of the current products I favour the Quattro/GT5, the Sensor3, and the Mach3.

For what it's worth...In Japan the Hydro 5 and Schick in general is the reference brand, Gillette has not been able to compete with them there. So maybe you are onto something. But generally speaking I'd say the Hydro 5 and Fusion are very competitive.

There are sellers from South Korea that sell genuine carts and razors of all the big brands for quarter of the price. Still more expensive than DE blades.

Disclaimer: i'm an ex engineer so maybe i just like to overcomplicate things.
But after a few research and objective examination i reached this conclusion. The wilkinson (in europe schick is called wilkinson sword) blades are better engineered than gillette's.
I now will try to explain why. After some observation and dissecting two used cartridges (hydro and fusion) i notice that:
- Gillette use a simple pin pivot just behind the razor head, Schick/Wilkinson pivot using a semicircular track which puts the pivot point somewhere about the surface of the skin. This latter mechanism should be better because the head is more free to follow the face’s profiles.
- The individual blades on the Fusions are mounted on springs, so move up way from the cutting zone when subject to any pressure. When you consider that these blades have nearly zero exposure and are buried within a plastic cartridge maybe that this could be counterproductive, it could work towards preventing the blades from actually giving a very close shave.
So then Schick/Wilkinson Sword seem to have technological superiority in two very key areas. All in my humble opinion, of course.
makes sense.

I flit between both wilco and Gillette. I can honestly say that I do prefer the Wilko carts when I use them. They seem to suit my face better than the Gillette carts. Don't know why they just do. I do think the hydro cart range could be made a tadge narrower around the lube area but that it for me. Would like to try some of they're shaving goo, but its all Gillette around here by me.

Just took delivery of a a new made i Germany, Wilkinson sword extreme 3 razor and 4 carts. I was looking for something with a narrower head. My current hydro3 is on a bout 14 shaves and just starting to run out of lube.

Fusion blades are so expensive that I not bothered to buy them. I like the Mach 3 Turbo for the value and cost vs the Fusion and it cuts well. Thr Hydro I like but the gel reservoir goo I am not a fan of.

While I'm here, anyone know if the Wilko Xtreme 3 carts fit the FX diamond, tech 3 metal handles? Or what handle they do fit. Excellent shaves from the newly purchased Xtreme 3 razor but could do with a little more weight in the handle.

Fusion blades are so expensive that I not bothered to buy them. I like the Mach 3 Turbo for the value and cost vs the Fusion and it cuts well. Thr Hydro I like but the gel reservoir goo I am not a fan of.
Same here. I like everything about the Schick Hydro except the gel. Im not a fan of the strings of gel sticking to my face when Im shaving.
Id still buy the Schick over the Gillette though because at least the blades are made in the USA. Other than certain models of the Fusion, I believe all of Gillettes carts now are made in China (including the blades).

Just took delivery of a a new made i Germany, Wilkinson sword extreme 3 razor and 4 carts. I was looking for something with a narrower head. My current hydro3 is on a bout 14 shaves and just starting to run out of lube.
I think you will be happy with the WS extreme 3 very ccs bbs with a little work. When I use carts it’s extreme 3 or quattro.

Top Bottom