What's new

Why Ferragamo? Why?

Years ago... I had several pairs of italian loafers including Ferragamo and Bruno Magli's. Expensive but goodyear welted and extremely well built with quality leather. I stopped buying them once they went to molded rubber soles and still charged a premium. We may think of these brands as hoity toity fancy schmancy but to Italy and Europe, these are their heritage brands like Allen Edmonds, Alden, Red Wing, Filson...

Sad... really.

I mainly stick with Northhampton English-made shoes. Not as sleek and stylish as their Italian counterparts but built like tanks...mostly Grenson and Trickers (John Lobb, Edward Green and Crockett& Jones are still out of my price range).

I’m strictly Alden.
7D5D6BE2-13F9-42F6-93B0-92DD5423D302.jpeg

I saw that video a few days ago. It's a real shame when "luxury" items use low quality material. I saw a video on a $1800 Louis Vuitton bag made from some sort of PVC coated vinyl material.

For very high quality (and sadly very high price too) you may consider Santoni or Ugolini. For great quality and great value for the money Velasca or Il Gergo.

P.S. @Doc4 thanks for the assist! :thumbup1:

Out of curiosity, I looked up Velasca. They have a really nice pair of shoes I might be interested in. My question relates to the difference between the full-grain vs. crust leather versions.

I was surprised to see the price of the full-grain version is lower despite what I have read on the internet (I know, I know) that full-grain leather is the higher quality and thus more costly.

I am in need of further education.

Tim

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Rudy, Velasca "should" open this year in USA, New York city if I remember correctly. I say should because I am not certain if their plans have changed because of the global pandemic.
I really hope they can eventually open there, just a short trip for me then.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Out of curiosity, I looked up Velasca. They have a really nice pair of shoes I might be interested in. My question relates to the difference between the full-grain vs. crust leather versions.

I was surprised to see the price of the full-grain version is lower despite what I have read on the internet (I know, I know) that full-grain leather is the higher quality and thus more costly.

I am in need of further education.

Tim

Tim, the colour on the crust leather is ENTIRELY hand created to give it that "vintage" look and each pair is truly unique. The full-grain leather gets a traditional, less costly tanning process. This explains the price difference.

The latest Velasca I got in November with Black Friday (-20% discount) are these linked here Scarpe Francesine uomo in pelle nera | Fabio Attanasio X Velasca - https://it.velasca.com/products/sgarzillo-n. I'd say VERY beautiful Blake-Rapid stitched Oxford shoes!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
These are great shoes!! I
Fingers crossed indeed.

On a side note, I'd love if Allen Edmonds could open here in Rome...
I am lucky that one of my company's customer is a town over from AE, and I stop there a few times a year and see what they have, great selection of shoes!!

Top Bottom