What's new

Why Feather Artist Club DX costs 3 times as much as Feather Artist Club SS?

Given the only difference is the "blade holder architecture", while materials used are identical, what's the catch?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have the Feather Artist Club DX ACD-RW, it has a 130mm handle, 145mm body, and at 56g is heavier than the SS which is 43/44g or 51g with the wooden handle. I do not believe that the bodies of the DX and SS razors are made from the same material; the DX is made from SUS316 steel while the SS, I believe, is not. Whether the differences justify the extra expense is personal choice but I can say that for me the DX is a fantastic razor which I am using exclusively during August. I have not tried the SS version but I understand it is more forgiving.

I have the Feather Artist Club DX ACD-RW, it has a 130mm handle, 145mm body, and at 56g is heavier than the SS which is 43/44g or 51g with the wooden handle. I do not believe that the bodies of the DX and SS razors are made from the same material; the DX is made from SUS316 steel while the SS, I believe, is not. Whether the differences justify the extra expense is personal choice but I can say that for me the DX is a fantastic razor which I am using exclusively during August. I have not tried the SS version but I understand it is more forgiving.
Tnx, I've seen your August AC post.

I have not shaved with either version of the Feather, but from what I can gather, it seems like the way the DX version holds the blade is more like shaving with a straight razor while shaving with the SS version is more like shaving with a safety razor due to the beveled head. However, I could be mistaken. Since I like shaving with both straight razors and safety razors, I could probably use either. A friend is going to let me borrow his SS, but I would also like to try a DX.

There are lots of different version of stainless steel. The steel used in a stainless razor blade is far different than the steel used in a stainless steel razor. The more chromium in the stainless, the more expensive the metal and the harder it is to machine. We see the same thing in CDN machined stainless safety razors. Some are made using 316 stainless, other are made using less expensive 303 or 304 stainless.

I have not shaved with either version of the Feather, but from what I can gather, it seems like the way the DX version holds the blade is more like shaving with a straight razor while shaving with the SS version is more like shaving with a safety razor due to the beveled head. However, I could be mistaken. Since I like shaving with both straight razors and safety razors, I could probably use either. A friend is going to let me borrow his SS, but I would also like to try a DX.

There are lots of different version of stainless steel. The steel used in a stainless razor blade is far different than the steel used in a stainless steel razor. The more chromium in the stainless, the more expensive the metal and the harder it is to machine. We see the same thing in CDN machined stainless safety razors. Some are made using 316 stainless, other are made using less expensive 303 or 304 stainless.
Neither have I, but I am aware of the technical differences between the DX and SS.

From what I could gather from the Feather's official website, the materials quality grade used in both of these razors is superior, so the price difference is definitely not due to that.

Indeed the older DX resembles SR more, as it requires a shallower angle to shave, while the newer SS has the "lip" which in theory help lift the hair and thus provides a smoother shave.

So it's really confusing, as by all means it should be the exact opposite - the SS should be more expensive, yet it's massively cheaper. My take is that the SS being newer and easier to use sells in wastey larger quantities, so they still make good profits albeit on a lower margins.

Was hopping someone who actually KNOWS why would be able to comment :cool:

Cheers

EclipseRedRing

The Japanese Feather web site includes the following specifications about the DX:
  • The body is made of SUS316 stainless steel which is strong against chemicals and rust.
  • Handle of ACD-R is made from “Super engineering resin” (resistant up to 135℃).
  • Handle of ACD-N is made from elastomer resin (resistant up to 135℃).
And the following specifications about the SS:
  • The body is made of stainless steel which is superior in ductility and corrosion resistance.
  • Handles of ACS-RB/RW/RL are made from “Super engineering resin” (resistant up to 120℃).
  • Handles of ACS-NB/NW/NL are made from silicone resin (resistant up to 135℃).

As you say it may also come down to unit cost of manufacture and sales volumes, as other than the obvious design differences there does not seem to be much else to justify the price difference. I do not categorically 'know' the reason for the price differential but I believe the superior and more expensive steel used in the manufacture of the DX, compared to the SS, is a large part of it. Sorry I have nothing more definite.

From what I understand, the metal that's used in the DX is better than whats used in the SS and its just a heavier contruction.
I would say that the DX is still probably overpriced for what it is though but then again, so is the SS.

From what I understand, the metal that's used in the DX is better than whats used in the SS and its just a heavier contruction.
I would say that the DX is still probably overpriced for what it is though but then again, so is the SS.
I disagree that, at current prices, the SS is overpriced. It can be had for about $70 U.S, more or less, which is a fair deal for a fantastic razor.

The DX is, in my opinion, grossly overpriced. I suspect it is because Feather expects sales numbers of the DX to be considerably lower, and therefore they need a larger margin. It LOOKS a bit nicer and is a bit heavier.

You probably already know that I am a dedicated SS user. If you GAVE me a DX, I would take it and give it a go, but I absolutely LOVE the SS and have a hard time believing that the DX is that much better. If anything, I would prefer the SS. That little tiny lip where the blade is held is one of the best inventions in shaving history. Sure, it makes the SS "less like a straight razor," but that's an argument for purists only. If getting a good shave is your goal, the SS gets you there in spades. (And yes, I have used "real" straight razors; I currently own 7 of them and have well over 250 straight razor shaves under my belt. I prefer the SS.)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The more chromium in the stainless, the more expensive the metal and the harder it is to machine.

I beg to differ.

According to the Nickel Institute:

"Stainless steel has been in use for more than one hundred years. It comprises a wide range of iron-based alloys, but unlike conventional steel they are resistant to corrosion and do not rust when exposed to water alone. The alloying element that makes steel ‘stainless’ is chromium; however it is the addition of nickel that enables stainless steel to become such a versatile alloy.
In addition to their inherent corrosion resistance, nickel-containing stainless steels are easy to form and weld; they remain ductile at very low temperatures and yet can be used for high-temperature applications. In addition, unlike conventional steel and non-nickel-containing stainless steel, they are non-magnetic. This means they can be made into an exceptionally wide range of products, spanning applications in the chemical industry, the health sector and domestic uses. In fact, nickel is so important that nickel-containing grades make up 75% of stainless steel production. The best-known of these are Type 304, which has 8% nickel and Type 316, which has 11%.
Nickel provides these properties by changing the crystal structure of steel to an austenitic (face-centred cubic crystal) structure at almost all temperatures. Conventional steel has a ferritic (body-centred cubic crystal) structure at ambient temperature. It is the addition of sufficient nickel - typically 8-10% - that imparts these unique properties.
Adding nickel gives the austenitic alloys of stainless steel significantly greater high-temperature strength than other alloys, particularly the ability to resist the tendency to move slowly or deform permanently under mechanical stresses, known as creep. These alloys are also much less prone to forming damaging brittle phases when exposed to temperatures in excess of 300oC. Nickel also stabilises the protective oxide film and reduces spalling during thermal cycling. This is why austenitic alloys are preferred for high-temperature applications and where fire resistance is needed."

According to Penn Stainless:

"Alloy 303 is a non-magnetic, austenitic stainless steel that is not hardenable by heat treatment. It is the free machining modification of the basic 18% chromium / 8% nickel stainless steel. Alloy 303 was specially designed to exhibit improved machinability while maintaining good mechanical and corrosion resistant properties Due to the presence of sulfur in the steel composition, Alloy 303 is the most readily machineable austenitic stainless steel; however, the sulfur addition does lower Alloy 303’s corrosion resistance to below that of Alloy 304. Like other austenitic grades, Alloy 303 demonstrates excellent toughness, although the sulfur does reduce this a little as well."

For my money, there is no logical reasoning for the use of 316 SS or 304 SS in razors as those materials were meant for high heat applications.

It is nothing more than hype.

303 SS is the logical choice.

love my feather shavettes!
whether DX or SS, all are super!
as well, the kai's are also great.
and a similar huuuge price jump in tha kai's from plastic handle to the all metal Captain version!
each deliver outstanding shaves!

feather and kai shavettes.jpg

In my speculation, the reason the DX is more expensive is the labor involved in manufacturing. Since the SS uses a sintered process, less human labor should be needed to finish the razor. And Feather Japan may want to keep them on different pricing tiers for marketing purposes. Maybe someday they will produce a DX/RG style using sintering at a reduced cost. Given the pricing on their AS-D2 DE razor, I am surprised at the relatively low price of the SS.

I beg to differ.

According to the Nickel Institute:

"Stainless steel has been in use for more than one hundred years. It comprises a wide range of iron-based alloys, but unlike conventional steel they are resistant to corrosion and do not rust when exposed to water alone. The alloying element that makes steel ‘stainless’ is chromium; however it is the addition of nickel that enables stainless steel to become such a versatile alloy.
In addition to their inherent corrosion resistance, nickel-containing stainless steels are easy to form and weld; they remain ductile at very low temperatures and yet can be used for high-temperature applications. In addition, unlike conventional steel and non-nickel-containing stainless steel, they are non-magnetic. This means they can be made into an exceptionally wide range of products, spanning applications in the chemical industry, the health sector and domestic uses. In fact, nickel is so important that nickel-containing grades make up 75% of stainless steel production. The best-known of these are Type 304, which has 8% nickel and Type 316, which has 11%.
Nickel provides these properties by changing the crystal structure of steel to an austenitic (face-centred cubic crystal) structure at almost all temperatures. Conventional steel has a ferritic (body-centred cubic crystal) structure at ambient temperature. It is the addition of sufficient nickel - typically 8-10% - that imparts these unique properties.
Adding nickel gives the austenitic alloys of stainless steel significantly greater high-temperature strength than other alloys, particularly the ability to resist the tendency to move slowly or deform permanently under mechanical stresses, known as creep. These alloys are also much less prone to forming damaging brittle phases when exposed to temperatures in excess of 300oC. Nickel also stabilises the protective oxide film and reduces spalling during thermal cycling. This is why austenitic alloys are preferred for high-temperature applications and where fire resistance is needed."

According to Penn Stainless:

"Alloy 303 is a non-magnetic, austenitic stainless steel that is not hardenable by heat treatment. It is the free machining modification of the basic 18% chromium / 8% nickel stainless steel. Alloy 303 was specially designed to exhibit improved machinability while maintaining good mechanical and corrosion resistant properties Due to the presence of sulfur in the steel composition, Alloy 303 is the most readily machineable austenitic stainless steel; however, the sulfur addition does lower Alloy 303’s corrosion resistance to below that of Alloy 304. Like other austenitic grades, Alloy 303 demonstrates excellent toughness, although the sulfur does reduce this a little as well."

For my money, there is no logical reasoning for the use of 316 SS or 304 SS in razors as those materials were meant for high heat applications.

It is nothing more than hype.

303 SS is the logical choice.

Great explanation! Thanks! :a29:

In my speculation, the reason the DX is more expensive is the labor involved in manufacturing. Since the SS uses a sintered process, less human labor should be needed to finish the razor. And Feather Japan may want to keep them on different pricing tiers for marketing purposes. Maybe someday they will produce a DX/RG style using sintering at a reduced cost. Given the pricing on their AS-D2 DE razor, I am surprised at the relatively low price of the SS.
I agree with this, and especially the part about the relatively low price for the SS. Five years ago they were $125 or more. Current prices are actually pretty good.

This is my feeling, too. Purely marketing.
While I think marketing is part of it, I do think there are other factors. The SS appears to be made by casting and its manufacture is probably automated to a higher extent than the DX which appears to be forged and ground.

I agree with this, and especially the part about the relatively low price for the SS. Five years ago they were $125 or more. Current prices are actually pretty good.
Agreed. Even now think the DX is closer to 2x more than the SS. I also wonder if the SS is more mass marketed for the professional barber in Japan or other parts of the world? The cost of AC blades for one time use is a bit expensive for most barbers, but if I were a barber I would be more confident in giving my client a shave with the SS.

While I think marketing is part of it, I do think there are other factors. The SS appears to be made by casting and its manufacture is probably automated to a higher extent than the DX which appears to be forged and ground.

Agreed. Even now think the DX is closer to 2x more than the SS. I also wonder if the SS is more mass marketed for the professional barber in Japan or other parts of the world? The cost of AC blades for one time use is a bit expensive for most barbers, but if I were a barber I would be more confident in giving my client a shave with the SS.
They are definitely mass-marketing the SS for barber use. I think barbers absolutely love the SS, because it allows the client to get a straight razor shave but it minimizes the risk of cuts/nicks for the barber because of the lip.

EclipseRedRing

On the Japanese Feather website both the SS and the DX razors are found only in the 'Barber Products' section, they are absent from the 'Consumer Products' section which suggests they are both intended for barber use.

When I got my Feather AC RG about ten or eleven years ago, I bought it for $90.00 and the DX which had just come out sold for about $240.00 to $250.00. The RG is brass the DX is stainless. Know what? My RG looks as good as the day I bought it... so much for the 2.5x price difference of the DX. YMMV.

Top Bottom