What's new

Why FBI and Police Returned to the 9mm

In a home invasion scenario few would have time to do any of that. If the situation shows that you did in fact use a firearm, how did you, becomes the question. Unsafe storage would be the first of many charges. It would cost several thousand dollars to fight all those charges and in the end, most likely, you'd have to surrender your firearms license and all your firearms would be seized.

I see your point. This reminds of an incident where someone did have time to take these steps. A woman in her eighties had someone try to break into her house, and she called the sheriff's department, and informed the perpetrator that she was doing so. The perpetrator continued to try to break in, and she took a .38, loaded it, and informed the perpetrator that she was armed. In this case, it was enough for the perpetrator to flee.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I see your point. This reminds of an incident where someone did have time to take these steps. A woman in her eighties had someone try to break into her house, and she called the sheriff's department, and informed the perpetrator that she was doing so. The perpetrator continued to try to break in, and she took a .38, loaded it, and informed the perpetrator that she was armed. In this case, it was enough for the perpetrator to flee.

Using a handgun in a situation like the above here in Canada puts that person in great peril. Handguns here, as far as I know, need to be double locked. Trigger locked and locked in a case, although that may differ if a safe is involved, not sure. Long guns need to be either single locked, trigger/cable lock or locked inside a case, or, disassembled so as not be readily fired. Eg; Bolt removed from a bolt action rifle, barrel removed from a shotgun. If a gun owner here used a handgun like that while owing other long guns, no matter the type, and yet still took the time to ready a handgun, it's not going to go well for that person.

Home invasions have been on the rise here in the last 3-5 years. They happen so quickly that those inside dont even have time to react. At that point theres not a lot one can do. It doesnt matter what you pick up, as soon as you pick up even a glass to throw at someone, it becomes a weapon. The laws regarding self defense are a bit muddy but basically, you can defend your life or the lives of others with any means available. Handguns and to a lesser extent long guns, are not legally allowed to be stored as "available" in Canada.

Years ago a family member had boyfriend issues. After the officer took a report but before an assault charge was laid, I asked him; "I plan on staying in the house for a few days. What can I legally do if he attempts to break in?" He told me; "Keep him outside and call us. If he does get inside, do not kill him." So there I sat, with a bat. In that scenario I was putting myself in legal peril with a baseball bat because I intended to use it as a weapon unbeknownst to the officer involved. I did understand however, the officers implication that he had to be inside the house. Luckily, he was a no show before he was arrested so I didnt need to find out.

Top Bottom