What's new

Why even bother with soasp? (srs)

I have been asking myself the same question about creams since I practically never use them anymore except to make superlather. I like soaps because them seem to give me a denser lather because if I am not happy with the density I can always go back to the puck and load some more. Soaps are more compact and thus take up less space which is good when you are traveling. When traveling by air, you do not need to put the soap in a particular container, you just dump it in your luggage. The use of the shave stick does not require any bowl or such for lathering, you just apply liberally on the face and then start lathering directly on the face.

I use only creams, they are very easy, and you can get almost at 100% a good lather (any with almost any cream, a cheap 6$ one will do it, and sure that even a 40$+ like the castle f will do it too)

So, should I try soap? why even bother? what are the advantages? if at all?

And if you had to choose a soap for a newbie like me in soap, what will it be? something that make outstanding lather? (I just ordered the Tabac, lets see how that is going on)

Not sure if it is the case where you live but my Shave Soap Van der Hagen is actually on sale in most drug stores or health/beauty departments. You can find the Luxury Shave Soap for under $5.00 most times. They mostly sell the unscented one but there is a scented one. I don't even use a specific bowl, I just use the plastic tub the soap comes in for loading up the brush and then face lather.

You are right. Cremes are easy. Any knucklehead can lather a creme. Soaps are finicky, fickle, frustrating - and rewarding.

That is why I only use soaps.

Cremes are good in a rush, I'm out of soap or I am traveling especially by plane. If anything I may put a little drop or two of Burt's Bees for the smell when hand lathering my final pass for the chamamille smell.

1. Better cushion/protection against nicks
2. Better lather quality
3. Cheaper per use
4. More small, family owned, soap makers (artisans)
5. More variety

Of course, YMMV, and I am sure others could add to this list of advantages of soap over cream.

Yeah, the downside is beside shave stores or VdH, you'd have to buy online. My father would have me, my brother or his wife (our mother) do it because he can't figure it out and can barely figure out his smartphone.

I find creams tend to leave a filmy residue on things. Soaps seem to rinse off better.

I find it to be neutral actually.

Totally up to you! Whatever works is just fine!

Great point. It's personal preference.

Variety... there are some unique soaps out there, both in scent and performance.
There is a great variety in creams as well, and I use both. Some ADs are hardware related. Mine are software, (soaps and creams). About half my shaves are a mix of the two.

Some people only ever experience vanilla. It is not a bad thing. It's vanilla.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don't find that any soaps work better than Castle Forbes cream, but variety is fun. If you're into scent there is probably more choices with soaps.

I don't like having to unscrew and screw the top back on.
I'm a soap stick guy, but I recently tried Maca Root Cream and enjoyed it very much. I would never consider switching to creams though, mainly because of this lid or cap thing. Sticks seem so easy. Pick up and use stick. Set stick back on shelf.

Top Bottom