What's new

Why Don't You Use A Straight Razor?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Mostly because the very long awaited Fatip Open Comb Slant was always a razor I had *on order* so when it arrived I had to try it once.

Haven't used a straight since. Have hardly used anything but the FOCS.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Wow! Is this cheesy little slant razor that good?! Should I go out of my way to get one of these things?

Point taken, but still, why all that hassle?

I was cleaning up a 100-year-old, hollow-ground Kropp this evening. It's got a "singing" blade which rings with a high-pitched tone at the slightest excuse. Only weighs a little over an ounce. It's a delicate scalpel not the head-cleaving broadsword people seem to be afraid of.

It's such a gorgeous little thing. I'm not sure I can really explain why. Maybe tool-making and tool-using is just a fundamental part of who we are as human beings.

I guess everyone has their own favorite toys - I mean tools - they like to play with :)

I don’t trust myself with a straight razor. Lately though I have had an urge to buy a feather DX with some proguard blades to give it a shot.
* stretch the skin (check out some youtube vids)

* shallow angle

* were you listening when I said shallow angle?

* look I really mean it: shallow angle!

* short strokes

* slow strokes: don't hack & slash

* feather light touch

* WTG, single pass until you get a feel for it

My first time with a shavette I managed to shave my cheeks and neck surprisingly easily but didn't dare try the muzzle area. Don't feel you have to do your whole face. Some bits might take a bit of figuring out.

Oh and maybe try a Derby Extra, or some other mild blade. I find them unusable in my DE (too tuggy) but they can work really well in a shavette.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wow! Is this cheesy little slant razor that good?! Should I go out of my way to get one of these things?

Hard to say what works for someone else, but a lot of guys really like it.

There's a thread on the razor - both fans and negative reviews - the very first photo of the razor (as in nobody had ever seen the razor), the very first Fatip Slant photo's on page 6 (of a now 82 page thread).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Because I am nearly blind and would prefer to keep my nose and both of my ears. I wish I would have given it a try when I still had my vision.
I’m not advocating you try it if you feel your vision isn’t up to it. However I have seen videos of blind barbers in India shaving men on street corner barber chairs only by feel. I just wanted to throw that out there because it is possible. I wouldn’t do it on myself and don’t even know if I’d let a blind barber do it to me but I’m sure their sense of touch is extraordinary.

I have an SS (unused) and a straight on the way. I go back and forth as to which to start with :confused1 Lately I've been thinking maybe the SR to learn.
Good on you for having a crack Haggis. It’s not for everyone and there are some valid reasons to avoid SR’s. Many of us consider them to be a lot of fun and a rewarding experience though. For me it was a bucket list item I had tick. I’m glad that I made the effort as I find the SR shaves to be the most comfortable.

I feel that your SS would be a good place to start. The SS will show you what a nice sharp edge feels like to work with. The AC blades are much better than a half DE because they are longer and have rounded edges. With the SS you can learn to shave first and hone later which should make things easier to start with. There’s nothing wrong with either approach though. Try to use both hands as much as possible from the start. It’s tricky at first but you will be miles ahead in the long run. What razor did you get?

Last edited:
Good on you for having a crack Haggis. It’s not for everyone and there are some valid reasons to avoid SR’s. Many of us consider them to be a lot of fun and a rewarding experience though. For me it was a bucket list item I had tick. I’m glad that I made the effort as I find the SR shaves to be the most comfortable.

I feel that your SS would be a good place to start. The SS will show you what a nice sharp edge feels like to work with. The AC blades are much better than a half DE because they are longer and have rounded edges. With the SS you can learn to shave first and hone later which should make things easier. There’s nothing wrong with either approach though. Try to use both hands as much as possible from the start. It’s tricky at first but you will be miles ahead in the long run. What razor did you get?
Agree. Try the SS. Start slowly, by just shaving the flat cheeks for a few times to get the hang of it.

Brilliant choice. You won’t find a better modern production razor than that. They come pretty sharp too. With a good strop and finisher you should be all set.
Ralf Aust SRs are indeed great, but you can find a better modern product - Koraat. It's not by a long shot, though. Both fantastic razors, but Koraat is second to none.

Cost

Initial purchase of both the razor and maintenance items. My employer hasn't been able to provide me with full time hours since before the virus.

I've given my number to all the local antique shops in the event they come across any inexpensive old vintage razors.

The other reason is I heard shavettes are the least forgiving form of wet shaving, so that's what I use. I figured if I can develop the necessary skill with one of those then everything else should be trivial skill wise. Like learned to drive on a stick.

I get terrific shaves with my k capt j and AC SS (very different techniques, though.)

Last edited:
I have been down this rabbit hole multiple times with vintage and new straights. I had hones, films and more strops than I care to recall. Plain and simple I just got tired of the maintaining the straight. For me a vintage injector works just as well without all the fuss.

Top Bottom