What's new

Why Don't You Use A Straight Razor?

I tried it with a couple of different shavettes and came to the conclusion I'm just too much of a klutz. More power to those who can, but it's not for me.

Reactions: J T
I've came close to going down that rabbit hole many times.

one reason would be time for honing, stropping, maintenance, etc.

the numero uno reason would be doubting my ability to acquire the skill of honing to a satisfactory level. I dont have a local mentor that would be able to help learn this skill.

camo

I would like to take this time to thank all at this awesome site who contributed to my learning experience.

I wont name you all.......and it would be a long list.

it amazes me that something as simple as good people..... at a highly useful website.....can share a wealth of info and ideas for the advancement of it's own members.

a true library of Alexandria.

thanks again.

camo

With all due respect, you pose what seems an odd question. For me, the question should be why do you straight shave in the 21st century? When King Gillette and others invented the “safety razor” it was to make shaving quicker, safer and less of a hassle. Why go backwards?
I say this as a traditionalist. I love shaving with vintage razors but I do so with the knowledge that they work as well in their essential function as more modern equipment, and at much less cost than cart shaving. I don’t straight shave for the same reason I drive a car and not a horse and buggy.
I get BBS every time I shave with my DE or SE razors. How much better can it get? Even if a straight would provide an incrementally better shave would it be worth the cost, hassle and injury risk? I don’t think so

With all due respect, you pose what seems an odd question. For me, the question should be why do you straight shave in the 21st century? When King Gillette and others invented the “safety razor” it was to make shaving quicker, safer and less of a hassle. Why go backwards?
I say this as a traditionalist. I love shaving with vintage razors but I do so with the knowledge that they work as well in their essential function as more modern equipment, and at much less cost than cart shaving. I don’t straight shave for the same reason I drive a car and not a horse and buggy.
I get BBS every time I shave with my DE or SE razors. How much better can it get? Even if a straight would provide an incrementally better shave would it be worth the cost, hassle and injury risk? I don’t think so

Obviously, many disagree with your opinion.

Hi,

I have three from my Dad's Dad. I never liked the look of them. Dad never used them, either. So, I use a safety razor as he did and ignore those old straights.

Plus, I certainly do not want to be bothered with stropping much less honing, machine shop out back not withstanding. Meaning, honing would be pretty easy given all I have on hand to do such work. But, I just don't want to be bothered with it.

Shaving is a chore to be done daily. The Fasan DoubleSlant works better than any other safety razor I have used, double or single edge. The SR might work better, but the gain would be so minimal as to make the effort wasted.

Stan

understand where your comming from.

will sum up as simply as possible. SR shaving is not the scary beast it can be made out to be.

there is a level of comfort and closeness that can not be obtained by any other method. being a recent convert, I can attest to this.

so its really not backwards......but relearning and enjoying what our predecessors already knew.....

look at some advertising from older single blade GEM razors.....some of them are geared toward converting SR shavers. my favorite line from a GEM ad ".....about the time you've decided there's nothing in safety....."

20200712_090954.jpg

and yes....I've shaved with an 1907 GEM Bar. own two of them.

20200329_090905.jpg

contrary to even my own prior held beliefs......the old ways are still very much relavant.

camo

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I don’t get it but that’s ok. I shave to shave. I suspect straight shavers are seeking a close shave and something else.
I also use to shave to shave just like you. That was when I was using carts. Now using straight razors, I shave for the enjoyment.

Motorcycles were developed before cars. I drive a car to get from A to B. Riding a motorcycle takes a different certain skill, more effort to maintain and greater danger. I ride a motorcycle for the enjoyment while getting from A to B. I also still enjoy reading books rather than watching movies. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

I feel sorry that you miss some of life's little enjoyments.

Last edited:
I don’t get it but that’s ok. I shave to shave. I suspect straight shavers are seeking a close shave and something else.
I understand what you’re saying and respect your viewpoint.

However, I use a straight razor because I find it fun. Sure it’s more work, but I like the honing process and stropping prior to the shave. I’ve developed a skill that has all but disappeared from the modern world. I find my SR shaves to be very cool and satisfying. Suddenly it’s 1890!

Most mornings I use a DE, SE or an injector because I don’t have the time. Weekends are a different story and the SRs come out for playtime.

For me, it's my nerves. I've always abused my hands and after 12 years as a professional cook and God only knows what else the 25 years before, the nerve endings in my fingers are more theoretical than practical. While it's cool that I can snatch hot steaks off the grill with my bare hands or I can take a pickerel off the hook without gloves with minimal discomfort or if I get cut on my fingers I won't notice until I see blood, the downside is I have no real idea how much pressure I'm using for anything. I'm worried that while using a cutthroat, I'll actually cut my throat.

Funnily, I'm willing to bet I already have all the equipment I need to shave with a straight razor. I have stones from 200 to 8000 grit and honing straps with compounds. I run my pocket knives through them all weekly.

I also use to shave to shave just like you. That was when I was using carts. Now using straight razors, I shave for the enjoyment.

Motorcycles were developed before cars. I drive a car to get from A to B. Riding a motorcycle takes a different certain skill, more effort to maintain and greater danger. I ride a motorcycle for the enjoyment while getting from A to B. I also still enjoy reading books rather than watching movies. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

I feel sorry that you miss some of life's little enjoyments.
I have many enjoyments, big and small. Please don’t feel sorry for me because straight shaving isn’t one of them

I purchased a straight about 3 months ago. I use it like once a week. I’ve had a shavette for a number of years that I use every once in a while. I just can’t seem to get a good shave with either. Specifically under my neck. My hair grows sideways away from center. To shave against the grain is so hard with a straight. I could get dfs but that’s for the birds lol. Why sacrifice the quality of the save for the novelty. Still working on it though

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I just started to do a SR pass on the occasional night shave to work on technique and confidence. It’s a love hate thing for me, I love the idea of a SR shave but the execution doesn’t provide the same enjoyment as a DE shave. It’s more like work. I’m a guy who’s had a full beard for about the last ten years and is enjoying shaving again.......as long as it doesn’t seem like work. Its like work because I’m no good at it, no good at it because I don’t stick with it long enough to get better at it. I don’t keep things for display, so my two SR‘s will rotate in for some more night shaves and we will see what happens. It ain’t over yet.

Interesting replies from both sides. I used to be in the “shaving is simply a chore” camp, but I sincerely enjoy SR shaving now that I’ve tried it. As for the step back in time, well that’s true to a degree. I would view DE shaving, for me at least, as the pinnacle of shaving value and efficiency. It’s inexpensive, comfortable, and very quick if I’m rushed. I do find shaving with a SR relaxing. And despite advances in technology, that doesn’t mean SRs don’t still have some advantages. They may be Based much more on aesthetic and nostalgic appeal, but there are still some pros (and some of them practical).

No one will argue that cap and ball black powder revolvers and flintlock rifles aren’t relics from the past. They are, and technology has come a very long way. Still, the pride that comes fro. harvesting a deer or elk with a traditional flintlock rifle is a thrill that cannot be described. It’s not for everyone, just like SR shaving.

Thank you to all the contributors on this thread, as it shows we're all different and enjoy different aspects of shaving.

I've been DE shaving for about three years and thoroughly enjoy it. The attraction of SR shaving was of interest. I enjoy sharpening my kitchen and other knives and have a variety of methods including Japanese whetstones. But these are not going anywhere bear my face or neck, nor anyone else's.

So put off by the thought of maintenance, I decided to try a Parker shavette, which only cost £20 online. I watched many YouTube videos, read some tutorials here and decided to try it, very, very carefully.

Literally the first time, I put the blade on my face I cut myself, the full length of the blade. It wasn't deep, it wasn't painful, it was a message. "Stick to DE shaving."

I've listened to that message since.

This thread has been helpful, especially those who have tried it longer than I did, and who have reported that in the final analysis, they didn't achieve a smoother or better shave then when using DE. Fair play to those who can manage it after all that practice and who can exercise their skill to achieve great shaves, it's not for me.

My first 8 years of shaving was with a DE, the disposable/cartridge razors. Last year I took up shaving with a straight razor. After a bit of a learning curve, I'm now getting the comfiest, smoothest shaves I have ever had.

If you don't already use a straight razor (that includes shavette type), what's stopping you?
I do, and like you I love it!!

My skin is so finicky, if I managed to slip and slice myself with a straight, it would probably take 6 months to heal. A DE has proven to be safe and effective tool for me, and even having used this type roughly 200 times, I'm still developing and bettering my technique each time I shave. If I ever get to a point where my shaves are perfect and utterly boring, I'll try a straight, but not until then!

I just started SR shaving less than a month ago. I’ve committed to use exclusively SR but today chose to go with DE.... I was hungover and didn’t have it in me.

I get better shaves with DE but just like the act of SR shaving better, I don’t mind the stropping and am looking forward to my first honing session

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I just started SR shaving less than a month ago. I’ve committed to use exclusively SR but today chose to go with DE.... I was hungover and didn’t have it in me.

I get better shaves with DE but just like the act of SR shaving better, I don’t mind the stropping and am looking forward to my first honing session
A wise decision. I never SR shave if affected by the effects of alcohol. Fortunately that rarely happens so that I can shave at least daily.

Top Bottom