What's new

Why Don't You Use A Straight Razor?

As it happens, you are likely a much greater danger to the razor than it is to you, generally speaking. Straight razors are delicate, sensitive creatures, and rarely survive attempts, intentional or otherwise, at cutting anything other than whiskers. Other, perhaps, than certain characteristically hot-blooded Spanish points, the straight razor as a species is very reluctant to cut skin or flesh, and will only thrive with very gentle handling (and they'll never forget nor forgive any chance contacts with the tap or sink-rim, be warned).
In general I would agree, however, certain specific razors in my menagerie seem to have developed a bit of blood lust. Perhaps it's the 3/8 size requiring a specific set of skills I am yet to develop, I'm unsure.

I have to concur that they are delicate and do not appreciate contact with taps, sinks or floors (don't ask).

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
In general I would agree, however, certain specific razors in my menagerie seem to have developed a bit of blood lust.
I have had similar experiences, particularly when I am in a rush, hung over, not concentrating and thinking of other thinks. I blame it on a faulty razor 😊.

HUMOR ON
so I moved from Maui to Arizona !
That would make me stupid maybe that is a good reason I do not use one :) ahhahahaah
OK actually moved for health (VOG issues) and our kids education did not want them writing like I do with no idea about grammar and speaking pidgin
OK HUMOR OFF

I want to and plan to pick up a artist razor most likely the Kai and decide what I think
never say never but no desire to take care of a regular straight I have read enough about stropping and stuff and I can see it being a fun thing maybe one day ? Even the small amount that it takes is just to much for me right now !
at this point in my life (again could change) with a 14 and 18yr old still running our two biz etc... I also used to be really into knives and know a lot about edged and maintaining them and dont want to have anything else so that old side of me is the side I realize it can be its own thing so why I am also open to it in the future :)
I just know me and my OCD/ADHD tendencies and have enough on my plate to go so deep down the straight hole of no return !

So yeah the Artists Club blades seem perfect !
the idea of just putting a blade in going to town and when its dull pop it out put in a new one sounds like what I want for now and while I have read enough they are close enough to get an idea comparing it two DE shaving

I’ve always been intrigued and interested by straight-razor shaving, but two things have kept me from trying.

1. I’m scared. That thing is a murder weapon.
2. I’m not really interested in learning all the maintenance of honing, strops, etc., and I am generally not good at stuff like that. Can you just take it somewhere to be maintained?
Invest in something like the Kai Kasho Woody replaceable blade straight, get a pack of Kai Mild PINK blades or the guarded versions if you prefer, and give it a go. Start by doing your cheeks only for about 5-7 shaves. Use left hand for left side and right hand for right side. Take your time learning and enjoy the process.

You can thank me later. 😁

I have over 30 straights, some very old and some custom. I've been shaving with them for over 50 years as well as DE's and SE's. A year ago I purchased the Tedalus Essence shavette and haven't used my straights very often since. The essence is as close to a straight razor as you will find without the honing, stropping etc.. You can use DE or SE blades. Amazing quality, balance and performance. It's not cheap but there are DE's, SE's and shavettes that are close in price

Because I had a stroke and it'd be impossible to manipulate my affected hand and arm to stretch my face as needed. I can barely lift my arm to collarbone level as it is.

Top Bottom