Votes: 28 27.5%
  • I'm too lazy, plain and simple

Votes: 18 17.6%
  • My beard grows too slow to shave every day

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • Smth. else (do tell in the comments)

Votes: 23 22.5%

• Total voters
I used to have a much thicker beard that grew ferociously and required daily shaving. Unfortunately, a medical condition has led to a much softer, much more slowly growing beard. Couple that with my mandatory round beard (by order of my wife and daughter) along with a three-pass DFS+ shave and there just isn't much to shave every day. For example, I had a terrific shave around 24 hours ago and there is just now barely any stubble pushing through my cheeks.

As my technique developed, I was doing three passes daily; WTG, XTG and ATG. This ended up giving me a too-good BBS result that meant I only had something to shave every 48 hours (10½ passes per week). I then dropped the routine down to two passes daily; WTG and XTG. This gave me a DFS result and allowed me to again shave daily (14 passes per week).

After further experimentation, I found that I could do three passes; WTG and 2 x XTG, and get a DFS+ and still have something to shave in 24 hours. This brought me back to 21 passes per week.

I still do an ATG pass with every shave but that is limited to my upper lip. Some call it a "fool's pass". I do this ensure that the blade's edge is up to scratch.
I had this thought a few days ago, do a less thorough job of shaving so I have to shave more often. I am going to start this the next time I need a shave. I think one WTG and one or two XTG passes should work.

Reactions: GNR

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I shave every day until I start growing my beard for hunting season. Then I just shave my neck which takes away from the enjoyment. I skip a day every now and then.

Reactions: GNR
Working remotely has me shaving every 2 or 3 days. I don’t shave more often because I don’t need to. Shaving isnt a hobby to me, it’s a chore. I scan through shaving stuff here to find better ways of handling that chore, but it’s still a chore.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I can shave every day. But I don’t have to. I like a super efficient shave that can last me at least two days. I have a somewhat slow growing beard. But I think it grows faster the older I get.

I guess because I've pretty much always been an every-other-day shaver, even when I using cartridges. And while I no longer hate shaving, like I did when I using cartridges, I don't enjoy DE shaving so much I want to do it every day. Shaving is a practical matter for me, not a hobby, and doing it every-other-day just sort of works for me.

My growth seems to be on a 36 hour cycle, so every other day for me. If I try to shave every day I risk irritation.

For me it just isn't practical and also depending on the razor I do extra passes my face needs time to recover. Likewise the growing facial hair doest start to bother me until a day and half.i also don't like to needlessly waste soap and products. Now if I have to go out to dates or other things I would do a quick 2pass. It also depends what you mean by hobby. I'm not the type that buys a huge bunch of soaps creams for years. I use all my soaps to the end rotating between 2 or three. I'm also the type that keeps using the same razor until the blade dulls before rotating. so I guess I go for efficiency and practicality and shave 3 x a week as a standard. I enjoy shaving way more than with crappy carts and it's a relaxing and fun experience but I'm not a collector I already have more razors than I wanted to and a list of what I want to get but I am more of the mind to buy what I need and not be wasteful.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Simple answer - I don't need to.

My shave might be 20 hours or 100 hours since the previous one, and I probably average four or five shaves a week. Health issues can get in the way, and shaving daily can cause irritation over a period of time (cumulative). I can do a few consecutive days if I want to, health permitting, but need to give it a little extra time if I get a particularly close shave.

Not having a work routine to fall into, I find it freeing to shave whenever the heck I want to, rather than it simply being a specific time of the day. Some will be morning, and some evening, although with my fre-roaming body clock, it could just as easily be 3am. Sometimes I'll intentionally leave it longer, just to get a better shave (longer stubble hydrates better), and enjoy that more profound change from before and after.

Finally, I enjoy shaving, but not rituals or routines, or other confining parameters. "Scheduling" shaves would turn a pleasurable activity back to a chore again. I enjoy the freedom to choose what, when, and how, on each and every shave.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've had a full beard longer than my wife and I have known each other, which makes it about 30 years. I shave my head, and while I suppose I could shave it every day I don't really grow hair fast enough to justify it.

Three times a week, usually MWF I take my coffee into the Lather Pit and have some "me time." Generally a nice head shave takes anywhere from 30 minutes (with an ATT S2) up to around 90 minutes (with a shavette because I'm still learning that style). Most of my shavette runs are down to about 50 minutes now since I got the Feather SR kamisori.

That's from the moment I put the boar brush in to soak until I clean up the area and turn out the light.

As Groucho Marx remarked with reference to another pleasurable activity, "I like my cigar, too. But I take it out once in a while."

O.H.

For me:
I shave three days a week. My beard grows too slowly to have more than sandpaper after a day and I feel it’s a waste to lather up for such a slight bit of hair. Instead I purchased a more aggressive razor and enjoy skin like a dolphin 🐬 MWF.

Since I started using a safety razor 5yrs ago and going through several different razors and finally coming upon the ones that shave me close enough I have found that the BBS shave I get every shave out only allows me to shave every other day because there simply isn't enough stubble to do 2 passes daily so its 2-2.5 passes every other day. On the days I shave I don't start seeing any stubble for on average of 18-20hrs. Once in a while if I have an event to go to on an off day I will slip a shave in and its no big deal...

Every two or three days, here.

I haven't even tried to shave everyday. I used to hate shaving, but now look forward to the ritual. I guess I don't shave everyday because there's still a part of me that thinks I don't like shaving...

I don’t really need to be close shaven for work - I don’t deal with external clients - and my hair is not dark, so up to two days growth isn’t very visible. I also feel I enjoy the shave more when I have a couple of days growth to shave off. And I like to feel the stubble slowly come back - if it is particularly short and even then it reminds me I had a great shave and I look forward to the next one. I assume it is also better for my skin to not shave daily - but for those of you who shaved daily for decades, what do you think? My skin is rather like a baby’s even though I am in my fifties.

I suspect there is also something in my mind that makes me think if I shaved daily it might become a chore, or routine and dull, rather than a pleasure. Maybe I should use a straight razor to inject some jeopardy into the mix.

I am lazy and short of time too, but they can’t be the main reasons, otherwise I would not shave at all, or only on weekends.

It's a combination of "sensitive skin, I get irritated" and "slow growing facial hair." That plus it's blonde & white, semi-sparse on the cheeks, and what's there isn't super visible until about the 2-day mark.

I tend to shave every day even on holidays
The only exception if I get a nick, cut or sever irritation which might me pause a couple of days

Top Bottom