What's new

Why don't you now mainly shave with a safety razor?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I started shaving with a Gillette Slim before going all "modern" with carts when in the Royal Australian Navy. Stayed with carts (not the navy) for decades after, until switching to SR shaving.

I have a couple of DE razors but rarely use them. My main reasons are:
  • I'm scared to shave with a razor where I can't see the blade's edge on my face.
  • I'm scared that I might cut myself when changing out the blade.
  • Because I can't see the blade, I have trouble getting the blade angle right.
What's your excuse(s)?

Don't want to!
Just being facetious. DEs seem too finicky, too many blade options, types of DEs and on and on. Just give me a nicely honed Straight and I am a happy smooth man.

I started shaving with a Gillette Slim before going all "modern" with carts when in the Royal Australian Navy. Stayed with carts (not the navy) for decades after, until switching to SR shaving.

• I'm scared to shave with a razor where I can't see the blade's edge on my face.
What's your excuse(s)?
I’m puzzled by you saying you can’t see the blade. I have poor vision and other than seeing the blade on my face, I can see the blade.

I don’t use a straight for several reasons.
  • I’m scared of them.
  • I don’t want to spend a boatload of money on one only to discover I don’t like straight razor shaving.
  • I have trouble keeping an edge on a pocket knife. How would I keep an edge on a straight?
  • Added expense of honing. I would have to find someone who could hone it because I suck at it.
  • I would have to justify spending more money on a razor to TLOTH given I already have more razors than I use.
  • I have enough DE Feather blades to last the rest of my life. What would I do with them?
  • I’m perfectly happy with my DE setup.
I’ll stop there, but if I search deep within me, fear is the main reason.

Right now I don’t mainly shave with any type of razor. That is because I am testing 4 soaps and will use a DE, SE & shavette to evaluate the soaps. I have used each of these razors for at least 2 years and the DE & SE for about 10 years, so they are known quantities.

Normally my DE is not my main razor because I enjoy my Feather AC SS.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
De shaving never needs "eyes". Many people can even shave in the dark without killing themselves, while achieving at least the effect of dfs.

I take off my glasses when shaving, and I am a head shaver-- many parts of head are difficult to reflect from the mirror, so there is no need to see the blade with eyes.
The skin is the largest sensory organ on the body, and we only need to believe in the feedback provided by the skin.

"Safety razor" was invented based on the ease of use relative to the throat cut.

I just realized that the subject line of this thread is one letter away from, "I just realized that the subject line of this thread is one letter away from, "Why don't you now manly shave with a safety razor?"

What's your excuse(s)?
Because I "pledged" to use a straight razor in another thread "why don't you use a straight Razor" and of not an SR, I prefer a single edge razor (Gem blade). I am not averse to using a DE as I have a huge collection of modern and vintage, but will use them from time to time, but always regret not using an SR or an SE instead when I use the Alum block post shave and experience that dreaded razor burn

I started shaving using a plastic handled tech, probably English. Then switched to carts when blades were hard to find in shops. Didn't have internet back then. Switched back to DE eventually when I happened to google razor blades and saw you could readily purchase them online for buttons. Used DE for a year or two then found B&B.

Then I got a weird fascination with the straight razor pahes and that piqued my interest. Bid on a few straights on the bay, and won a decent looking razor. I then thought I needed a beater to learn to hone, so I bid on a few more and won those too.

I ended up enjoying using straights more than the de. It has been months since I last used a DE, but might pull one out tomorrow to see if I can remember how to use it. I'll have to dig out my styptic first though...

TL: DR - Prefer straights now.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Used my grandpa’s straight razor last night. I’m not good at using one, not good at honing, and really not good at stropping. Kept the spine side on my skin whenever possible and went with the grain wherever possible.

It wasn’t a close shave, but it was comfortable, the remaining stubble feels about even, and the points don’t feel as jagged as most single-pass WTG passes from my DE and SE razors. Put it to the diamond-pasted balsa before putting it away until next time.

Next time is scheduled in a few hours 🙂

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@thombrogan, it only gets better. Keep on using the full diamond pasted balsa progression (0.5μm, 0.25μm & 0.1μm) after each shave until you start noticing no further improvement in the blade's edge. Then just drop down to 0.1μm hanging balsa after each shave. Your SR should then never need to touch a rock or film again.

It is also important that you shave every day with your SR, lest you forget the subconscious skills that you have learnt.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I only have the 0.5μ and 0.1μ, so I’ll go use both before the next shave.
Without the 0.25μm, you will need to do a lot (like a couple of hundred) laps on the 0.1μm to get the 0.5μm's effect off the bevel. If you have the time, I suggest that you also put together a 0.25μm balsa strop. It will be worth the effort and minor cost.

Lost a significant amount of weight. Neck skin too loose to safety shave with a de right now. Size 50 suit to a size 44 to put things in perspective. Electric shaver until things tighten up.

Reactions: ewk
Top Bottom