What's new

Why don't you now mainly shave with a safety razor?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have several favorite DE’s, SE’s, an injector, several Shavette’s and even a couple of Trac II handles and carts for travel. But I only have a single Straight (Dovo Bismarck).

Don’t have the patience or skill for stones, but I can keep the edge quite sharp and functional with lapping film.

It was a gift from the wife and kids so I will keep it forever and use it occasionally. But I reach for a Shavette more often than not.

Maybe it’s just me, but I get a closer shave from anything that has a manufactured razor blade in it?

Don’t get me wrong, with a bit more time and a lot more skin stretching over the sink, I can get a comfortable and smooth DFS with my 6/8 Dovo.

I just prefer the end results of something with a blade…. More. :)

why do I not shave with a straight :)
give it time I will try it :)

opposite of what you asked is I am into knives and know the maintenance of a blade and not sure I want to do that BUT I can see myself getting into straights but I want to master the safety first and narrow down THEN I can truly compare the straight

so its more a narrowing down process that I am in about 6 months into DE shaving :)
narrow down my soap/creme = working on it and focus for next few months
narrow down my blades = working on it but decided to narrow soaps first
razors well almost so yeah working on it but down to two brands

my question to ANY and ALL straight WHEN :) I try one should I use the shavette things to make it easy at first or just jump into a nice one ?
another question since DE blades vary so much and me being into knives both kitchen and daily blades/steel syle vary greatly

so do certain straights kinda match DE style as sharp or smooth or ? I would think so based on the steel ?
how much do the grind style of straights vary ? My hopes would be once I know what I love in DE it can help me decide a straight or does that just not matter ?

Yes steel alloys, heat treating and tempering, blade width, and grind type introduces tons of variables. A popular starter for when you do decide to wade into straight shaving is about a 5/8 full hollow of reputable manufacture from the early 20th century. Almost any brand from England or Sweden, most brands from Germany (I think there are a few to watch for), and many brands from the northeastern US are all quality razors. A 5/8 full hollow combines control, ease of use, ease of maintenance, and good handling characteristics all in one standard package.

I did not try a shavette first, thus I will not endorse it. It is a relatively cheap way to try SR type shaving without worrying about maintenance, so I also think it’s a viable starting option if you so choose.

I also have been a blade man most of my life. Ive had the ability to hone even cheap pocket knives to an arm hair shaving edge since my early 20s with stones. I prefer Arkansas stones mostly out of familiarity. I started honing straights last year and it was still a learning curve. You don’t have to worry about holding the perfect angle, it’s baked into the blade with the spine/apex (if there isn’t significant hone wear somewhere from overpressure). The progression from course to fine matters a lot more though. And you obviously go finer than you would ever need to with a knife. That introduced a learning curve. Still, the process was familiar. Different, but not foreign or something I didn’t understand. You shouldn’t have any major issues.

Yes steel alloys, heat treating and tempering, blade width, and grind type introduces tons of variables. A popular starter for when you do decide to wade into straight shaving is about a 5/8 full hollow of reputable manufacture from the early 20th century. Almost any brand from England or Sweden, most brands from Germany (I think there are a few to watch for), and many brands from the northeastern US are all quality razors. A 5/8 full hollow combines control, ease of use, ease of maintenance, and good handling characteristics all in one standard package.

I did not try a shavette first, thus I will not endorse it. It is a relatively cheap way to try SR type shaving without worrying about maintenance, so I also think it’s a viable starting option if you so choose.

I also have been a blade man most of my life. Ive had the ability to hone even cheap pocket knives to an arm hair shaving edge since my early 20s with stones. I prefer Arkansas stones mostly out of familiarity. I started honing straights last year and it was still a learning curve. You don’t have to worry about holding the perfect angle, it’s baked into the blade with the spine/apex (if there isn’t significant hone wear somewhere from overpressure). The progression from course to fine matters a lot more though. And you obviously go finer than you would ever need to with a knife. That introduced a learning curve. Still, the process was familiar. Different, but not foreign or something I didn’t understand. You shouldn’t have any major issues.
Thanks so much :)

R

romsitsa

I’ll reverse it, if you don’t mind.
Tried cartridges, all clogged up during shave, declogging was annoying.
Electrics pulled my hair insted of cutting.
SE type blades are bad compared to my go to British Wilkinson, so further experimenting looked senseless.
Straights require way too much time for shaving and looking after them.

Sometimes the reasons for not using a straight are the same

without glasses I rely on touch so a safety razor is for me less tricky

I am a long strokes do not think to much shaver and this works with mild safety razors.

my hands can be stiff in the morning hampering my dexterity.

I am scared ****less from straights

somehow I still want to use a feather type shavette with a fixed handle. Probably my masochistic side….

Top Bottom