What's new

Why don't you now mainly shave with a safety razor?

With a few DEs and most carts, I can make multiple light brushing strokes ATG for the ultimate in smoothness, and that's never going to happen with a straight. The only downside is that I have to carefully rip out the slime strip from carts.

I don’t use DE because I gravitated to straights and haven’t looked back much honestly. I never even got to go through the vintage DE phase really. Oh well.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I shave with both DE razors and and half DE shavettes it all depends on how I feel that day what the weapon of choice is for the shave

why do I not shave with a straight :)
give it time I will try it :)

opposite of what you asked is I am into knives and know the maintenance of a blade and not sure I want to do that BUT I can see myself getting into straights but I want to master the safety first and narrow down THEN I can truly compare the straight

so its more a narrowing down process that I am in about 6 months into DE shaving :)
narrow down my soap/creme = working on it and focus for next few months
narrow down my blades = working on it but decided to narrow soaps first
razors well almost so yeah working on it but down to two brands

my question to ANY and ALL straight WHEN :) I try one should I use the shavette things to make it easy at first or just jump into a nice one ?
another question since DE blades vary so much and me being into knives both kitchen and daily blades/steel syle vary greatly

so do certain straights kinda match DE style as sharp or smooth or ? I would think so based on the steel ?
how much do the grind style of straights vary ? My hopes would be once I know what I love in DE it can help me decide a straight or does that just not matter ?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thicc balsa lapped flat with a thinner than thin layer of sub-micron diamond paste/suspension/spray.

I have a couple of DE razors but rarely use them. My main reasons are:
  • I'm scared to shave with a razor where I can't see the blade's edge on my face.
  • I'm scared that I might cut myself when changing out the blade.
  • Because I can't see the blade, I have trouble getting the blade angle right.
What's your excuse(s)?

I cannot stand to not be able to see what's really going on.

Also, my SR journey sprung from my lust for new sharpening challenges. Touching up a Feather blade on a balsa strop was not going to be enough to scratch that itch.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Hanging balsa?
A 0.1μm diamond pasted balsa strop mounted on a stiff lightweight substrate. You hold this balsa strop at one end between the thumb and one of your fingers of your non-dominant hand, allowing the strop to hang down.

With your dominant hand, you hold your SR and lap the edge vertically up and down on the diamond pasted face of the balsa strop. The purpose of this is to strop with even less pressure than the weight of the blade.

If this is done for about 50 to 60 laps as edge maintenance after each shave with a shave-ready edge, that blade need never touch a stone/film again.

Having recently adopted the hanging balsa, one in 1/16" and one in 1/32", because experiment, I have to endorse it. Also, I need to point out that one of its virtues is that it will get to places on the edge where the bevel is almost, but not quite, what it should be.

Tip: Use paste, not sprays, because sprays make the thin balsa want to warp.

A 0.1μm diamond pasted balsa strop mounted on a stiff lightweight substrate. You hold this balsa strop at one end between the thumb and one of your fingers of your non-dominant hand, allowing the strop to hang down.

With your dominant hand, you hold your SR and lap the edge vertically up and down on the diamond pasted face of the balsa strop. The purpose of this is to strop with even less pressure than the weight of the blade.

If this is done for about 50 to 60 laps as edge maintenance after each shave with a shave-ready edge, that blade need never touch a stone/film again.

Ah makes sense now.

Because I "pledged" to use a straight razor in another thread "why don't you use a straight Razor" and of not an SR, I prefer a single edge razor (Gem blade). I am not averse to using a DE as I have a huge collection of modern and vintage, but will use them from time to time, but always regret not using an SR or an SE instead when I use the Alum block post shave and experience that dreaded razor burn
You mean your DE technique is not good? If you use a DE properly there is no razor burn.

You mean your DE technique is not good? If you use a DE properly there is no razor burn.
Ivr been de shaving since 2008 and don't push for bbs. So bad technique is pretty much ruled out. The quality of shave I have with some.DEs do give razor burn due to variety of geometry or shave angle or blade rigidity issues.

A straught razor has none of this. You can just have a good smooth sharp edge or a bad harsh dull edge and this depends on honing and stropping skills only. I have not yet reached 100 SR shaves and managed to hone only three vintage fleabay razors ever in last three months that i had my first SR shave.I have nicked my beginner strop bad. However with such amateur skills I manage to get a shaving edge which gives a fantastic shave with less strokes than any DE or SE razor. A better shave with less strokes and doing away with variables of geometry, Blade quality etc makes a great winner in my book.

Top Bottom