What's new

Why don’t some lathers cling after the first pass?

Has anyone ever noticed that some shave soaps lather up and cover the face lushly on the first pass but seem thinner and more transparent on the second and third passes. They still seem to offer good slickness and protection, but don’t seem to be able to cling as well once the first passes remove most of the whiskers and it has nothing to cling to. On the other hand, some soaps are able to cling to BBS skin providing a thick volumes lather for all three passes. At first I was thinking it might be too much, or not enough water in the mix, or even the type of brush...but I don’t think so. I’ve been studying this for a while before I brought it up here. Does anyone have any thoughts on this clingy phenomenom?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Time. It changes things.

Sometimes a lather will be on the verge of too watery for the first pass, but by the third a few minutes later, it's thickened up somewhat. Sometimes I have to thin it back down a little on the last pass.

This can be used to your advantage. I made a booboo the other day, and accidentally over hydrated a lather. I just left it in the bowl and walked away, and three hours later it was perfect.

Different soaps will respond differently to different water types. Some will thicken, some will go "flat". Residual oils on your brush from different products might make a difference too.

Has anyone ever noticed that some shave soaps lather up and cover the face lushly on the first pass but seem thinner and more transparent on the second and third passes. They still seem to offer good slickness and protection, but don’t seem to be able to cling as well once the first passes remove most of the whiskers and it has nothing to cling to. On the other hand, some soaps are able to cling to BBS skin providing a thick volumes lather for all three passes. At first I was thinking it might be too much, or not enough water in the mix, or even the type of brush...but I don’t think so. I’ve been studying this for a while before I brought it up here. Does anyone have any thoughts on this clingy phenomenom?
You sir know how to make slick lather. Slickness don’t stick to slikness, that’s why subsequent lathering is thin. Proper wet lather does that...

Don’t change a thing.

Top Bottom