What's new

Why don't people remember a double edge razor?

People don't remember DE's for the same reason they don't remember most former technologies. Think about how few people listen to records vs. CDs considering many people believe that records sound quality is superior. CD's are now taking the backseat to mp3 players. We culturally have short memories.

I went to a second hand store and asked where I might find a DE razor. The lady took me to the electric razors!!!
Vinny

Most people, when the topic of conversation arises, think I'm nuts for using "those old time razors." Most people will say "oh yeah, my grandpa used one of those, but man, they're too easy to cut yourself with."

Sometimes it amazes me how many people make statements on topics about which they have no clue.

(and it also amazes me at the improper english of ending a sentence with a preposition :wink:)

If you are displeased by people making statements on topics about which they have no clue, you must have a very difficult time watching the news on TV (or listening to political talking heads)

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
If you are displeased by people making statements on topics about which they have no clue, you must have a very difficult time watching the news on TV (or listening to political talking heads)

I doubt if Justso will get your comment as his last post was back in 2007, and let's keep on topic.

My father never used a double edge. I remember him using Gem's, then switching to a Shick injecter, which was what I started with back in the very early 1960's. eventually going to the Gillette Techmatic, After that it was a long time with electrics then back to cartridge razors, then back full circle to single edge and adding double edge razors

I am 52. My dad used a DE and I remember watching him shave as a kid. He did use goop in a can. When I started shaving (1976) it was with a TracII or some throw away that I don't remember it worked so good. I for some reason always knew what a DE or a Safety Razor was. It is true that people don't know what you are talking about. When you say "You know the ones that open up and you put a blade inside", Then they seem to know what it is you are talking about. I bought a bowl and brush around 20 something years ago just to play around with. When the soap ran out I went back to the goo. I didn't realize wet shaving was making a comeback until I ran across a thread on the internet about 4 months ago. Now 4 DE's, 2 straights, 6 brushes, 4 mugs/bowls, 15 after shaves,pre-shave oil, 10 types of blades, 2 talcs, a neck duster brush, etc., etc., etc.... I guess I found my roots...lol

I wouldn't expect anyone born after 1970 to know what a double-edge razor is. Many people born before 1970 may have forgotten what it is. Most people don't pay much attention to the shaving implements they're using, much less to implements that most people stopped using 40 years ago. (What can I say? Most people are weird.)

Or at least a zombie smilie to celebrate the greatness of zombie threads.

Wouldn't it be cool if the forum software could flag a zombie thread?

Back when I was first learning to shave, my dad called the disposable Bic a safety razor. I thought that meant it wouldn't cut me.

When I described my current shave tools to my Granddad, he extoled the virtues of electric razors. :001_huh:

It seems that those who do remember DE wetshaving don't usually have fond memories of the experience. If only they'd read the forums and watched shave videos decades ago.

I wouldn't expect anyone born after 1970 to know what a double-edge razor is. Many people born before 1970 may have forgotten what it is. Most people don't pay much attention to the shaving implements they're using, much less to implements that most people stopped using 40 years ago. (What can I say? Most people are weird.)

I believe that what I said above would have been equally true 6 years ago, so I'm sticking with it. :wink:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
When the most popular show on Television is a cartoon or "Honey BooBoo", and 9 out of 10 people don't know who is the Secretary of State or where Myanmar is, can we expect them to remember anything beyond what they had for breakfast?
You have far more faith in people in general than I do.
I now am in the position of considering it a victory when I am able to go to a fast food restaurant that is able to make correct change on a 20 dollar bill.

Top Bottom