What's new

Why Don't I Love the Fatboy

This is just personal experience and by no means is this a slam on people that use and love the Fatboy. I've only been shaving with DE razors for a few months. So maybe my conclusions are premature? Maybe I just love Tech's too much? Or just maybe the FB is not for everyone.

Here's what I like about the FB.
  • It's heavy. I love the weight. You shouldn't press down when using a DE and the FB makes it that much easier to just trust the weight and let the razor glide. It feels so good in my hand and has a really cool balanced feel if that makes sense.
  • It's adjustable. That's a good if you are into that sort of thing. I typically set it to 5 when shaving WTG and a 3 when shaving ATG.
  • It's cool. I know there's push back on liking the FB because it's so popular with "hipsters." As a result the demand on FB's has gone up and so has the price.
Here's what I don't like about the FB.
  • The head is huge. Yep, that big fat head annoys me. It's difficult to shave under the nose with. It also feels less exact when comparing to a tech. It's like driving a SUV vs. a sports car. It just doesn't handle as well. Again, I haven't shave with it everyday for a year so maybe it's a lack of experience.
  • I don't get as close a shave with it. I know you can crank the FB to 9 and get a very aggressive shave, but my face doesn't like that. I get burned pretty easy so I keep things at a 5. I get a better shave using a British or Canadian Tech.
  • A detailed cleaning of the FB is a pain. When I first got it I sterilized it with boiling water. It had a ton of gunk under the base of the head. I'm not sure what the technical name is, but in that space you need a pipe cleaner to get under there. Or you can soak in Jet Dry and loosen all that stuff up and get it out. Anyway, compared to a tech it's just a pain to keep super clean.
  • It's expensive. At least most of the time. I'm sure you can find a reasonably priced one if you hunt, and that's what I did. But to pay $80+ for a FB seems excessive. But the market is the market.
So, there are my conclusions on the Fatboy. I'm not knocking it, or saying it's an awful razor. I'm just saying it's not for me. I'm a tech guy. I don't need a super speed head. Maybe I'll give a slim a try some day, but for now I'm just going to use my tech for a while.

Everything you wrote is valid. I have a FB that I rarely use. I much prefer 3 piece razors with smaller heads, but like everything else in this hobby, ymmv.

To all those who like the look of the FB and want to get one: Get a Slim!

To all those who what an excellent vintage Gillette shaver: Do not bother about adjustable 'cause you don't need to adjust anything! Get a NEW! It is already adjusted!

To all those who like the look of the FB and want to get one: Get a Slim!

Good idea. It’s an improved Fatboy. I’ve had both and the Fatboy was sent away quickly. The Slim is still and will always be a daily driver. My hand wants the longer handle and my face wants the thinner head of the Slim. Same quality better design.

To all those who what an excellent vintage Gillette shaver: Do not bother about adjustable 'cause you don't need to adjust anything! Get a NEW! It is already adjusted!

I have one and it is too mild. Razors that are too mild is why I bought a Slim in the first place. I wasn’t interested in buying and trying a lot of razors just to find the right amount of aggression. I bought one adjustable razor, found my preferred level, and there it stays.

The Super Adjustable shaves just as well but with aluminum parts they don’t hold up as well and people don’t want to work on them. I love shaving with mine but it is in serious danger of becoming a shelf queen because I can’t keep the TTO nice and loose for any length of time.

Seriously, the Slim is in the sweet spot if a reasonably priced vintage adjustable is what you’re looking for.

I have around 200 razors and no Fatboy. I didn't feel it shaved any better than dozens of razors I prefer. I think I bought three Gem SEs for what I sold the Fatboy for (about 4 years ago)..Not missed.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

This is just personal experience and by no means is this a slam on people that use and love the Fatboy. I've only been shaving with DE razors for a few months. So maybe my conclusions are premature? Maybe I just love Tech's too much? Or just maybe the FB is not for everyone.

Here's what I like about the FB.
  • It's heavy. I love the weight. You shouldn't press down when using a DE and the FB makes it that much easier to just trust the weight and let the razor glide. It feels so good in my hand and has a really cool balanced feel if that makes sense.
  • It's adjustable. That's a good if you are into that sort of thing. I typically set it to 5 when shaving WTG and a 3 when shaving ATG.
  • It's cool. I know there's push back on liking the FB because it's so popular with "hipsters." As a result the demand on FB's has gone up and so has the price.
Here's what I don't like about the FB.
  • The head is huge. Yep, that big fat head annoys me. It's difficult to shave under the nose with. It also feels less exact when comparing to a tech. It's like driving a SUV vs. a sports car. It just doesn't handle as well. Again, I haven't shave with it everyday for a year so maybe it's a lack of experience.
  • I don't get as close a shave with it. I know you can crank the FB to 9 and get a very aggressive shave, but my face doesn't like that. I get burned pretty easy so I keep things at a 5. I get a better shave using a British or Canadian Tech.
  • A detailed cleaning of the FB is a pain. When I first got it I sterilized it with boiling water. It had a ton of gunk under the base of the head. I'm not sure what the technical name is, but in that space you need a pipe cleaner to get under there. Or you can soak in Jet Dry and loosen all that stuff up and get it out. Anyway, compared to a tech it's just a pain to keep super clean.
  • It's expensive. At least most of the time. I'm sure you can find a reasonably priced one if you hunt, and that's what I did. But to pay $80+ for a FB seems excessive. But the market is the market.
So, there are my conclusions on the Fatboy. I'm not knocking it, or saying it's an awful razor. I'm just saying it's not for me. I'm a tech guy. I don't need a super speed head. Maybe I'll give a slim a try some day, but for now I'm just going to use my tech for a while.

Agreed with just about all of the above, but there's no need to spend $80+ on one. I got mine for $5 at an antique store. My biggest complaint - and it's the same with the slim - can't do a good job under the nose. I prefer the fatboy to the slim, especially the handle, but overall my NEW SC is better than both.

I love the fat boy, but I understand where you are coming from. The good thing is that there are so many options now to choose from among all the vintage and modern safety razors. If you like the tech, that's the one for you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

It is efficient and it is all that matters!
Remember: Shaving is just hair reduction although many people here want us to believe it is a rocket science! :a44:

Okay, except that the New (I’ve only used an LC) wasn’t efficient for me either. I always needed a fourth pass and that makes a quick trip to irritation city.

The SC may or may not be better, but I’m not sure I see any value in spending the money to find out. Because I have the Slim already.

Okay, except that the New (I’ve only used an LC) wasn’t efficient for me either. I always needed a fourth pass and that makes a quick trip to irritation city.

The SC may or may not be better, but I’m not sure I see any value in spending the money to find out. Because I have the Slim already.
You can keep exploring The NEW family - there is English LC, Goodwill, Deluxe, FB, RFB etc.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a Gillette Slim and a Gillette Fatboy and Like both, First pass with both razors are at setting 5 WTG , 2nd pass setting 6 XTG & 3rd pass setting 7 ATG seems to work for me. Of the two adjustable's I get a nicer shave with the Fatboy for some reason. It feels nice in my hand and very good results. I have a E4 my birth year also. It also reminds me of father shaving with his Gillettes and him coming to breakfast with Kleenex patches on his face :yikes: . Some times revisiting a razor later can be amazing because you have figured your beard grain out and technique is better also IMO.

I have been using a 1960 FB since 1980.It was my first razor and the one my dad handed me down when I started shaving.
I used it daily until 2000.
Than I moved to Berlin and forgot my FB back home so I bought the only DE available there (a Merkur 34c) that I used daily for the next 20 years .
Recently I found my old FB in a cupboard when I returned to my parents home for vacation gave it a good cleaning (in my dishwasher,the ONLY way to make an old razor brand new again no matter how dirty it is) and added it to my " rotation" (I have the 34c,a Fatip Picollo and the FB ).
It is a FANTASTIC razor and I have no problems at all with it (I have it on 9).
It also shaves magnificently close under the nose and for some reason it is the smoothest of all my 3 razors.
Not bad for a razor that's older than me..

I have the Gillette Fatboy, Slim, and Super Adjustable. Fortunately, all were cheap to affordable. I do shave with them albeit not as much. The best performance for me is the Slim and followed by Fatboy. The best looking is the Fatboy! I won't let any of them go. As much as for collection, they're good for shaving too, especially for short travel trips. Really nice to have them in rotation.

I do understand with OP regarding the Fatboy market prize. Can be really excessive especially including shipping.

Top Bottom