What's new

Why does USPS offer "Tracking"?

Click on "Track and Ship"!

This package has been indicated by the shipper to perhaps have been sent seven days ago. We will update with any news if we feel like it, but don't hold your breath. This service does not construe any promise real or implied to ship your package to you.​

Holy cow!!!! :mad2:

Why do I need to know that the shipper had provided the shipping info electronically? I want to know where my &*@^ing packing is!

- Jeff

it should read "delivery confirmation" instead of "tracking"

since it never really tracks it, it just tells you if its been shipped or delivered.

On top of that, your package will usually arrive, and 2 days later it will finally say its been delivered.

I like when you're given a tracking number that's info hasn't been cleared from the last time it was used. There's nothing like wondering for 3-4 days if the high-dollar shipment you ordered is sitting in an elderly woman's kitchen 3 states away.

For the record - it's not actually tracking. It's delivery confirmation and that's about it. It will tell you if USPS has your package or if it's been delivered. That's it. It will never tell you exactly where it is, unlike UPS or Fedex.

For the record - it's not actually tracking. It's delivery confirmation and that's about it. It will tell you if USPS has your package or if it's been delivered. That's it. It will never tell you exactly where it is, unlike UPS or Fedex.

And, it won't tell you who it was delivered to! I've had packages delivered I have never seen!

Randy

No kidding! USPS really does suck. I only use it for small items - don't trust them with anything worth more than about $20.

Actually, Delivery Confirmation means that it has been scanned in at the facility where the mail is sorted for delivery. It does not guarantee delivery. Express Mail is guaranteed, and it's always best to require a signature.

"Registered" Mail is the cheapest, most reliable service offered by the USPS. Mail sent in this way is hand carried, hand-stamped, and signed for every step of the way. If it is not "In Transit", it is placed in a locked room at the Postal Facility until it continues to the next facility or carrier. Again, it is signed for, hand-stamped, etc., until it reaches its final destination and the customer. Your parcel is also placed in an area within the vehicle that is separate from the rest of the mail.

It may take a day or so longer, but it always receives the best treatment, and it has a paper trail... not an electronic trail. Additionally, if you are sending a parcel in this manner, you cannot use plastic tape of any kind. You have to use plain brown paper tape... which is usually not self-adhesive.

Tchau,
chop-chop

I can say things about Canada Post (mostly related to ridiculous shipping charges), but at least if you ship expedited, you get a full trail for your stuff which is accessible online.

I'm only upset because said package contains my new Slant. :tongue_sm

We use USPS for the vast majority of our shipping at work- and we ship internationally quite extensively. If you want true tracking you have to go with a service that offers it and pay for it. UPS or FeDEX offer tracking, USPS only offers tracking for Registered mail. Delivery Confirmation is just that, they can it when it i delivered. They can scan it when they receive it, they can scan it at each terminal, they can scan it whenever they want to but they have no obligation to do so, and are only required to scan it on delivery. That's why it's called Delivery confirmation.

UPS and Fedex suck just as bad in other ways- you have to choose your carrier based on what you expect and what you are willing to live with. USPS doesn;t add extra fees for importing and customs into countries (like Canada) that UPS and Fedex do, and they can add up real fast.

We have very few problems with USPS, and we ship ALOT (all with DC incidentaly)

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
So far I have had good luck with USPS. Every package my business ships is sent through them, International and US bound and I have not lost a single package in 2 years of business. I also use Paypal for 99% of my sales and have not been burned or cleaned out in the same 2 years period.

So there you go, two great myths BUSTED <g>. You really can get good service from Paypal and USPS.

That said though, last saturday my wife and I came home to find a bubble wrap mailer sent via Priority Mail on our porch. It was a gift to my wife from her sister in California. She was not expecting anything and glanced at the postmark.....it was dated Aug. 19th, 2006. Eight months late, BUT, it did get delivered.

Tony

That said though, last saturday my wife and I came home to find a bubble wrap mailer sent via Priority Mail on our porch. It was a gift to my wife from her sister in California. She was not expecting anything and glanced at the postmark.....it was dated Aug. 19th, 2006. Eight months late, BUT, it did get delivered.

That's because it was snail mail. It got dumped on your porch by the snail which carried it from California. :biggrin:

Top Bottom