What's new

Why does the Focus R48 have a bad wrap?

I have noticed though that a couple of Astra SP blades haven't broken quiet evenly when folding and I've ended up with one half slightly wider than the other.
That shouldn't be a problem no? The blade seats in the razor on the cutouts, so that length of the 'wings' left over from snapping the blade in half should not matter. That is my assumption. Haven't validated it.

Got to say, just used mine again with a vintage English Wilko blade. BBS in 2 passes. It does remind me of my Gillette sensor too. Got mine of a guy on the bay. Less than half price with postage, it was only 2 weeks old when he sold it. On asking the seller explained he couldn't get any decent shaves. For me the best blades are so far vintage Wilko or current Treet carbon blades. I have noticed though that a couple of Astra SP blades haven't broken quiet evenly when folding and I've ended up with one half slightly wider than the other.
For what it’s worth, I’ve read Kai blades in this razor make for a real treat. I have only used Feather blades as it’s what I have on hand. However , I did purchase some Kai’s and Bic’s to see how they stack up in smoothness.

That shouldn't be a problem no? The blade seats in the razor on the cutouts, so that length of the 'wings' left over from snapping the blade in half should not matter. That is my assumption. Haven't validated it.

The only issue when you get two unequal parts is the wider one completely covers the slots that allow your soap / cream to pass through. You just get a more aggressive shave as there's more blade exposure.

I tried it quickly with a Kai today vs. the Feather blade I have tried the last few days. Happy to report it was much smoother and a VERY close shave. It could be that I am just learning the intricacies of the razor regarding closeness .I will give it a few tries and see how it goes . I also plan on trying it with a Bic which is also one of my favorite blades .

Great to be back on this site after some years away. I studied some of the YT videos and read many reviews before taking the plunge and ordering the R48 Dynamic. I have to say, after two shaves I'm utterly knocked out and blown away by this razor. There are a few ground rules that have to be adhered to. 1. Load the blade correctly. This is essential, and I suggest you check out 1 or 2 videos to assist. 2. Get the shaving angle right. Again, this is important and pays huge dividends when you get it right. Jarod from The Superior Shave explains this well on YT. 3. Pressure. Yes, you can't avoid this one. The razor is made of aluminium and is super lightweight so some pressure is required. However, I do say some pressure - don't overdo it. You do not need to jab it into your face with a size 16 fist and chop away, light pressure will suffice.
I have tried it twice with a Gillette Platinum and got an incredible BBS with no burn, nicks or weepers on two passes. Its generally a mild razor so I would suggest staying at the sharp end of your blade supply. OK, its early days and I'll report further as time goes on using different blades etc.
A couple of points. You have to break a DE blade - the housing process relies on the tiny turned up ends you get during the break to get a tight fit. Don't use 'saloon' blades or manufactured half-blades. Some concerns have been raised about the durability of the razor. Its too early for me to comment but some reviewers around a year in with regular use report no problems. Finally, the looks. The colours, design and style are beautiful. I chose the green which I suspect might be the least popular choice but overall, I'm delighted.

I have never seen one in real life, but the appearance alone would turn me right off it.
I don't know why, but it looks creepy.
Or like a drawing of a razor by someone who is not really sure what a razor actually does.

I haven't had much success over the years chasing sharpness. My skin always tells me to back off. I have settled on the german Wilkinsons in the R48 as the best compromise of smoothness and sharpness for me.
If you still haven't had luck chasing sharpness, time to discover Kai. I discovered them less than a year ago and WOW what a game-changer. The efficiency of a Feather, holds its edge longer, and doesn't eat my soft-cheese skin. Of course sometimes I opt for a cheaper blade because like Feathers they cost actual money, but cost-is-no-object Kai makes the perfect blade.

Top Bottom