What's new

Why does shave gel come in a can?

I have one also....it is stipulated to use a brush...the shave was really great!

tam
Yes, I got that from the instructions and the picture of the brush on the tube. I am trying to get the amount right to build an adequate lather, but I'm afraid I'm going to go through the whole tube before I get it to where I like it. I've seen some Indian YouTubers demonstrate with lathering shave gels, so there's still hope.

BTW, an Indian Gillette shave gel ad. Unfortunately, I don't speak Hindi. But it does maybe give a clue how this product is used:

The Gillette shave gel does lather, however the lather doesn't completely resemble shave soap lather. It's very slick but tends to dissipate into a film resembling Cremo before I can finish a pass.

All it seems to take is a tiny amount to generate quite a bit of lather. I may try making the lather a little thicker next time, with less water.

The scent reminds me of Green Irish Tweed or Cool Water. Perhaps's that Gillette's Cool Wave scent? I've never used a Gillette foam or gel before.

Last edited:
India's market has a lot of shave gels in tubes that lather with a brush. That's an interesting concept to me and would love to hear more about it.
Indian Gillette shave gel. Good stuff, nice lather with brush. I bought it from India. 25 gram(1 oz) Inr 44/-( 0.61USD).

Attachments

• IMG_20191125_132406.jpg
    IMG_20191125_132406.jpg
    766.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I got some Indian Gillette shave gel in the mail and I tried using it today, but I'm not sure exactly how much to use. The tube says a drop, but I tried that and it didn't seem to lather very well- the lather would disappear quickly. Of course my face was somewhat dry so maybe my skin just absorbed it. I ended up having to finish the shave with Barbasol, and I could tell there was alot of skin protection and glide from the gel, despite the wierd lathering. I think a better preshave that was oilier could have helped, rather than simply face washing.

It looks a bit like the stuff you get in a can, except it's not as puffy, and comes in a 40g tube. The ingredients list is similar, with triethanolamine as the second ingredient. It has a Cool Wave type fragrance.

I may try again later this week. It's definitely easier to lather the gel in a can.
I use it with synthetic brush. Tried with boar brush also, but lather disappeared in 2nd pass.

Indian Gillette shave gel. Good stuff, nice lather with brush. I bought it from India. 25 gram(1 oz) Inr 44/-( 0.61USD).
Yeah the tube I have is way smaller than the one pictured. I love how it smells. It smells like a classic masculine scent. I'm going to run out of it before I get the lather right... Ugh. There are other ones like Pantjali which I hear are excellent too. And I think Biotique makes a gel too? I can't find the post, but I know I've seen people here talking about it.

Yeah the tube I have is way smaller than the one pictured. I love how it smells. It smells like a classic masculine scent. I'm going to run out of it before I get the lather right... Ugh. There are other ones like Pantjali which I hear are excellent too. And I think Biotique makes a gel too? I can't find the post, but I know I've seen people here talking about it.
Didn't use Biotique gel but there shaving cream was excellent. Patanjali products are good but check the expiration date before you buy here in USA.

Didn't use Biotique gel but there shaving cream was excellent. Patanjali products are good but check the expiration date before you buy here in USA.
The old Biotique shaving cream is excellent. I still have mine. It hasn't gone bad even after several years.

The old Biotique shaving cream is excellent. I still have mine. It hasn't gone bad even after several years.
Biotique shaving cream was an amazing product. A pity that it is unobtainium now.

I got some Indian Gillette shave gel in the mail and I tried using it today, but I'm not sure exactly how much to use. The tube says a drop, but I tried that and it didn't seem to lather very well- the lather would disappear quickly. Of course my face was somewhat dry so maybe my skin just absorbed it. I ended up having to finish the shave with Barbasol, and I could tell there was alot of skin protection and glide from the gel, despite the wierd lathering. I think a better preshave that was oilier could have helped, rather than simply face washing.

It looks a bit like the stuff you get in a can, except it's not as puffy, and comes in a 40g tube. The ingredients list is similar, with triethanolamine as the second ingredient. It has a Cool Wave type fragrance.

I may try again later this week. It's definitely easier to lather the gel in a can.

A drop is definitely not enough. I think that's just typical advertising exaggeration.
I use about the same amount as I would use with any shaving cream. It's worked out fine for me.

Biotique shaving cream was an amazing product. A pity that it is unobtainium now.

Yes, a pity indeed. India makes some of my favorite shaving creams.

I believe that the reason are twofold: one is that having it in a can allows them to use a propellant that makes it easier to get the product (as opposed to squeezing it out of a tube) and it makes it easier to box the product up for shipping. Cans stack easier and boxes of cans stack better than boxes of tubes do.

Top Bottom