What's new

Why does my neck hate me, also 12c question

There is a spot on my neck that seemingly no razor can touch. I never really noticed it before, but as I'm getting smoother and smoother in other areas I'm noticing the isolated rough patches more. I used to have a problem with my beard around my adam's apple, but that's not so much an issue anymore. The problem is right under the curve of my jaw, more or less directly below my ear. The grain of the hair flows at an angle, sloping down basically from my ear toward my adam's apple in the space of approximately 1 inch. It's an awkward angle and I've approached it from every direction I can think of but I just can't get that part smooth. I've even tried J-hooking in various directions with no improvement. Anyone experience this? Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I recently picked up an r41 (eats my neck for breakfast) and a merkur 12c. I was hoping that the 12c being open comb would make it a little more aggressive than my 38c, but it seems like it doesn't cut much of anything. Any tips on this particular razor?

Legion

Staff member
As far as getting at that bit under your jaw, have you tried stretching the skin like you were using a straight razor? That is to say, try to pull that part of skin up or down so it is on a flatter area of your face.

Yeah, some. I guess I need to try to REALLY stretch it. Gonna have to see if I can contort my arm into just the right position.

I recently picked up a 12c from BST and have been using it almost every day, except for this weekend when I was out-of-town and used a Gillette travel razor. I can't think of any special tricks or tips for using the 12c, it seems to work well for me with Astra Superior Platinums and is a fairly forgiving razor, but when careless I find that I can still cut myself.

I've been trying two passes (WTG, ATG) lately, but am thinking of going back to three passes as just two doesn't seem to give me as close a shave as I want, though it's a perfectly acceptable weekday work shave. The first pass seems to leave a lot of stubble behind compared to my other razors, but I'm attributing that more to letting the weight of the razor do the work and not bearing down on the razor, this seems to be easier then some of my lighter razors (especially the Lord L6).

I'd recommend you keep at it. I don't see a lot of posts on here, the 12c doesn't seem to get a lot of love on the forums, but I think it's a great razor. Are you using three passes?

So anyone have any tips on how to use the 12c?

I can help you out here. The previous poster is correct, the 12C does not get much press here. I have recently reinstated it as my daily razor after a long hiatus and am getting phenomenal shaves. I can tell you that the 12C definitely requires a slightly different touch and angle than a lot of other razors. I can also tell you that the 12C gives me as close or a closer shave than my 39C (sledgehammer slant). As the previous poster I also use Astra SP blades. Here is how to get the close shave. When you take a stroke with the razor, the angle is correct when all of the lather gets wiped away. This means the blade is fully engaged to your skin, cutting the whisker nice and close. The angle is incorrect when lather is left on your skin after the stroke and there is lines in it that were left by the teeth of the open comb. This means the blade was not engaging the whiskers, only the teeth were. This won't give you a close cut and will give you results like you've been having.

Trust me, you can get an ultra-close cut with the 12C you just have to work on getting the correct angle. Stick it out, it is worth it because the shave is both close and comfortable with that razor. The best way to dial into the correct angle is to start by holding the handle perpendicular to the skin surface and then slowly dropping the angle until the blade engages. Watch the lather for feedback to know when you're getting it correct as described above.

Last edited:
I've been using the 12c all week with a Red Israeli Personna and for me the shave doesn't seem to last all that long. I'm planning on comparing this pairing to using the Merkur with either an Astra SP or a Gillette 7 O'clock blade. The RIP blade does seem pretty smooth, I'll have to try it in a few more razors.

I'm continuing to favor the Merkur 12c in my shave den, using it with Astra SP and currently a Wilkinson Sword blade. I still feel like it's just a morning shave, not getting a shave that lasts much longer than that, but it's a good, functional workday shave and I like the feel of this razor.

I also use it with the blade perpendicular to my face to trim up my mustache. I find that the tines slip through the hair and allow me to keep it trimmed in a Clark Gable style but they also serve to keep me from cutting my lip. Even though the open comb may not be designed as a mustache or beard trimmer, I'd say it does a good job of keeping the edge clean on a daily basis. I don't really want to be bothered with using a separate beard trimmer on a regular basis for this.

you frequently read that you're supposed to stretch and pull your skin taut when you shave. however, i've found that in certain hard-to-reach areas, like the curves right under my chin on the left and right sides, that if i do the OPPOSITE, pushing my chin down against my chest, so that the flesh in my neck bundles up a-la Jabba the Hut, i can reach some of those places more easily. try pushing your shoulder up against your ear, so that the flesh in that area is pushed upward. i've found this to be a GREAT way to get at hard-to-reach places, though it never gives me completely bbs quality in those spots. it's better than nothing, though.

I alternate my 12C and R41. Both give me a great shave. The reason I alternate is that on a daily basis the R41 is a little intense on my face. Although not quite as aggressive as the R41, the 12C gives a great close shave, almost a good as the R41. It's definitely a YMMV thing. Keep with it

I found that blade buffing against the grain as opposed to J-hooking helped me get a couple of those areas on my neck that it just didn't seem like a razor would fit into.

Top Bottom