What's new

Why does my neck feel like this after shaving? I don't know why I keep feeling like this.

I shaved my head. I'm a girl, if that matters. This barber used an electric shaver to clean up the lower left part of my hair, like around the neck area. Basically the area circled in this picture -

pHGT2KT_d.jpg

The shaver pinched my skin and my skin became red immediately afterward. I didn't think anything of it.

But then my neck, like the area where he shaved, basically the area I circled in the picture, just feels weird. I thought it was ingrown hairs. But I don't see anything. It just feels weird. Like how you just feel uncomfortable when you can tell you have an eyelash in your eye, it's something like that. I thought maybe I got a kink in my neck. I'm not sure. But it's been 11 days I feel like this. It's just a very subtle weird feeling. I don't feel any pain or itching.

I even wondered if it could be like a small particle from the electric shaver that got stuck in my neck and it's buried there or something. I don't know! It's just a very subtle weird feeling and I really want it to go away.

Also, whenever my eye would feel uncomfortable, I would go take a look, and there would be an eyelash stuck in my eye! So I think the point I’m trying to make is, this weird feeling around my neck area is not in my head!

What is it? Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
After I get a neck trim (I buzz my head weekly, and about once a month or so I'll have my wife shape up behind my ears/ along my neck) sometimes I'll get an ingrown hair that will cause uncomfortable swell at the spot. But this usually occurs over the course of just a few days, not nearly as long as you are experiencing.

Not to be dramatic, but I don't think it would be a horrible idea to see a doctor to make sure you don't have some sort of infection from the skin pinch you got from the shaver. Obviously, you know how your body reacts to things, and maybe it's not that big of a deal, but don't ignore warning signs. (don't take medical advice from people on the internet.)

Welcome to B&B!

After I get a neck trim (I buzz my head weekly, and about once a month or so I'll have my wife shape up behind my ears/ along my neck) sometimes I'll get an ingrown hair that will cause uncomfortable swell at the spot. But this usually occurs over the course of just a few days, not nearly as long as you are experiencing.

Not to be dramatic, but I don't think it would be a horrible idea to see a doctor to make sure you don't have some sort of infection from the skin pinch you got from the shaver. Obviously, you know how your body reacts to things, and maybe it's not that big of a deal, but don't ignore warning signs. (don't take medical advice from people on the internet.)

Welcome to B&B!

Good advice. It is difficult to see anything from the photo.

And, welcome to B&B.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Try using some Thayers witchhazel the next time to help the healing, it helps the skin or a good aftershave with a little alcohol .
I had a young beautiful (excellent)barber use trimmers but she was hard on my neck and I told her and she corrected the next time. No one told her probably and I helped her learn. I'm older and told the wife that i will cut my own hair because there is not much left on the scalp these years.

I would see the doctor to rule some things out. Not to be alarming but about ten years ago, I had the same thing happen and I got a staph infection. Safe to say I never went to that barber again.

I hope you are able to identify the problem and get it rectified, but at any rate, I want to welcome you to the club. We're glad to have you aboard.

How long ago did this happen?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've been feeling this way for 11 days since I shaved. It's not all the time, but I think kind of sporadic. It's very hard to explain. Like it's a very subtle weird feeling but I keep feeling like something's there but I don't see anything

I would see the doctor to rule some things out. Not to be alarming but about ten years ago, I had the same thing happen and I got a staph infection. Safe to say I never went to that barber again.

I'm sorry to hear that and I'm glad you got it taken care of!

Do you really think that could be it? I mean it's such a mild uncomfortable feeling, like I keep feeling like something's there but I don't see anything :( So that's why I thought maybe it was a kink, because I didn't see anything. Like I said in my post, no pain or itching. :/

It most likely is not a staph infection if there is nothing there. I would still recommend going to see a doctor/nurse practicioner or even a pharmacist to get to the bottom of it. It may be as simple as a kink from sleeping the wrong way.

Thank you!

I think I should have been clearer in my original post. The electric shaver pinched my skin and my skin was red immediately afterward. Redness went away in 2-3 days. Other than that, I really don't see anything in the area where I feel the mild uncomfortable feeling from.

I really hope it's just a kink as well! It's just my sleeping habits hasn't changed, nothing has changed. This mild symptom just popped up after the shave.

Thank you guys for being so helpful!

I really hesitate to see a doctor because it's something so mild, I don't know if they'll just dismiss it. Plus there's nothing to see there (not that I can see anyway) and there's no pain or itching. The area (the area I circled in the picture in the original post) did feel tender the day he shaved it and that went away in a day.

It's driving me nuts because that area around my neck just doesn't feel right, like it feels a little off. I'm really praying it's just a kink, maybe from the electric shaving pinching my skin :(

If it's still feeling a bit off I would still advise seeing your doctor. I doubt he will just dismiss it but if he does you're no worse off than before. And if it does turn out to be something benign like a kink, then at least you will have reassurance. Will pray for you too, good luck

If it's still feeling a bit off I would still advise seeing your doctor. I doubt he will just dismiss it but if he does you're no worse off than before. And if it does turn out to be something benign like a kink, then at least you will have reassurance. Will pray for you too, good luck

Thank you very much

Is it even possible that the electric shaver pinching my skin created microscopic cuts and something small got stuck in there? Idk, it's just uncomfortable, like how when you get an eyelash stuck in your eye :(

Top Bottom