What's new

Why does a shaving brush starts losing hair after a while of use???

Do you just lather it like a regular soap and let the brush soak in a cup?

I get the brush wet first and then rub it over the brush cleaner until it picks up a tiny bit of soap and gets foamy. Then I go to my Timeless lather bowl and fill it up half way with water and then use the brush to make a sudsy dishwater type slurry. I swirl that around for 30 seconds to a minute and then rinse the brush well. Works very well with my water.

I get the brush wet first and then rub it over the brush cleaner until it picks up a tiny bit of soap and gets foamy. Then I go to my Timeless lather bowl and fill it up half way with water and then use the brush to make a sudsy dishwater type slurry. I swirl that around for 30 seconds to a minute and then rinse the brush well. Works very well with my water.
Thanks. I am going to order one to try. For under $20 it’s worth trying. 👍

I have said this for some time now, rinsing is not enough to get the soap scum out of the brush seeing that it is a fat residue.
and the best way is to use a makeup brush cleaning soap, as that will remove the fat scum in the brush as that is the cause of brush losing hair.

As its rotting it off at the glue bump just look at the sink we shave in, do you clean it with just water nope you have to use a cleanser to remove the residue around the sink. So why not the brush knot as its the same stuff..

I use warm water for rinsing the brushes, but we have hard water here, and I have a Chubby 3, so possibility of soap build-up is high.

I don't have access to dawn dishwasher and zingari soap cleaner, for the uninitiated, can somebody please provide me with other ways to clean my brushes ?

Yes, borax is available.
If you can tell me, what should be the ratio of borax and water for safely cleaning the brushes.

Edit : I found some videos, thank you for your suggestion.
Glad you found some information on Borax for your brush. FWIW I use a tablespoon (~15mL) of Borax per cup (~250mL) of warm water and soak for 10 or so minutes. Then palm lather with dishwashing soap, we use Dawn.

If you're not sure about the dishwashing soap seems whatever clean rinsing soap you have would work. The idea is just to clean the Borax, hard water and soap deposits kicked loose from the Borax soak. Then let it dry. Hope it works for you.

Just use warm water with a dash of distilled white vinegar in a cup. You will see all sorts of ratios of water to vinegar people use. Just let the bristles sit in it a few minutes with gentle agitation every now and then. This works great, as you will see all the debris floating in the cup. I have seen no ill effects at all from doing this.

The only brush I had shedding was my first badly treated Wilkinson. Dark brown no idea which animal hair it was.
I regularly left it in the steam room, never cleaned it. Rarely dried it completely. Left it brush up. It is still a mystery why I never got a yeast or mold infection with that. In the end the handle cracked and it started shedding.
I bought a grooming co synthetic and later brush guy synthetics and take more care of my brushes.
Dropping a grooming co to the floor once that dislodged the entire knot but no hairs were shedded but the knot needed a new handle....

So, for those dense knots, how do we clean the root of the bristles?

I've noticed that there are special cleaning soaps for shaving brushes on the market, but I'm not sure they can do a good job.

How often should we clean the shaving brush thoroughly?

So, for those dense knots, how do we clean the root of the bristles?

I've noticed that there are special cleaning soaps for shaving brushes on the market, but I'm not sure they can do a good job.

How often should we clean the shaving brush thoroughly?

When your brush is completely dry run your hand over the bristles, if you see dust come out then it needs cleaning that's how I do mine.

Top Bottom