What's new

Why do YOU use a straight razor?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Guys in this forum might poo-poo this, but I use a replaceable-blade straight razor for every shave. Some might not think of it as a straight razor, but I do. In any case, it's an open-blade razor.

I choose to use an open-blade razor because I feel like I get the best results for me. Counterintuitively, I find open blades provide the gentlest method of shaving. Plus, I really enjoy it.
A shavette IS a straight razor and while I enjoy my traditional straight razors, I use a shavette quite often. It is hard to beat the results and pure ease of the shave. If I could have only one straight razor for the rest of my life, it would have to be the shavette.

Wow, so many reasons. My skin looks ten years younger compared to when I shaved with an electric. Skin feels better. Meditative process. Makes me feel good about myself. No ingrown hairs, no razor burn, razor never clogs. I can squeeze three days out of a two and a half pass shave with a light electric razor touch up on the third day. Costs way less than any disposable or cartridge razor. Probably a few I missed.

I like the Old School method of doing some tasks.Staights just give me a better shave than the modern alternatives.Plus I find a straight shave very relaxing and gives me a little down time .

I use a straight razor because I like a change of pace. I'll use anything to shave except kitchen knife. :)
Seriously, straight, shavette, DE, SE, cartridge, even electric. All good. As long as I can use a nice brush/cream/soap and aftershave.

When I started shaving about 12 years old and my parents were divorced Dad wasn't around to show me the ropes.
I tried everything available at the time and settled on the straight because Mom determined it gave the closest shave yet.

I've since stuck with it.

Chris

I like the entire process. You start with a piece of steel that wouldn't open letters, you grind on it using your preferred method to create an edge, and then you refine that edge to be exactly "your edge". The razor is now a piece of you and you a piece of it. And then ... You get to shave with this thing you created! And we all know how much fun shaving is.

And it just so happens, that that shave may be one of the best shaves ever, since you are using the perfect, no trade-offs tool for the job and have practiced the skills to use it effectively.

I enjoy both the danger and the skill involved in straight razor shaving. Every other form of shaving seems to be fairly automatic, as the learning curve for DE shaving isn't at all steep. However, there is quite a learning curve involved in the straight razor, which provides great satisfaction when a good quality shave is achieved.

There is also the element of danger. Risk plays a huge roll in adventure sports, race car driving, etc. The consequence for carelessness in a straight razor shave "concentrates his mind wonderfully".

I think this is self-explanatory
2017_01_20.jpg

What other reasons do you need?

I enjoy both the danger and the skill involved in straight razor shaving. Every other form of shaving seems to be fairly automatic, as the learning curve for DE shaving isn't at all steep. However, there is quite a learning curve involved in the straight razor, which provides great satisfaction when a good quality shave is achieved.

There is also the element of danger. Risk plays a huge roll in adventure sports, race car driving, etc. The consequence for carelessness in a straight razor shave "concentrates his mind wonderfully".

Yes. It’s a bit like car vs. motorbike. Bikes and straights can both be perfectly safe in skilled hands but they do have the potential punish carelessness severely and immediately. This has the effect of putting you totally in the moment which is both exciting and meditative.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Yes. It’s a bit like car vs. motorbike. Bikes and straights can both be perfectly safe in skilled hands but they do have the potential punish carelessness severely and immediately. This has the effect of putting you totally in the moment which is both exciting and meditative.
Interesting, I also ride motorcycles for relaxation. It's the total concentration that is required for both riding and SR shaving that relaxes me.

I still fall off occasionally and get the odd nick and weeper, normally through a moment of not concentrating.

Since the first straight shave, there have been many reasons why. There still are I suppose. But one mainstay all along is that by using a straight I feel more involved in the process of shaving than I do when I rely on pre-fab, disposable, or presharpened anything. Sure, I don't make the razor but I do restore them, and some restorations are quite extensive. I also hone them, and so on. A good sized fixed permanant blade should last several decades of heavy use, and with each shave, and each hone, and maybe every disassembly, cleaning and refurb - everything about shaving just becomes more personal and engaging.

This forum is why I got into SR shaving. I've been using the same DE, soap, and brush for ten years but a couple of months ago I stumbled into this forum and became addicted. I'm still trying to figure out stropping and strokes (feels like I'm shaving with sand paper), but I really enjoy the science behind the prep, and the art of the strokes.

Firstly for me because it gives the finest closest smoothest shave there is.
Secondly, in this fast paced bulls**t world where men identify as women and vice versa and people can reach me by phone or message or video call 24hours a day, and people can be sent to jail for disagreeing with a certain narrative , my straight shave it a connection back to a simpler better time, where a man quietly and carefully honed the edge of a piece of steel to its sharpest possible state, then lathered up with good quality soap and a nice brush for a dignified morning shave. Self sufficient, for a tiny piece of his life, outside of mass produced stuff and disposable, convenient, low quality rubbish.
Thirdly, it’s a lot of crazy fun.

My main reason for using a straight razor is probably the positive psychological effect it produces.

Shaving with a straight razor comes with a lot of "side effects" that I subconsciously enjoy and that is exactly why I love shaving with a straight so much. Here some example:

- The whole process demands laser focus that distracts me from my job-related stress and worries.
- The fact that the straight razor is "dangerous" requires time, attention and care for the process (aka for me) which otherwise I would not have.
- Having a straight razor almost always leads to honing which in itself is almost as enjoyable as shaving.
- Honing creates a zen-moment in which I totally get relaxed.
- The feeling of honing a razor from blunt to hairsplitting sharpness is a great achievement which gives me a feeling of joy and proudness.

I still use an electrical razor becaus of time constraints but whenever I can I use a straight razor (a kamisori actually). I love the clean look I get from using a straight, but to be quite honest my main reason for using a straight is because I enjoy the whole process so much.

Top Bottom