What's new

Why do YOU use a straight razor?

mmexport1616828892826.png

I have tried all types of safety razors, DE, AC, GEM, Injector, shavette... My answer is that SR provides more angles that can be used. When I used DE ATG, even riding the cap, the blade is still at a slight angle. You have to press the cap into the skin so that the blade can be almost parallel to the skin, but SR can easily do it. At this point, you can even put a little pressure on the spine to be truly non-irritating. When the blade slides on the skin, SR is more tolerant, compared with the DE blade.
SR looks very primitive, but after practice you can shave very well, because you really learn not to put pressure on the razor.

For myself, I think this is part of it. When I joined the Army as a young man, I chose Infantry Paratroops, rode a fast bike, always looking for the next adventure. Never satisfied unless out front on the bleeding edge.

My family thought I'd evolve I guess but I'm almost 60 and still ride a Cafe Racer and enjoy pushing the limits... to a point.

I'd say this forum was a also a large contributing factor, bunch of enablers.😜
Also as someone else said, the challenge of learning and perfecting a new skillset.
I'm a complete noob, only 6 or 7 shaves in but things are progressing well and I'm pretty excited since it looks like my new Ralf Aust might finally arrive tomorrow. That'll be my first higher range(mid-range?) SR so I'm pretty stoked.

My kind of man, Salute Sir. Yes I completely understand. 3rd Combat Brigade, 2nd 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division. I'm almost 60 as well and I approve your answer :clap:

I am a relatively new convert. I had used a brush and soap for decades, but with a cartridge. Then COVID hit and my 2.5 hr/day commute to work disappeared as I went into Work From Home mode. So had some extra time and limited options on how to spend it. I’ve had an interest in higher end kitchen knives for some time and had always been dissatisfied with the nature of the modern razor industry (expensive crappy blades that you are constantly replacing).

So I decided to look into alternatives. I ordered a DE and a straight the same day. The DE arrived first and the straight when it arrived was not really shave ready as advertised (I know, shocking!!!). So in that first 2 weeks I probably used the DE more than the straight. But even from the first shave the straight appealed to me more. Maybe it was because the DE was too easy to use - I got an awesome shave on the first try. But I have always been drawn to activities that require a learning curve to master. And of course there is the mystique. A lot of the other points are valid too - I’m not throwing stuff out - in fact the opposite, some of my acquisitions have been razors that were so beat up as to be candidates for the garbage bin. The DE use rapidly dropped off once I figured out how to get a decent edge on a straight and I think I’ve put in at least 50 consecutive shaves on a straight at this point.

Not sure what happens when life returns to normal. For sure I will stick to straights at home, but I guess for travel I will have to fall back to cartridges since most of my business travel involves an airplane. But for now it has been 6 months without using a cartridge and I am going to continue that streak as long as I can.

I always got nicks and weepers from cartridges. And discarding them does nothing great for the environment. Str8ts give me the control to avoid that. I do have some Gillette Fat Boys and Slim Adjustables that will allow similar control of blade angle for different strokes with or against the grain. And I have a very old Schick Injector that just might be the best shaver ever! But there is nothing as personal as honing and stropping an edge to get it exactly where you prefer it.

in this fast paced bulls**t world where men identify as women and vice versa
I get it. Trans people have been made into a prop for political outrage. But for others of us, it isn't a political issue, but a human one. My teenager struggles with gender dysphoria. I used the word "struggles". It isn't fun, and they aren't trying to be trendy.

However, I told my kid they are the reason someone shaves with a straight razor. We had a good laugh. So thanks for that, I guess.

The rest of my supplies should arrive for my first straight razor shave today and I'm beyond excited. I've somehow been sucked into shaving as a hobby recently, and I'm loving it. I love the simplicity and challenge of it. Straight razors, above all other types of razors, are fascinating and beautiful. That's why I'm taking the plunge.

Started shaving with a straight as a teenager when cartridge razors would irritate my skin badly.
Thought a straight would be really good because with a stone and one razor I could theoretically only use that for years.
Haha over the years the razors have multiplied as well as the stones but still have the same goal.

I get it. Trans people have been made into a prop for political outrage. But for others of us, it isn't a political issue, but a human one. My teenager struggles with gender dysphoria. I used the word "struggles". It isn't fun, and they aren't trying to be trendy.

However, I told my kid they are the reason someone shaves with a straight razor. We had a good laugh. So thanks for that, I guess.

The rest of my supplies should arrive for my first straight razor shave today and I'm beyond excited. I've somehow been sucked into shaving as a hobby recently, and I'm loving it. I love the simplicity and challenge of it. Straight razors, above all other types of razors, are fascinating and beautiful. That's why I'm taking the plunge.
Yeah I probably could’ve worded it better, meant no offence to your boy.

In the practical sense i use straights because i make it a point to shave with every razor i sell. I'm of the opinion that if you pay $$$ for a razor i need to make sure it shaves well.

In the more philosophical sense i shave with one because i think it is cool and because i like edges

It’s a man thing.

The modern world has made our lives incredibly easy. You don’t need to hunt, grow crops, build anything or even cook a meal for yourself. You don’t need to know where you’re going or how to fix your car pr house. Half the time you don’t even need to push the accelerator. In this world everything can be outsourced. If anyone takes offence to your scruffy appearance and lack of effort, that’s their problem not yours. All you need to do to survive is be able to perform some minutely simple and precise function that no one has worked out how to mechanize yet. Failing that the welfare system will probably look after you anyways. You are probably entitled to that somehow. We have worked out how to make our lives incredibly easy and convenient. If you don’t choose to seek out your own challenges in this world, it can also be incredibly dull and unfulfilling.

By using a straight razor you make a daily statement (if only to yourself). As you stare into the mirror you remind yourself that you’re a man. You have tools and you know how to use them. You’ve invested in your kit and yourself by taking the time to develop a useful skill. You know how to sharpen, maintain and handle a blade. You understand and respect the etiquette of polite society and I take pride in your work and your appearance.

You are entirely responsible for the results that you achieve. No one is holding you back or helping you. If you succeed or fail, it’s squarely on your shoulders. There’s no customer support to complain to if you can’t get a BBS shave. There’s also no one to sue if you happen to chop your ear off. The stakes aren’t as high as having to find and take down a prehistoric bear to stop your family from starving but the spirit of self-reliance is the same.

For me, using a straight razor is about reclaiming my time and state of mind.

I became tired of my life being a task list, and wanted to make changes that allowed me to experience my life.

Starting or ending the day with a straight razor shave reminds me to take my time, slow down, and enjoy. Let alone how much I enjoy using these wonderful instruments, still perfectly preserved from a time when Dickens was writing and the world was a different place, what a perspective it gives...lol.

Still one of the most enjoyable aspects of my day, I consider it a meditation if that makes any sense.

SOTD-WBOTTPCVERDE0170629.jpg

Your son is lucky to have you as his father. Respect!

Top Bottom