What's new

Why do YOU use a straight razor?

64 in a month

Yes this! Honestly, I got better and more comfortable shaves from my DE. Maybe someday I’ll get there with a straight razor.
For me it’s all about that 10 minutes of mindfulness I get in the morning when I shave. There is no other part of my waking day, where I am focused on one task, without all the other junk floating around in my head.

I started using a straight razor 10 years ago. I hated using cartridge razors, and I was tired of buying blades for DE razors.

I'm a HUGE history-buff, and I love the history of almost ANYTHING and EVERYTHING - including shaving.

I have quite dry, and sensitive skin, and I decided to take a page from history, and use a straight razor. I found it so much fun that I just never stopped...

I use straigth, shavette actually, because I have stubble to remove.
I use also other means to shave, but this is most enjoyable and relaxing method.

Gents I really appreciate the strong feedback on this thread. It is a unique experience taking a razor sharp naked blade to your face and for all of us here an experience we enjoy. There are some strong themes coming through and it seems that I am getting into this for many of the same reasons you guys have. I must admit that I went back to my DE this morning... It was a cop out but after my first week of straights I just felt that I needed that guaranteed close comfortable shave. I’m far from done with the straights though and it gives me comfort to know that it’s there, ready and waiting for our next encounter!

Please keep the posts coming. I find the physiological element and motivation people have for purposefully choosing a harder and often more fulfilling path very interesting. It seems that I am in good company here.

I find the physiological element and motivation people have for purposefully choosing a harder and often more fulfilling path very interesting. It seems that I am in good company here.

Hmm I don't think its harder once you get used to it, it's like learning to walk and ride a bike we never stop learning. But I do agree B&B members do seem to push you over the edge, into the darkness that we all call that rabbit hole but in a good way. It opens one's mind and I do believe it makes you more of a Gentleman, in using something that dates back to the year dot, all we need is a time machine.

Here's a few of my reasons in no particular order
  • It's fun
  • It serves as my daily meditation
  • I like history and shaving with a SR is living history
  • I like cool tools
  • It's gentle and good for my skin
  • SR shaving has a big cool factor
  • It's a hobby that fits in a single dresser door

I must admit that I went back to my DE this morning... It was a cop out

First of all, using a DE (or dare I say it, a cartridge razor) is not a cop out. Shave with what makes you happy each and every day.

I've been shaving daily with straights for about two years now. But Mondays are GEMMondays and I regularly use something from my collection of 9 "modern" and antique GEM razors. It makes me happy! And even though it's not a GEMMonday today, I still used my old wedge blade GEM today. So much fun! I'll even confess to occasionally getting out the Old Type for a DE shave. Again, because sometimes it makes me happy.

A cop out? No way. If it makes you happy, go for it! Your face, your shave. Always!

I had a decade marred with on and off flings with bad to worse DE shaving experience.
I tried half blade shavette as well.

Mostly because I had bad equipment and didn't knew that, also I didn't knew how to shave properly and that put me off to shaving itself.

This past year, I was introduced to the world of wet shaving, tutorial videos and this forum.

I actually learnt how to shave properly with DE razor recently (less than 6 months), and I tried my old shavette (half DE blade).

I saw @rbscebu posting on several threads encouraging folks to get into Straight razor shaving (especially for " sensitive " skin), and I was always intrigued.

The cost of getting a straight razor and it's maintanence set-up put me off, especially because in my country (India) there is absolutely no market, atleast I'm not aware of it.

Luckily, another member sent me his Feather Artist Club razors (folding and Kamisori) on loan/ trial.

This helped me to use and decide if Straight razor will be a viable option for me or not.

My reason for using Straight razor (Kamisori) :

Now, I am using Kamisori daily and my face has never felt better after shaving.

I'm extremely happy with the quality of shaves and my skin doesn't feel like it went through a hazing exercise after the shave just so that I can have a clean shaved look.

Initially, after 1st pass with Kamisori, I thought that the shave didn't occured but the whiskers were gone !

Turns out, Kamisori is in my wheelhouse and I struggle with DE razors.

I'm hoping to become proficient with the Kamisori so that I can continue to use it as my Main razor, because I don't think I'll like going back to DE razors.

I'm also keeping track of my progress with the Kamisori in the forum Journals, so far it is going well.

The honing is a calming meditation.

You can make it your own.

It's a hobby.

Any fellow who had the skills for straights, would definitely do it. A fellow who is good at driving stick would not pay money for an automatic transmission.

So the answer in the reverse, is the guys who use carts do so because they don't have the skills for straights. Not judging, not their fault, just the truth. At 16 they learned on an auto transmission and now at age 50 it would be very hard to overcome a lifetime of muscle memory and drive stick.

At age 50 it was certainly very hard for me to do it.

And that's what the advertising bastards at Gillette really depend on. They pretend that it's because their carts have five blades and a lubricant strip but no, it's because they captured their audience at age 16 and now it would be difficult for their market to wriggle free from their grip.

it's because they captured their audience at age 16 and now it would be difficult for their market to wriggle free from their grip.

You know, you just made me realize I made this very mistake with my son. At 16 when he had to start shaving at least part of his face on a daily basis I bought him a good electric just so he could hit the spots he needed and keep moving. Then I bought him all the items for wet shaving, nice brush, good cream, pre and post shave... and I handed him a cartridge. I still think to learn that was a good plan lest he cut his ear or nose off due to teenage inattention, but it's definitely time to show him there's a world beyond Gillette.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Right now I'm working my way through a series of two-week shaves with a pile of slant razors. I get bored easy, however, so after I do a couple I'll take a break and use a barber straight for a little while. I started because it just seemed like something that would be fun to learn.

I wanted a barber straight because I don't need another thing to sharpen. Because I sharpen tools -- everything from knives to drill bits to scythes to axes to saws -- I don't always view sharpening/honing as something to do for "fun." I'm aware that a very simple perceptual shift could make it appealing, but I find having a replaceable edge congenial.

It's pushed my technique up a notch. "Safety" razors that didn't feel all that safe earlier now feel well within my skillset. That's got me doing safety razor shaves that suddenly are almost as close as a good naked blade shave, which is both amusing and satisfying. I have one more week of shaves on the razor I'm reviewing at the moment, then I'm planning to bust a blade and haul out the Focus Slim for a little while.

O.H.

I moved to straights because I tend to gravitate towards the more extreme end of the spectrum. I used electric and carts prior to the swap over, and had spent time in the military where shaving is a must (even in the field). I was tired of the in-growns, crummy results, and having a rough face a few hours after the shave. Carts are quick and convenient but the results & costs were sub-par.

My father had used a DE back in the 70s, but it never occurred to me to use one; I was drawn to the straight. 22 years ago there was almost no internet info on how to use one, so I bought it and worked it out myself.

I fell in love immediately despite the so-so shaves, cuts, and time it took. There was something about it; the concentration/zen/mindfulness, the connection to history, the beauty of the razor. Time and practice gave way to faster and better shaves and so the journey began.

I also guided my son. He started with canned foam & carts from the supermarket, but he didn't like the results as he has curly hair. He borrowed my straights a few times for a sneaky try, I noticed he was interested so I helped him. While he doesn't shave daily (as he could and should) his skills have leapt over the last year and he is now reasonably proficient.

Every man's journey is different, DEs or straights it's all good. It's a small time during the day you can spend working on improving yourself, away from the cares of the world.

Through out my life I have been drawn to accomplish goals that other people might consider difficult. I use a straight razor because it requires a steady hand, concentration, mental focus, and it just fits my "All the way, and then some!" lifestyle. Also it is cool as 💩

I moved to straights because I tend to gravitate towards the more extreme end of the spectrum.

For myself, I think this is part of it. When I joined the Army as a young man, I chose Infantry Paratroops, rode a fast bike, always looking for the next adventure. Never satisfied unless out front on the bleeding edge.

My family thought I'd evolve I guess but I'm almost 60 and still ride a Cafe Racer and enjoy pushing the limits... to a point.

I'd say this forum was a also a large contributing factor, bunch of enablers.😜
Also as someone else said, the challenge of learning and perfecting a new skillset.
I'm a complete noob, only 6 or 7 shaves in but things are progressing well and I'm pretty excited since it looks like my new Ralf Aust might finally arrive tomorrow. That'll be my first higher range(mid-range?) SR so I'm pretty stoked.

When I was on my own I started using a straight razor in my late teens. I had a dovo stainless steel straight razor and a paddle strop with a stone on one side in the leather on the other. I used it years. Just one razor. Granted I didn’t have to shave every day due to my profession. But to me straight razors gave me the best shave out of any shaving system. I’ve tried a few in the past and they were OK. But a straight razor shave Gave me the closest smoothest less irritating shave out of all the systems I tried later on in life. 34+Years later nothings changed except I’ve added more Straight razors to my collection.

I moved to straights because I tend to gravitate towards the more extreme end of the spectrum. I used electric and carts prior to the swap over, and had spent time in the military where shaving is a must (even in the field). I was tired of the in-growns, crummy results, and having a rough face a few hours after the shave. Carts are quick and convenient but the results & costs were sub-par.

My father had used a DE back in the 70s, but it never occurred to me to use one; I was drawn to the straight. 22 years ago there was almost no internet info on how to use one, so I bought it and worked it out myself.

I fell in love immediately despite the so-so shaves, cuts, and time it took. There was something about it; the concentration/zen/mindfulness, the connection to history, the beauty of the razor. Time and practice gave way to faster and better shaves and so the journey began.

I also guided my son. He started with canned foam & carts from the supermarket, but he didn't like the results as he has curly hair. He borrowed my straights a few times for a sneaky try, I noticed he was interested so I helped him. While he doesn't shave daily (as he could and should) his skills have leapt over the last year and he is now reasonably proficient.

Every man's journey is different, DEs or straights it's all good. It's a small time during the day you can spend working on improving yourself, away from the cares of the world.
I started later than you and I'm just teaching my son how to shave, but beside from that my journey and thoughts are pretty much the same as yours.

is there really any other way to shave for an honorable gent?

history, process, zen, relaxation, comfortable, irritation free, badass, wicked, unconventional, unorthodox, not main stream, not hipster, not advertised, manly, real, down to earth, honest, undeniably and unequivocally sexy beyond any type of censure or reproach.

most important of all.......the way things used to be done right without question.

that's the way I see her sports fans.

camo

Top Bottom