What's new

Why do YOU use a straight razor?

I originally switched from cartridges to DE and found that I began to gravitate to the more "aggressive" razors. I love the blade feel and it has become an itch that I need to scratch. With the more and more aggressive razors I noticed that my lifelong razor irritation was much reduced with razors that have more blade feel.

I made the leap to Straight Razors, and today I obtain bbs shaves on three passes that give me plenty of blade feel, but all of the symptoms of irritation have completely gone away. I wish that someone had told me that this was possible in 1984 when I started shaving.

SR shaving is truly a meditative process and I make the time to have my long shaves and it is one thing that brings me much joy. New razors, soaps, brushes, fragrances, hones, etc. Variety is truly the spice of live.

Fortunately, I have acquired as many razors as I will need even if the rest of the world figures this secret out and hunts down all of the remaining razors, I will still be set for life! I know that there are others here who think this way as well. You are not alone.

I also noticed that I preferred more blade feel on a DE razor.I went through a couple “aggressive” type DE razors..I decided I wanted to try a Straight Razor...As I’m naturally pretty good with both hands I realized that while you do have to respect the blade,It’s ALOT easier than many make it out to be..I learned to hone my own razors and I have been maintaining the edge on balsa strops/diamond paste..In a few months I can now match my DE results and enjoy it much more...So for me it was all bout the “feel”If anyone reading has ever sharpened a knife and really got a kick out of shaving the hair on your arm to test the edge....Then Straights may be for you..

I started out of curiosity. DE razors were a revelation when I discovered them. I used to think this ancient 50's technology must be obsolete, right? So I was curious to try straights too.

I guess the challenge of shaving with a naked edge appealed to me too.

I've kept it up because I enjoy it. We're a tool-using species. Learning & practicing a skill is part of what makes us human. It's what we do.

I regularly go through periods of several days without shaving. A straight effortlessly slicing through a short beard is very satisfying.

Mostly the reasons everyone has listed. I wasn’t raised to be specifically against the throw away economy, but at the same time most things my family did sort of ingrained that in me. If it’s broke and fixable, I fix it... the same thing my Dad did. If it’s broke and not fixable, I replace it with something of higher quality that will be fixable in the future. It’s kind of a hand me down of my parents growing up on a farm in the rural Southeast back in the 50’s. My family slaughtered our own hogs up until the mid 90’s, and they still “used everything but the squeal.” I despise spending money on things that will be thrown away after a few uses. My dad did shave with a disposable bic, but he would use the same one for 15+ shaves because he despised throwing things away. Don’t know how he did that. So I’m pretty against the throw away convenience economy. Plus it’s pretty environmentally friendly. I’m not a tree hugger, but at the same time believe we should be good stewards of Earth.

Add to that the nostalgia of knowing the old ways, the “Zen” time of actually shaving, and taking a tool from over a 100 years ago and using it to give myself a shave far superior to the plastic carts in common use today... and SR shaving was almost love at first sight for me.

Got my first straight in 1967 when I was stationed in Morocco. It was French made but I no longer remember the brand. It was broken in a move in the mid 70's. Changed to electric, DE and cartridge. In about 2000, through the magic of these interwebs, got interested in straights again. Bought more than I can ever use. Threw a PE in 2007 and my doctors said electric only. I'm obstinate and continue to use a straight.

Top Bottom