What's new

Why do you live where you live?

And what keeps you there? Is it family, climate, job, language, taxes, cost of living, lifestyle??? If it’s finance related, and money was no object would you still live there???

With retirement less than 2 yrs away for me I’ve been doing some deep soul searching recently about where we live. I’m locked into my home mostly because of my job. Partly because of family and roots. Partly because of lifestyle—I still really love the ocean and the outdoors. But since my location is about 90% due to my job, relocation after retirement is looking like an option. But if money was no object, I would probably still live here or at least split my time with another location. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I moved from New England to SW Ohio for a job. When I was in my 20s I bought a piece of land not exactly on but in sight of the Margaree River on Cape Breton Island. My plan was to build a small house there and retire to it by age 60. I'm now past 60, I'm still working full time, and there's no house on the land on Cape Breton; in fact, I haven't even been to Cape Breton in 15 years.

Family business that can't relocate. Family roots (my wife's). That said I love the geography and people (most of them) here. Other than hurricanes and some economic development issues in my town I love it.

Excellent question. I have lived in my hometown my whole life aside from my college days. I have stayed because of my job. My work and leisure has had me traveling to 60+ countries, many numerous times, and this has given me a great appreciation for the world outside of my hometown and the USA. I have also traveled the US extensively and feel like it has run its course. My wife is not from my hometown and really has no ties aside from friends. We are set to retire next summer 2022 and are likely moving out of the USA. We are strongly considering Valencia, Spain as a base, with winter months in Thailand. The older we become, the less we can tolerate cold weather and want to move closer to the ocean/sea.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've been retired ten years now. Aside from college I've lived my whole life here. The weather is not ideal for me, as I hate winter and I'm in upstate NY. But we don't have floods, hurricanes, droughts, or repressive summer heat. We have seasons, but I hate snow and cold, so I'm only happy about the weather a little over half the year.

But my grandchildren all live here, and they are worth the cold. And I'm 2 1/2 hours from Broadway.

I moved from New England to SW Ohio for a job. When I was in my 20s I bought a piece of land not exactly on but in sight of the Margaree River on Cape Breton Island. My plan was to build a small house there and retire to it by age 60. I'm now past 60, I'm still working full time, and there's no house on the land on Cape Breton; in fact, I haven't even been to Cape Breton in 15 years.

I fear that our plans for retirement will get sidetracked and in 15 years we will be sitting right where we are. It will be a real challenge to pick up and start all over again, but that is the plan as of today. I hope your home gets built one day.

Family business that can't relocate. Family roots (my wife's). That said I love the geography and people (most of them) here. Other than hurricanes and some economic development issues in my town I love it.

Is that home city NO?

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Family.

Grew up in St. Louis. For a decade, dragged my family chasing a job to Oklahoma and California before manning up and returning to family in St. Louis.

If our children relocate, we’d likely move within a few hours of them, focusing on a coastal or Mountain view.

Not quite. I'm on the Mississippi Gulf Coast - Biloxi more or less. I lived in NOLA for about 5 years including 3 of college and we're there all the time. One of the things I love about this area... Kinda like Jimmy Buffett sings, never been west of New Orleans or east of Pensacola - I'm right in the middle!!! Like everywhere it has its issues but I guess that's part of the personality.

I had the fortunate ability to have a career(programmer) that allowed me to live anywhere. I went to Appalachian State and I always wanted to return to the hills. I lived in my big city hometown until I got a job at a university in a small town in Appalachia and we raised our kids there. When it came time to figure out the next step, we decided to stay in the area but move to the small town where my wife grew up. The population of the county is about half the size of the small town where we previously lived. But we are living in town on 12 acres in a 5800 sq ft house that can be one level living. I can walk downtown and watch people fish for small mouth bass.

However, someone asked the question at a conference "If your spouse died, would you stay or would you go?". I wouldn't know what the answer would be because I'm not sure where I would go. My former city is the natural answer because I know so many people but I have grown accustomed to living in a crime-free world.

Commercial Real Estate income: that's the ONLY reason! Once I'm rid of it (soon hopefully) I'm heading somewhere more RED where I'm not taxed to death and where it doesn't get so cold in the winter. It'll probably somewhere in rural Tennessee, the weather down there is damn near perfect year round if you ask me. And the people are super nice too.

I moved here because of life circumstances and stayed out of convenience. It's been five years and I'm ready to leave. Currently I've got Maine, Oregon, Washington, and Hawaii in my sights. I firmly believe that life is very short, and have known far too many people that have died either right before, or right after they retired. Live where your heart wants to live while you're alive and well. 31305992416_f0a0736c32_b.jpg

This is where my job and pension is, so I am here for at least another three years. Once that is no longer the holding factor, I plan to be out of here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Grew up in Texas. Moved to Michigan for my wife’s surgical residency, then Indiana for her new practice and to be close to her family. Always thought I’d return to Texas but with my mom gone, brother in NM, and Dad likely to move to Costa Rica next year when he retires I’m not sure I’ll move back. I really enjoyed living in Michigan and wouldn’t mind going back.

Interesting how many mention family as a reason to stay. To me, life is too short to live anywhere for someone else. My adult kids are already looking to get out of here and I would never discourage them from living where they would be happy and refuse to allow them to keep me where I am not happy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom