What's new

Why do you live where you live?

It is on the other side of the world.... No wait you are on the other side of the world.

it certainly not the weather because there are many places in Australia with nicer weather.
It has all the benefits of a European city maybe not as many downfalls as some. It is a creative city and it is not Sydney. Apologies to any Sydneysiders. I did live there in the seventies.

Unless the world is flat, in which case you apparently either don't exist or NASA is paying you to sit on B&B telling people about the magical/mythical/make believe land of Australia :lol:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
1. Family — aging (and declining) parents/in-laws, lots of extended family in the area;
2. Wife’s desire to live here (happy wife, happy life); and
3. There is something special about Western Pennsylvania (besides Friday night high school football). But it’s not the weather!

I moved to Aberdeen for University (with no plans of staying), fell into a career in the subsea industry, then got married and started a family. The longer I stay in Aberdeen the more I appreciate what all it has to offer, it's a small city but from my my house:

- I can walk into the city center in about 45 mins passing various parks along the way,
- my morning commute (whenever we can go back into the office) is 15mins each way so I can come home at lunch to run around with my dog in the garden;
- I can drive for 20mins and be at the beach (cold, but we have beautiful beaches), 30mins in the other direction and there are more beaches including one with a seal colony
- I can drive for 1 to 2 hours and be in the Cairngorms National Park, the scenery is hard to beat!
- Within a 1.5 hour drive there are multiple castles that I can go and visit
- It's known as the 'Granite City' because of the old quarries (pic of a flooded quarry below) and the fact that so many buildings are made of granite, include the 2nd largest granite building in the world.

1619085053007.png1619085086902.png1619085104369.png1619085123562.png1619085175884.png1619085199244.png1619085215610.png1619085253577.png1619085410485.png1619085547542.png

Inertia . . . I was born here, grew up here, started a job and a family here. That said, when we finally sell our home, we will be moving away . . . FAR away. Our nice small town is now the 9th largest City in the country, and I do not want to deal with it for much longer.

Legion

Staff member
I moved to Aberdeen for University (with no plans of staying), fell into a career in the subsea industry, then got married and started a family. The longer I stay in Aberdeen the more I appreciate what all it has to offer, it's a small city but from my my house:

- I can walk into the city center in about 45 mins passing various parks along the way,
- my morning commute (whenever we can go back into the office) is 15mins each way so I can come home at lunch to run around with my dog in the garden;
- I can drive for 20mins and be at the beach (cold, but we have beautiful beaches), 30mins in the other direction and there are more beaches including one with a seal colony
- I can drive for 1 to 2 hours and be in the Cairngorms National Park, the scenery is hard to beat!
- Within a 1.5 hour drive there are multiple castles that I can go and visit
- It's known as the 'Granite City' because of the old quarries (pic of a flooded quarry below) and the fact that so many buildings are made of granite, include the 2nd largest granite building in the world.

View attachment 1255260View attachment 1255261View attachment 1255262View attachment 1255263View attachment 1255265View attachment 1255266View attachment 1255267View attachment 1255268View attachment 1255269View attachment 1255272
I think Billy Connolly once said Aberdeen is the Gaelic word for hyperthermia.

I think Billy Connolly once said Aberdeen is the Gaelic word for hyperthermia.
It can be cold especially with the wind coming off the North Sea, but it's a lot drier than the central belt (Edinburgh/Glasgow). It gets colder if you venture further up to places like Fraserburgh or Peterhead, so it could be worse!

Well, for starters...

Nice bending of the rod
Looks like a fish is hooked
One of the reasons i live where i live is the
River
I live in Stara Zagora
I was born there
After my graduation i found a good job there
Met my wife there
Well my family and friends are living there
But the river, the river is beautiful

Attachments

• DSC_0066.jpg
    DSC_0066.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
  • MOV_0088_97514.jpg
    MOV_0088_97514.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200426_105202_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20200426_105202_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
I really should have presented this as a poll. I’ve been reading everyone’s responses and I’m surprised that family/roots is such a popular reason for people living where they are. I really thought it would be more economically motivated like job, taxes, cost of living. it’s actually very touching.

And I found other categories I didn’t think of like “Love” thanks to @Badgerstate36 and “Politics” thanks to @BudgetShaverGuy

Family/roots also factors into me living here. Our older boy recently got himself grounded due to bad grades and ironically his punishment was to visit all our family gravesites and make a PowerPoint presentation about his genealogy. (I know, weird that it’s punishment but we had to get him away from his room and electronics).

It’s also surprising how much lifestyle factors into our living choices. Yeah. Sometimes this is the reason why I live where I live (Friday afternoons with our older boy):

View attachment 1255182
Well, I picked the primary reason as family. However, AZ is a low-tax state and at the time we moved the real estate values and cost of living was excellent. If my kids and grandkids lived in a high cost-of-living area we would never have made the move.

When I retired I moved to the east coast of Florida. I did not like the way of life there. Although I was a New Yorker from birth, I always preferred the slower pace of life. Retiring on the east coast of Florida was like retiring in NYC with warmer weather and no snow. One good thing about living there was I met my wife there!

We moved to St. Petersburg FL and lived there for over five years. We lived in a three-bedroom townhouse that was ideal. It was close to the beach and we liked living there. Unfortunately, the HOA was controlled by the builder and our HOA fees tripled to just under $600 a month. In addition, we found the individuals who live there were not very friendly which surprised us since most were retired.

At that time our nephew was a strength and condition trainer for the White Sox. We started to make trips to AZ with his parents for spring training. On our first trip, I fell in love with the beauty of AZ. We did this for four years when my son changed jobs and moved from the Chicago area to Chandler, AZ. His first assignment with his new company required him to be out of the country for a month He and his wife asked us to take care of the grandkids and we did. After a month my wife and I realized that seeing the grandkids twice a year was not what we wanted. Plus, we found the people out West to be more friendly and courteous. My wife was born in a small town in Indiana and although she considers herself a "city girl," she does have what I call Mid-Western values. At that time real estate values were down from what they were previously. We traded a 1,800 square foot, three-bedroom townhouse for a 2,800 square foot four-bedroom house - with a swimming pool - and the cost was far less than what we paid in St. Petersburg.

So, although I put family as the reason for why we live in AZ there are a number of things that went into that decision.

Japan.

Would I still be here? Yes, but more coastal...and we’re working on that.

I met my wife over here 13 years ago. I conned her into moving to California with me for the family biz. We survived at subsistence level and bought a house (mixed blessing that). My house is in nowhereville...but pretty much 30 mins to Orange County or LA. My mortgage is over 1700/month. 100 years old with tiny property.

My place here is rural, but about 50 mins from Tokyo by bus/train. Close enough. My nearest neighbor is 800 yards away with only rice fields between us. My house is 15yo on a quarter acre (big here...big enough for me). I have a tiny assorted orchard, a fish pond, and a house that runs on all solar. I pay 450/mo.

There are many many reasons why we came back, most come down to the bottom line, value and happiness

Contrary to belief it is not that expensive to live here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
@Ganko that is beautiful country you live & fish in ... and that stream, wow! One of my favorite pistols, a Cold War-era No.10 Makarov, was manufactured just down the road in Kazanlak.

I enjoy fishing smaller streams, such as the one in your/my earlier photo ... though it takes quite a bit of hiking to get to them, they are generally devoid of other people/anglers. That’s a fine brown you’re holding & the fly appears to be an Adams or Adams variant?

I eventually landed this cutthroat trout that was bowing my rod (earlier photo), despite being hassled by the two (moose) cows in the foreground & a large bull off to my left:

What I forgot to add, a 10 minute walk in the other direction of my apartment brings me to this little bit of greenery. Not bad for a City of 2 Millions :c9:
Public transport is excellent and nearly for free (360.00 per year)
Crime rates are low to negligible
Taxes are, well taxes but still it works out...
My 1400 square feet apartment in a historical building with 12 feet ceilings and 8 feet high double doors runs about 1,500 a month.
5186170E-4FAD-4680-9E51-3080BD6C9CA3.jpeg

@Ganko that is beautiful country you live & fish in ... and that stream, wow! One of my favorite pistols, a Cold War-era No.10 Makarov, was manufactured just down the road in Kazanlak.

I enjoy fishing smaller streams, such as the one in your/my earlier photo ... though it takes quite a bit of hiking to get to them, they are generally devoid of other people/anglers. That’s a fine brown you’re holding & the fly appears to be an Adams or Adams variant?

I eventually landed this cutthroat trout that was bowing my rod (earlier photo), despite being hassled by the two (moose) cows in the foreground & a large bull off to my left:

@shoelessjoe You really surprised me
Makarov is one of the best i ever had the chance to hold in my hand

The river is 30 miles away from my home
It takes 1 hour to drive in the mountain
And then 2 hours walking to reach the river
You can hardly find any traces of human being there
But along the river banks you can see bear tracks i have met woolfs but mostly boar
You are right about the fly
It's adams hackle stacker dry fly in size 16 (super fine dry fly dubbing adams grey
Coachman braun and grizzly from withings farm)
Simple but very effective fly
I really enjoy dry fly fishing
It is 80% of my fishing trips
Every year i release around 10 000 baby brauns in this rever
I was wondering what is the fly rod you are using and is this a silk line on your reel

I can't imagine what would be my life without fly fishing and country music

Attachments

• 20140803_135634_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20140803_135634_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 20150314_072538_Richtone(HDR)-1.jpg
    20150314_072538_Richtone(HDR)-1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
I moved from New England to north Florida some 25 years ago. Got married, had kids, got divorced, and found love again. My partner and I both work in fields that could get us work almost anywhere (education for me, health care for her). Do we love it here? Yes and no. Will we stay? Probably not, but we have to wait another 5 years until my youngest is out of high school. We've talked about the mountains, the Pacific NW, the desert, and even overseas.

Now that that's out of the way: My job is here, I've known the rotten place almost my whole life, and Miss Linda is reluctant to discuss moving with me. I want desperately to be somewhere with 4 seasons and properly paved streets -- where the local "culture" does not consist primarily of sitting outdoors in heat that would stun a Cape buffalo to eat red-black insectoids with your hands. As soon as I retire, baby, I'm outta here.

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
....I'm heading somewhere more RED where I'm not taxed to death and where it doesn't get so cold in the winter. It'll probably somewhere in rural Tennessee, the weather down there is damn near perfect year round if you ask me. And the people are super nice too.

:lol: well as a native of the volunteer state I can attest it doesn't get more red than rural Tennessee, but don't be fooled by no state income tax, you just get taxed to death with a 10% sales tax across the board, even groceries. But yes, the weather is generally nice, except for the floods and tornadoes :biggrin: and yes the people are generally nice assuming you look and act like most of them ;)

All kidding aside, it's a great place to live and I may even retire there myself one day. My suggestion is to check out the Upper Cumberland region near Cookeville.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Our older boy recently got himself grounded due to bad grades and ironically his punishment was to visit all our family gravesites and make a PowerPoint presentation about his genealogy. (I know, weird that it’s punishment but we had to get him away from his room and electronics).

For me, this would be a dream "punishment"

But I get it, I like your parenting style. Hopefully it was a good learning experience for him.

Top Bottom