What's new

Why do women like to watch men shave?

So why do women like to watch men shave? I’ve not done any kind of polling or survey to support my initial assumption, but it does seem to be upheld by my experience (anecdotal though that evidence may be.) Over the years all of the girlfriends I’ve had have, at some point, watched me shave; most have done it more than once, and a few have been rather consistent in their razor voyeurism.

In Pat Franks novel “Alas Babylon,” the main character says that all women, regardless of age, are fascinated by shaving because it’s the ultimate masculine ritual. I'm not sure if I agree, but it does bring up an interesting point.

I have two questions. First, does your S.O. watch you shave often? And second, why do you think she (or he as the case may be) does?

Yep- she's a peeper.:biggrin:

Basically, I think she's attracted to it by the knowledge of the equipment I am using and knowing the results. Plus,its a strictly male ritual-except for the bearded lady.:wink:

Marty

with my EX :biggrin: she would occasionally watch but I think it was just a case where she needed something else to criticize me about usually, although sometimes she would make sure I trimmed my goattee just the way she liked it :biggrin:

My wife doesn't give a crap about the shaving or the ritual surrounding it as long as the outcome is smooth.

She really doesn't like being abraded when we kiss. And although she would never tell me not to have a beard or mustache, I've noticed over 20 years of marriage that those few times I've tried growing facial ornamentation, our.. err, ahem . ."quality time" decreases....
(I think it's a subconscious reaction though, she's too much of a sweetheart and we didn't make it to 20 years by playing mind games with each other.)

Two days ago I looked up after washing my face from my first pass to realize both the cat and my wife were watching me. Then, I pulled this face :eek:. It was a bit of a shock since no one was there and then two of them.

In Pat Franks novel “Alas Babylon,” the main character says that all women, regardless of age, are fascinated by shaving because it’s the ultimate masculine ritual.

I would agree that a lot of women find it interesting but certainly not all.

I would agree that a lot of women find it interesting but certainly not all.

I agree that not all women are interested. I think it's just that they like to see the process we go through to make ourselves look/feel good. My wife comments that she's so impressed by the level of concentration I display when shaving, and she finds it relaxing to just hang out around me while I do it.

The bonus of her being there is that she can defend from the cats trying to steal my gear. :biggrin:

my wife couldn't care less about my shaving...her loss, because I put on one heck of a show (flaming brushes, juggled blades, etc.).

I shave at 0500 hrs even on my days off, so the likelihood of SWMBO watching is absolutely nil. My ex used to watch sometimes, and bought shaving stuff for me too (she liked Royal Copenhagen)

Graham

My wife is just watching hopeing for a bloodfest, and she never gets one. She was never interested in watching me shave until I picked up wetshaving and started using a DE/Str8 razor. She just can't believe what I use to shave, and how much better the results are.

My wife watches me shave.

I got my lil bro to try it one night, and my wife and his fiancee thought it was just the most wonderful thing in the world, they stood at the door the whole time watching.

She likes to watch. Now that she is a DE shaver, she probably would correct me if my blade angle was out of line or my lather was weak. I believe most women watch maybe it because it reminds them of their dad shaving...

Same goes for Women and ties. My girlfriend was always like hey show me how to tie your tie (especially if I wore a bow-tie). She was always fascinated on how I tied it (knowing multiple methods, i.e. Windsor, etc).

Maybe its part of the whole mystique, Women marry men like their fathers and men marry women like their mothers. :lol:

Shaving the face is pretty much an exclusively masculine activity, so yeah, there's that.
In western culture starting in the WWI-WWII generations, shaving shifted from being the look of the influential and the dandy to the fashion sported by the heroes of the great wars, since they were required to be clean-shaven. That culture trend can still be felt today, to a certain extent.

So why do women like to watch men shave? I’ve not done any kind of polling or survey to support my initial assumption, but it does seem to be upheld by my experience (anecdotal though that evidence may be.) Over the years all of the girlfriends I’ve had have, at some point, watched me shave; most have done it more than once, and a few have been rather consistent in their razor voyeurism.

In Pat Franks novel “Alas Babylon,” the main character says that all women, regardless of age, are fascinated by shaving because it’s the ultimate masculine ritual. I'm not sure if I agree, but it does bring up an interesting point.

I have two questions. First, does your S.O. watch you shave often? And second, why do you think she (or he as the case may be) does?

My youngest daughter likes to watch. My wife is pretty indifferent to it.

-Mason

I've only just become comfortable with it. Shaving has always been a really personal ritual for me and it was always just something I didn't want anybody watching me do. That wore off after a certain number of years with her.

I think my wife was fascinated with it at first, but only as an activity that is foreign to her as a woman. That or she just gets a kick out of watching me twist my face this way and that with a bunch of white froth on it...:letterk1:

My wife watches me shave infrequently as she gets frustrated with any activity that keeps me from responding to questions in a timely manner with good elocution. My children, and now grandchildren, enjoy watching me shave. They all tend to have LOTS of questions, They also REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, enjoy soap, aftershave, balm, cologne, and anything else WE can get our hands around.

I clearly remember watching my dad shave and my grandfathers, both grandfathers used straight razors. I felt a great anticipation for the day I would be grown and shaving and took great pride in being related to these men. Some of the best conversations I had with my grandfathers were during this time. They both arose at five (5) am so we were the only one's up in the house. It must be noted that both grandfathers used their strop to spank mischievous children.

My girlfriend watches, as have most of them over the years.

Like most things concerning women, I don't ask why; I just enjoy the fact that they enjoy it.

Top Bottom