What's new

Why do TTO "Butterfly" razors appeal to so many?

You may not see the advantage right now if you're still youngish and in good shape, but wait till you get a bit aged and beat up!

Still, the single piece design and easy loading and unloading make more sense from a convenience standpoint at any age.

For me, the attraction of TTO is two fold:
1. Ease of blade change - Loosen, drop, tighten, done.
2. Ease of clearing during and after a shave - Loosen, swish, tighten, done.

It saves time. This is additionally the case for us that remove, wipe our blades and rinse our razors after each shave.

I see a lot of people really hung up on finding the best TTO Butterfly razor. I sort of understand the adjustability feature on many but, the larger heads on them seem to be something I wouldn't like. For someone like myself that wants something nimble for around my nose and the corners of my mouth, I have a hard time understanding this style of razor.

Then there are the issues I see about people with doors that won't close, handles that rattle, and various loose parts. Sure, if I drop my Edwin Jagger DE89, I'll probably bend or break something but, for $25 or less, a new head is easy to buy from any of several sources. If all you do is strip the threads on the top cap, that is only ~$8 at many shops.

What am I missing? There must be a reason why the TTO Butterfly razor fans are so devoted to a razor like that or, perhaps I am just biased toward a classic 3-piece head.

I don't get the appeal of two-piece razors with the long shaft down to the end of the handle that tightens and loosens the top cap on those similar razors either. The heads however, pretty closely match their 3-piece cousins but, there are zero options to customize them with a new handle.

Well most of what you say is true from your prospective.

Maybe the appeal of the TTO & TTO ADJUSTSBLE is it history, popularity, and last if adjustable you can tune your shave by twisting a simple dial.

Option two on non adjustable is hunting for blade that hits your personal sweet spot, until the day things change, and you wish you had an adjustable.

That give you options with any blade.

JMHO.

Butterfly razors are very good for young men and women trying blade shaving for the first time.

Most young people don't have the patience to learn the basics inserting and removing a razor blade from a three piece razor. I winced a few months ago when a seller had a short video where he was trying to insert a blade into the cap and it kept falling off.

Facebook Marketplace has a number of razors for sale where the newbie states "tried a couple of times and decided double edge razors are not for me." Sad.

A current listing has for $50 the following nearly new items: 1) Twig razor; 2) Thorn razor; 3) Travel case; 4) Stand.

A used razor I acquired and just tried that I may gift to a young person is the Leaf 3-blade. Once I learned to apply pressure like a cartridge the shave was close and comfortable with very low risk of nicks or weepers.

The deal breaker: the half blades are tricky to insert and remove; doing the same with a 3-piece DE is child's play by comparison. The Leaf pre-cut blades made in Egypt fit perfectly; however, the Derby pre-cut I first tried was a poor fit for the two notches. I imagine breaking a DE blade on a number of brands may be problematic.

I confess that despite the obvious simplicity advantage of the 2- and 3-piece razors, I really enjoy TTO razors. I can't offer much that hasn't already been said here but as @Alum Ladd pointed out, despite the fact they would appear to be more prone to breakage, in fact they've proven to be quite robust. I have two 1950's-era Gillette Super Speeds, including a 70-year-old model, and they're absolutely flawless.
While I appreciate 3-piece razors, there's something about TTO designs that I just admire and they make me smile. :)

proxy.php

I can’t shave with TTO razors, I cut myself up. The Rockwell R1 is the exception. I moved to 2 and 3 piece razors after going through 2 Viking blade, cheap VH, and a Fatboy. Constant issues with uneven blade gap with evey adjustable i tried. Now my go to is the R41 and the 6C R6. I do enjoy my 34G in the shower. It’s mild but it’s as close to an automatic razor as they make.

Oh, boy ... I've really got the bug now.
I just ordered yet another vintage Gillette TTO razor, a 1952 Super Speed.
Stop me before I spend again!!!!

Why stop now!

Now you need to get a '46 Milord and a '49/'50 Executive. Oh, and a must is a '30s Open Comb TTO. The '36 British Aristocrat is one of my smoothest yet efficient razors. Then don't forget the Red Tip Super Speed and a Blue Tip to complete the set. But then the Slim has such a great head profile while the Fatboy a nice handle for grip....then may as well get a toggle as the best of the adjustables. After that then may as well continue down the British route with a '50s SB Aristocrat and a Rocket. But why stop there when you also have the slim twist. May as well not leave out the non-Gilletes like the Krona. And the Segal original TTO is fun to hack up a blade which is easy to do is a great shave....should I stop yet? 😂

lasta

Blade Biter
Butterfly razors are very good for young men and women trying blade shaving for the first time.

Most young people don't have the patience to learn the basics inserting and removing a razor blade from a three piece razor. I winced a few months ago when a seller had a short video where he was trying to insert a blade into the cap and it kept falling off.

Facebook Marketplace has a number of razors for sale where the newbie states "tried a couple of times and decided double edge razors are not for me." Sad.

A current listing has for $50 the following nearly new items: 1) Twig razor; 2) Thorn razor; 3) Travel case; 4) Stand.

A used razor I acquired and just tried that I may gift to a young person is the Leaf 3-blade. Once I learned to apply pressure like a cartridge the shave was close and comfortable with very low risk of nicks or weepers.

The deal breaker: the half blades are tricky to insert and remove; doing the same with a 3-piece DE is child's play by comparison. The Leaf pre-cut blades made in Egypt fit perfectly; however, the Derby pre-cut I first tried was a poor fit for the two notches. I imagine breaking a DE blade on a number of brands may be problematic.
I get you man!

When I got my first 3 piece, I tried to build it up by balancing the baseplate on the handle, placing a balde on top, then covering it with the top cap!

Why stop now!

Now you need to get a '46 Milord and a '49/'50 Executive. Oh, and a must is a '30s Open Comb TTO. The '36 British Aristocrat is one of my smoothest yet efficient razors. Then don't forget the Red Tip Super Speed and a Blue Tip to complete the set. But then the Slim has such a great head profile while the Fatboy a nice handle for grip....then may as well get a toggle as the best of the adjustables. After that then may as well continue down the British route with a '50s SB Aristocrat and a Rocket. But why stop there when you also have the slim twist. May as well not leave out the non-Gilletes like the Krona. And the Segal original TTO is fun to hack up a blade which is easy to do is a great shave....should I stop yet? 😂
Yes, yes, YES!
I need them ALL!!!
:biggrin1::laugh:

Top Bottom