What's new

Why do they do it?

Classic internet BS.

I've been shaving with a DE and canned foam since 1980 with the SAME results as any cream/soap/brush combo I have ever used .The only difference is that I get them within five minutes from start to finish.

MILLIONS of men shaved this way from the late 40s until the late 70s when disposables and cartridges took the SE and DE out.(canned foam had more than 70% of the market from the early 50s and on and NOBODY complained about it and everybody shaved with a DE or SE back than)

Use it CORRECTLY (few people actually know that you have to THOROUGHLY rub it IN your beard and not simply paste it on and most use WAY to much to start with) and you will get a FANTASTIC and FAST shave (I do a 4 pass BBS shave daily since 1980 in five minutes flat).

Once again don't believe the HYPE that some cork sniffers who are fanatic spread about canned foam,get your DE technique down and you will be able to shave with ANY kind of lubrication.

Very well said.

Many people scoff at foam by saying "it's just full of air!" Well how do you think you get a thick, fluffy lather with a brush? By whipping the heck out of it with a brush and introducing... Uh oh.... Air! Another issue most people have with the canned products is that they do not have enough water... We'll look at your soap puck or your tube cream, not much water in there either, right? You have to add it yourself.

With proper hair hydration, and a little water added to the foam, there is no reason these types of products shouldn't produce a nice shave. As luxurious as a brush? Nope. Maybe a little on the drying side if you already have dry skin? Sure. But quick, easy, and effective? Absolutely! I personally have oily skin so I never found any issue using these products in terms of the commonly stated "drying" issue and as time goes on I find myself reaching for a can more often then a brush. For me, the "journey" is perfecting my razor technique and the reward is a stellar shave. The whole brush routine ads a variable that I personally just choose to not bother with all the time and save that for when I want to treat myself. Many new wet shavers are unable to focus on their razor technique, razor choice, and blade choice because they focus so hard on acquiring and using all the soaps, creams, and brushes they can and are actually doing a disservice to themselves. I've read so many posts from new or newer traditional shavers who can't figure out why they can't get a good shave even though they do build a great lather... The lather doesn't take your hair off, the razor does. When I come home from a 12 hr work day, haven't seen my wife or my dog since the night before, and still have to shower, shave, eat dinner, then go to bed simply to repeat the process the next day... It seems absolutely unreasonable and selfish of me to then spend an hour turning my bathroom into a mini day spa simply to get some scruff off my face, I'll save that for my Sunday mornings. If I can grab a trusty can, throw a gsb in my chosen slant of the day, and get darn near BBS in 2 quick passes still with minimal to no irritation afterwards and still have some time to hang out with my wife and puppy before going to bed I'll take that any day.

Another good example: I am a professional craft brewer. The product I produce averages around $6 a pint or $10 a 6pk where as your typical "macro" lager (bud, Miller, Coors) runs around $2 a pint and $5 a 6pk. In this case the macro is a can of foam and the micro craft is a $15 artisanal puck of soap... But do the same job and both serve a specific purpose. At the end of the day the vast majority of the market share chooses to consume macro lager for their affordability and consistency (the can of foam) and will treat themselves occasionally to a micro craft (the fancy artisanal soap). There is a small group who are craft purists who won't go near macro lager just as there is a small group who are brush purists and won't go near a can of foam. Put a $10 glass of a specialty tier 4 craft beer next to a $2 glass of tier 1 Budweiser...both are beer, both will provide the same results that one who chooses to consume a product like that are seeking, it's just that one is a little more fancy.

Now put a $15 Stirling puck next to a $1.29 can of barbasol...both are a shaving lather product, both benefit from the addition of water, both lubricate your skin while hydrating your beard, both require some ratio of air (be it propellant in can or air you ad with a brush), and most importantly: both will offer a good shave if used properly. The only difference: one of them is a little more "pinky up" while the other is a little more "blue collar".

Ok, I'll stop talking now :)

It seems absolutely unreasonable and selfish of me to then spend an hour turning my bathroom into a mini day spa simply to get some scruff off my face,

Good point.

That's why when I see "wet" shaving videos on youtube the guy who shaves has a heavy growth of 2-3 days every time...who has the time to spend 30 minutes for a daily shave? :001_smile

I shave every day because I need to be clean shaven every day ,it is not a hobby for me but a necessity .

Being a necessity means that I have to use the fastest and most effective way to do it and the combination of a DE and shaving foam from a can is the fastest and most effective way. (Whenever I have to shave with a cartridge or disposable I need more time because the gunk up easily and need constant rinsing something the DE does not need).

I've heard many say even a mutli blade cart can work fine if used with a brush and soap/cream, I find the opposite. I can use basically anything to lather with as long as I'm using no more then 1 blade and I pay attention to technique and so forth. Nothing in the world will stop irritation and hospital worthy ingrown hairs for me when using 2+ blades.

Well canned foam came out in the late 40s ...

In the mid-1950s, Robert P. Kaplan of Rochester, NY invented and patented the first aerosol shaving cream can, and the Barbasol Company changed the formula from the thick cream in a tube to the soft, fluffy foam familiar in the aerosol cans today.

Recently I've found the Gillette foamy menthol to be excellent in this insane Florida summer heat. I find the foamy line to be a touch more slick then barbasol and the menthol version makes proraso green or even headslick seem like non-menthol products.

When I shave my head I'll use a can 90% of the time and on my face I'm at probably 60-70% can.

Classic internet BS.

I've been shaving with a DE and canned foam since 1980 with the SAME results as any cream/soap/brush combo I have ever used .The only difference is that I get them within five minutes from start to finish.

MILLIONS of men shaved this way from the late 40s until the late 70s when disposables and cartridges took the SE and DE out.(canned foam had more than 70% of the market from the early 50s and on and NOBODY complained about it and everybody shaved with a DE or SE back than)

Use it CORRECTLY (few people actually know that you have to THOROUGHLY rub it IN your beard and not simply paste it on and most use WAY to much to start with) and you will get a FANTASTIC and FAST shave (I do a 4 pass BBS shave daily since 1980 in five minutes flat).

Once again don't believe the HYPE that some cork sniffers who are fanatic spread about canned foam,get your DE technique down and you will be able to shave with ANY kind of lubrication.
Just want to say I couldn't agree more. It works if you don't just slap it on your face. I always add a touch of water to the canned stuff when it's on my face and it works very well for any number of passes. Glad to see not everyone is up in arms about it.

I just finished a 3 pass using my 37c, fresh personna blue, and barbasol OG. Followed up with my usual alum, witch hazel, then splash of the day and I'm a happy guy with a bbs face and neck.

"They" do it because they either dont know or dont care about traditional wetshaving.

I've used gilette's canned stuff in the past and the experience doesnt come close to the joys of traditional soap.

I wetshave with soap/ brush every morning and it honestly takes me no longer than 10 mins, with 6-7 mins being the average. This includes rinsing the razor and brush and putting them away. So sure, I could "shave" off 2-3 mins in my morning routine using the canned stuff, but I wouldn't.

But I suppose some people just enjoy barbasol. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

They make it because they sell millions upon millions upon millions of cans of the stuff. For every one of us that prefer a soap/cream, there's 10,000 guys that mindlessly grab a can of foam or goop off of the shelf at their store.

Most people just want shaving "done" and don't want to deal with all of the frills that we enjoy.

+1! Unfortunate, but true!

I never had a problem with canned soaps, or disposable razors for that matter. Did the job. Actually started researching de shaving more to cut down on adding another dumpster load to local landfill.

I do love all the choices we have with soaps, razors, blades, brushes. Would not want to go back to being limited to what's available locally.

Many new wet shavers are unable to focus on their razor technique, razor choice, and blade choice because they focus so hard on acquiring and using all the soaps, creams, and brushes they can and are actually doing a disservice to themselves.

slybrewguy, your entire post is pretty spot-on, but this line jumped out at me as one that most applied to me when I started this thing of ours. The urge to get and try as many new things right off the bat is something a few of us have dealt with. Okay, you've got all the cool toys...now learn how to use them!
Regarding your comparison of craft vs macro beers and artisanal vs canned, I look at it as a matter of both ease of access to the product and, most importantly, enjoyment of the product. When I'm pounding back beer I tend to reach for the cheapest case. Those times I spring a little extra for a "good" beer it's going to be a beer that I'll take my time consuming. I treat my soaps and creams (even Arko and Williams!) versus easily accessible canned foam as something I consume with the same enjoyment as those "good" beers.

"They" do it because they either dont know or dont care about traditional wetshaving.

I've used gilette's canned stuff in the past and the experience doesnt come close to the joys of traditional soap.

I wetshave with soap/ brush every morning and it honestly takes me no longer than 10 mins, with 6-7 mins being the average. This includes rinsing the razor and brush and putting them away. So sure, I could "shave" off 2-3 mins in my morning routine using the canned stuff, but I wouldn't.

But I suppose some people just enjoy barbasol. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

For me, I'm similar. I tend to gravitate toward shave gels if I use anything canned (which is quite rare) but I find more enjoyment out of shaving using a brush and soap. As for turning the bathroom into a day spa after a 12 hour shift, well for some people that might not be the way to go. For me, that's when I need the day spa treatment most. Of course then again I'm also a confirmed bachelor so its just me.

Wonder how many cans a shaver puts in a landfill during a lifetime?

How many non-biodegradable plastic razor sticks?

"The answer, my friend ... is blowin' in the wind ... The answer is blowin' in the wind."

AA
Before I discovered shaving soap recently, I must have tossed hundreds of cans away. Perhaps thousands of plastic razors in my lifetime. I did not know any better.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm no tree-hugger; in fact I destroy trees for a living. But it's almost a shame we can make a steel can filled with chemicals and sell them three for a buck. Florida's "Mount Trashmore" dumps are true and lasting monuments to consumer waste. And someday there'll be no more petrochemicals to make ever-so-useful plastic from.

When all you need is soap ... the Stirling I used this morning is far superior to most cheapo canned creams.

AA

Top Bottom