What's new

Why do they do it?

Ok, so there are probably as many people who prefer straight razors to DE's to cartridge to electric even. Some people like badger, some boar. Everyone has there favourite creams etc and which is "best" is almost entirely down to the preferences and peculiarities of each persons tastes.

But one thing that seems to be universally agreed upon is that shaving foam in a can is utter bobbins.

So why do well known companies that should know better make it? It's not as if Gillette, Wilkinson Sword et al are entirely unitiated in the field...

They make it because they sell millions upon millions upon millions of cans of the stuff. For every one of us that prefer a soap/cream, there's 10,000 guys that mindlessly grab a can of foam or goop off of the shelf at their store.

Most people just want shaving "done" and don't want to deal with all of the frills that we enjoy.

Hmm I suppose so, shame really.

I'm thinking the fact that they go to no trouble to advertise the stuff (unlike the "a blade for every hair" cartridges) should tell everyone all they need to know

Last night I did a little dinner party. Not my favorite couple, but they are sort of relatives. I made a Cajun stew, from scratch, starting with a roux, and it took me an hour and forty five minutes to prepare the meal.

I think most folks would just microwave something.

Most use canned shaving cream.

Same thing. Fast, and done.

But one thing that seems to be universally agreed upon is that shaving foam in a can is utter bobbins.

So why do well known companies that should know better make it? It's not as if Gillette, Wilkinson Sword et al are entirely unitiated in the field...
Saves time and, for many, gives acceptable results. Also, look at the supermarket shelves, it is what is mostly available. Must be good margins in those products; definitely making good profit out of cartridges.

Well my take is.
YOU can use what you use.

I purchased a refill puck of Tabac off of Amazon for $10.25 a year and a half ago. I use it 90% of the time and I still have mabe 10 or 15 shaves left in her.
My all time favorite shave soap. THEY CAN KEEP THE CAN GOOP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It's easy to forget that we represent a very teeny tiny minuscule fraction of shaving consumers.

Why produce something that appeals to .05% of the consumer base when you can make something that appeals to 99% of the consumer base. These companies are in the for profit business. Cartridges and canned cream have HUGE profit margins and a HUGE consumer base.

Some canned creams are actually pretty good. Barbasol with Lanolin (yellow can) is decent. C.O. Bigelow makes a canned cream that isn't bad.

It's just shaving. Do it however you want. We are all accomplishing the same thing.

"Why Do They Do It?"
For the same reason a dog does...because they can.
<rimshot>
I've long stopped hectoring loved ones, co-workers, total strangers, etc on the evils of canned goop and multi-blade monstrosities.
While on vacation recently I encouraged my son to use my travel brush and the Speick stick I brought along (he wouldn't give up using his Mach 3). The one time he shaved that week, I handed over the brush and stick. Five minutes later he's out of the bathroom and I go in for my twenty minute routine. I discover the brush is bone dry, and I later ask what's the deal. He says he smeared some of the stick on his face, and then with a little water hand-lathered it to some form of, well, something. Much like he uses his can of gel at home.
At first I thought he was an animal. He's seen me use a brush, so it's not completely foreign.
Upon further review, he might have something in his approach (not that I'm going to give it a try anytime soon), but his comfort level regarding shaving is at one level and mine at another I guess. He has better things to do with his time instead of, ughhh, shaving...that Facebook page of his won't get updated without him it seems.
He, and his brother, did use The Veg for aftershave that day, so I'll give them that.

Do cartridges work better with canned goop?
That sir is the million dollar question. I want to believe the "they" purposely design canned creams to aid in the performance of the cartridges they make ...but I doubt any such synergy exists and if it does it's by accident.

I still have fond memories of the classic Barbasol. I enjoyed how it felt in my hand and on my face as well as the way it smelled. I've not used the yellow cab version but I'd believe it could be pleasing. I'm inclined to think if I used barbasol with a brush I might just get a good shave regardless of the razor.

No matter who tells you, don't believe the rumor that rubbing canned foam on your mirror prevents fogging...it's a low down dirty lie. I tried it, I ended up spending the better part of an hour trying to rub that mirror clean again and STILL had fogging AND massive amounts of dripping water.

Barbasol on the mirror and "liver and onions is delicious" are the two biggest lies I have fallen victim to.

I love my Omega synthetic brush and a puck of proraso white but I'll always have a can of barbasol or foamy around. Works just fine for me, just not quite as luxurious. In all honesty, some of my best shaves to date have included a can.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Wonder how many cans a shaver puts in a landfill during a lifetime?

How many non-biodegradable plastic razor sticks?

"The answer, my friend ... is blowin' in the wind ... The answer is blowin' in the wind."

AA

Last night I did a little dinner party. Not my favorite couple, but they are sort of relatives. I made a Cajun stew, from scratch, starting with a roux, and it took me an hour and forty five minutes to prepare the meal.

I think most folks would just microwave something.

Most use canned shaving cream.

Same thing. Fast, and done.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Is it the journey? Of the destination? To each their own.

Well my take is.
YOU can use what you use.

I purchased a refill puck of Tabac off of Amazon for $10.25 a year and a half ago. I use it 90% of the time and I still have mabe 10 or 15 shaves left in her.
My all time favorite shave soap. THEY CAN KEEP THE CAN GOOP.

Tabac rocks!!!! Tabac stick is amazing! For me that is. YMMV.

Classic internet BS.

I've been shaving with a DE and canned foam since 1980 with the SAME results as any cream/soap/brush combo I have ever used .The only difference is that I get them within five minutes from start to finish.

MILLIONS of men shaved this way from the late 40s until the late 70s when disposables and cartridges took the SE and DE out.(canned foam had more than 70% of the market from the early 50s and on and NOBODY complained about it and everybody shaved with a DE or SE back than)

Use it CORRECTLY (few people actually know that you have to THOROUGHLY rub it IN your beard and not simply paste it on and most use WAY to much to start with) and you will get a FANTASTIC and FAST shave (I do a 4 pass BBS shave daily since 1980 in five minutes flat).

Once again don't believe the HYPE that some cork sniffers who are fanatic spread about canned foam,get your DE technique down and you will be able to shave with ANY kind of lubrication.

I want to believe the "they" purposely design canned creams to aid in the performance of the cartridges they make ...but I doubt any such synergy exists and if it does it's by accident.

Well canned foam came out in the late 40s (my mid 50s it had the largest share of the market) so since cartridges came out in the late 70s and TIME TRAVELING does not exist your doubts are justified :)

It's easy to forget that we represent a very teeny tiny minuscule fraction of shaving consumers.

Why produce something that appeals to .05% of the consumer base when you can make something that appeals to 99% of the consumer base. These companies are in the for profit business. Cartridges and canned cream have HUGE profit margins and a HUGE consumer base.

Some canned creams are actually pretty good. Barbasol with Lanolin (yellow can) is decent. C.O. Bigelow makes a canned cream that isn't bad.

It's just shaving. Do it however you want. We are all accomplishing the same thing.
This. I enjoy Napa wines, but something like 95% of wines sold in the US cost $15 or less. Enjoying the difference I wouldn't touch those wines, but they are fine for most people.

Top Bottom