What's new

Why do some folks tape the spine when honing?

I have not been able to find a source for some suitable CrOx. My woodworker friends uses compounds that have other abrasives and may be harmful to razors. Can someone provide a link where I can get pure CrOx for razors. Kremers has CrOx in a powder. Would that work? How would it be applied to the strop. Any help would be appreciated.

I have not been able to find a source for some suitable CrOx. My woodworker friends uses compounds that have other abrasives and may be harmful to razors. Can someone provide a link where I can get pure CrOx for razors. Kremers has CrOx in a powder. Would that work? How would it be applied to the strop. Any help would be appreciated.

When I started I used CrOx/FeOx on balsa, but found them to give a toothier, harsher feel. CBN/Diamond give a smoother face feel at the same size range. .5 and .3 film/.25 always left a harsh, too keen feel for me, regardless of the medium.

but I tried one of Slash’s pass arounds with .1 diamond on balsa and it’s an amazingly smooth, supremely sharp edge.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Great thread, I‘ve been honing a short while, managed to get a dozen razors of various states of neglect to shave ready. Some have had serious chipping and geometry issues that I just experimented on to see what actually worked, or didn’t as was often the case. Tape, no tape, worn tape. I’m using the Naniwa Super/Specialty stones in 1K, 3k, 8k, 12k. I will put 5K on Christmas wish list. Figured they would be just a basic way for me to learn and I’ve put lots of time on them ( managed a smoking hot deal as I bought them together). I lap them on 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper on a granite floor tile. I’m using CrOx on the linen side of an old beginner strop I learned on. This set up is all I know so I can’t compare to anything else. I have been able to repair razors, get great shaves with them and not ruin my favourites already in good condition. I figured there was a starting point and so far it’s been a really fun, sometimes frustrating but ultimately rewarding experience.

Good plan. I have also purchased some beaters so that I can learn. I've already ruined my first Dubl Duck, trying to hard to get stains out. But the scales are still good and may come in handy. The razor was only about $20 and it was a lesson learned.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Good plan. I have also purchased some beaters so that I can learn. I've already ruined my first Dubl Duck, trying to hard to get stains out. But the scales are still good and may come in handy. The razor was only about $20 and it was a lesson learned.
Too bad about the Dubl Duck, it happens. Sometimes I’m just flying blind, wondering if I’m doing more harm than good. In the end it’s part of the learning curve I guess, new territory and all. A few of the finds have just been too worn, good for scales like you said at some point when I‘m ready to try that, but some really nice finds also that I’m using regularly. The value aspect of that is really appealing. I just like honing basically........

Too bad about the Dubl Duck, it happens. Sometimes I’m just flying blind, wondering if I’m doing more harm than good. In the end it’s part of the learning curve I guess, new territory and all. A few of the finds have just been too worn, good for scales like you said at some point when I‘m ready to try that, but some really nice finds also that I’m using regularly. The value aspect of that is really appealing. I just like honing basically........
I haven't given up. Its been a lazy day and it looks like I can bring that duck back. I'm hoping to post a picture in a week or two.

Slash, why the (potential) overlap with the 1k Chosera and SS? Is there something the 1k SS does better than the Chosera?

Eastcoast, I always have to pitch in my affinity for DMT's... but others seem to have difficulty with the 8k. It requires a bit of a sense for feedback and pressure and regular cleaning.

Can you tell me more about pressure and cleaning.

I am searching for a new progression and am looking at shapton 1k, 4k, 8k.

But I see that for a hundred bucks I can get a two sided dmt duosharp, with stand, that is 9u and 3u. Then I go to a natural finisher.

I only ever thought of diamond lapping plates, as well, for lapping other hones, not for honing. But if this works, its something that would stay flat. And should last long. And seems to be super cheap.

There must be some reason why we're not all using them.

8" DMT DuoSharp Bench Stone (sharpeningsupplies.com)

Top Bottom